10+ Year Old Account

Planescape Torment: Enhanced Edition

http://store.steampowered.com/app/466300/

Released 4 days ago. I didn't even know they were working on it.

The original Planescape: Torment was released in 1999 to widespread critical acclaim. It won RPG of the Year from multiple outlets for its unconventional story, characters, and amazing soundtrack. Since then, millions of Planescape: Torment fans have enjoyed exploring the strange and dangerous city of Sigil and surrounding planes through the Nameless One's eyes.

Discover an incredibly rich story and a unique setting unlike anything else in fantasy. Defeat strange and alien creatures, engage in rich dialogue, and explore the dark and dangerous Planescape setting in this 50+ hour RPG classic.

This is Planescape: Torment like you’ve never seen before.
    Story
    "What can change the nature of a man?"

You are the Nameless One, a hulking figure covered in scars and tattoos collected over the course of countless lives—none of which you can remember, but are now coming back to haunt you. You are prodded awake by Morte, a floating skull and keeper of secrets, to embark on an adventure taking The Nameless One from the dirty streets of Sigil into the mysterious Outer Planes and even into the depths of Hell itself.

Portals riddle the planar metropolis of Sigil, providing access to anywhere in existence, but only if you have the proper key. Known as the "City of Doors," Sigil is a neutral ground where demons, devas, and races from across the multiverse gather under the watchful shadow of the Lady of Pain, the city's enigmatic ruler. This is a place where the word is mightier than the sword, where thought defines reality, and belief has the power to reshape worlds.

In your search for answers, you'll find companions matching the bizarre nature of the planes: a chaste succubus who can kill with a kiss, a confused crossbow-wielding cube, a suit of armor animated by a spirit demanding JUSTICE, and more. With these companions and others at The Nameless One’s side, you will explore worlds in search of answers, all to discover that some destinies cannot be escaped and some memories cost more than an even an immortal can bear.
    Features
    Enhanced Planescape: Chris Avellone, Lead Designer on Planescape Torment, has partnered with Beamdog to curate gameplay updates, bug fixes, and enhancements to best capture his original vision for the game.
    The Planes Await: Planescape is a setting you've never experienced before, filled with strange magics, strange adversaries, and Dungeons & Dragons locations from across the multiverse.
    Conversations to Remember: Encounter personable items, philosophic undead, and rat hiveminds while walking the planes with the strangest collection of allies ever seen in an RPG.
    Pick Your Path: Character creation is just the beginning. The Nameless One can change his class, alignment, and even gain new abilities based on your choices.
    Remastered Music: The full Planescape: Torment soundtrack has been remastered in-game to add more depth to Sigil and the multiverse.
    4K Interface: Sigil has never looked this good! The interface of Planescape: Torment has been rebuilt in high definition with tons of new convenience features.
    A Planescape For Today: The Enhanced Edition includes modern features such as tab highlighting, area zooming, combat log, quickloot, and more!
    Play It Your Way: Enable Enhanced Edition features as you desire or turn them off to experience Planescape: Torment in its original glory.
    Cast Comprehend Languages: Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition is available in English, French, Polish, German, and Korean. Note: Korean translations are text only with voice-overs played in English.
    If you haven't played this game yet... GET IT NOW! I'd say $20 is a fair price for the game with the best story and dialogues in the history of gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    I'm not touching anything touched by Beamdog ever again, the Enanched edition of BG and BG2 were terrible and the only "enanched" thing they had were the bugs
    I understand that there were challenge with missing asset and other things, and I sympathize, I'll be ok in giving them another chance if they release something they'll develop from the ground up.

As far as the "enanched" edition go, they can keep them. The regular version of the games that WERE on GoG, worked perfectly fine on new systems. Sadly they are no longer available, supplanted by the enanched, apparently.
    Last edited by mmoc89084f456c; 2017-04-15 at 10:06 AM.

Beamdog? I refuse to ever touch a product of theirs again. Besides changing up things in Baldur's Gate (for the worse in many cases) what they did with BG2 and pushing an agenda was pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Beamdog? I refuse to ever touch a product of theirs again. Besides changing up things in Baldur's Gate (for the worse in many cases) what they did with BG2 and pushing an agenda was pathetic.
    I have to agree here. While I do play games for enjoyment and try not to get involved in all that crap whenever I see shit like that in games I know to avoid them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I have to agree here. While I do play games for enjoyment and try not to get involved in all that crap whenever I see shit like that in games I know to avoid them.
    Exactly, I mean sometimes if a story calls for it, go for it. But to go back many years later and just add whatever you feel like is against the spirit of remastering a game. Sure they call it 'enhanced' but that does not mean they enhanced it in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Exactly, I mean sometimes if a story calls for it, go for it. But to go back many years later and just add whatever you feel like is against the spirit of remastering a game. Sure they call it 'enhanced' but that does not mean they enhanced it in a good way.
    This is what I find ok personally.

FF1 for example. Remakes retcon Cid in by mention so it seems he appeared or was known in all the games since Cid wasn't mentioned or in the original FF1. That to me is fine.

Not ok. Some game trying to push some real world politics or whatever in a game. Games are for fun. Not pushing your bullcrap personal agenda on people.

Also to keep on topic I will not buying the remaster. Partly because of what they did with BG but mostly because I still have the original running on my Windows 98 PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    This is what I find ok personally.

FF1 for example. Remakes retcon Cid in by mention so it seems he appeared or was known in all the games since Cid wasn't mentioned or in the original FF1. That to me is fine.

Not ok. Some game trying to push some real world politics or whatever in a game. Games are for fun. Not pushing your bullcrap personal agenda on people.

Also to keep on topic I will not buying the remaster. Partly because of what they did with BG but mostly because I still have the original running on my Windows 98 PC.
    That is a good example on the Cid thing, it is a small touch to add some flavor and didn't really harm much. But having political/racial/etc whatever in a game seems really...I wish I had a good word for it, petty? cheap? Disgusting maybe?

I never did play the original but man I've heard the game talked up enough. If it was just a try remaster with 0 changes I might look at it. But you know what you get with Beamdog and that is why they won't get a cent from me.

10+ Year Old Account
    To those that have played some of it so far, is it technically well functioning, e.g not buggy as all hell like some previous "Enhanced Editions" from them?

That's about the one thing that'd keep me from jumping at the chance for a PS:T campaign, without needing to deal with the issues of running the game on any hardware that isn't 10+ years old.

15+ Year Old Account
    Fucking Beamdog.. "Let's Crowbar a Transgender character in!" Even though the Sword coast had literal magic that can change gender.. (See cursed belt from one of the first ogres, Edwin getting changed into a woman)

I' recently played Torment again (using http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.no/2...ly-modded.html) It's a pain but it works
    Last edited by Trollhammer; 2017-04-15 at 11:48 AM.

This is is my least favorite of the EE released so far. It's kinda hard to tell the characters apart from the backgrounds. The dark outlines sorta don't help either. I feel like some color saturation went on as well which hurts my eyes contrasted by the still awfully "rendered" portraits and menus.

Good job on the text though. I haven't played PS:T in a long while due to not being able to see the damn text. It's nice now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazorf View Post
    I'm not touching anything touched by Beamdog ever again, the Enanched edition of BG and BG2 were terrible and the only "enanched" thing they had were the bugs
    I understand that there were challenge with missing asset and other things, and I sympathize, I'll be ok in giving them another chance if they release something they'll develop from the ground up.

As far as the "enanched" edition go, they can keep them. The regular version of the games that WERE on GoG, worked perfectly fine on new systems. Sadly they are no longer available, supplanted by the enanched, apparently.
    I haven't had any issues with BG/BG2 Enhanced Editions: no bugs, no trouble running on my system, etc. That said, I haven't really played the vanilla versions, so I can't compare.

Regarding Planescape: Torment specifically, it was a bit of a pain to set it up and run in widescreen resolutions. That problem is supposed to be fixed. Sound/music quality is improved as well, which is amazing, since P:T music is truly breathtaking and deserves a remaster. Also, people say that, unlike BG/BG2, with P:T Beamdog didn't introduce any new content whatsoever, so the game plays exactly like the original, with some bugs fixed and pathing and a few other minor things improved. There are also reportedly some gameplay enhancements you can turn on and off, although I'm not sure what they do exactly.

---

To those who haven't played the original game and consider buying this one, keep in mind that combat in Planescape: Torment is widely considered to be... not great. And while the majority of the game is focused on the story and dialogues, there are a few parts, as well as the last ~25% of the game, that are combat-focused, and they are a bit of a pain to play.

If you are into great stories and dialogues, this is definitely the game for you regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This is is my least favorite of the EE released so far. It's kinda hard to tell the characters apart from the backgrounds. The dark outlines sorta don't help either. I feel like some color saturation went on as well which hurts my eyes contrasted by the still awfully "rendered" portraits and menus.
    Wasn't it like this in the original game though?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Best game I ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Sorta. I feel there was less color saturation than in the EE version. Also the EE version, being enhanced, should ideally improve the look of the game for modern hardware. It looks kinda blurry.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I haven't had any issues with BG/BG2 Enhanced Editions: no bugs, no trouble running on my system, etc. That said, I haven't really played the vanilla versions, so I can't compare.

Regarding Planescape: Torment specifically, it was a bit of a pain to set it up and run in widescreen resolutions. That problem is supposed to be fixed. Sound/music quality is improved as well, which is amazing, since P:T music is truly breathtaking and deserves a remaster. Also, people say that, unlike BG/BG2, with P:T Beamdog didn't introduce any new content whatsoever, so the game plays exactly like the original, with some bugs fixed and pathing and a few other minor things improved. There are also reportedly some gameplay enhancements you can turn on and off, although I'm not sure what they do exactly.

---

To those who haven't played the original game and consider buying this one, keep in mind that combat in Planescape: Torment is widely considered to be... not great. And while the majority of the game is focused on the story and dialogues, there are a few parts, as well as the last ~25% of the game, that are combat-focused, and they are a bit of a pain to play.

If you are into great stories and dialogues, this is definitely the game for you regardless.

Fair enough experiences may vary. I clearly remember that in more than one places I had to use console commands to advance certain quest lines cause if you didn't do them in a certain orders you were stuck, this was especially true with the additional party members, first time I had to do that was with the Vampire one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Wasn't too impressed with BG/BG2 enchanced editions but really like ID one. Then again, i will pass on torment - played it way too much back in the day.

And isn't GoG version much cheaper anyway ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    And isn't GoG version much cheaper anyway ?
    Gog usually removes games from their catalogue when they add enhanced editions. At least that was the case for the BG titles.

I got the message for PS:T too, a few days ago. I get to keep the old version in my game library, because I already bought it. But they plan to remove (or already have done so) it from the store.
    [e] Just checked, I can't find the old PS:T in the store anymore. So it seems they did remove it from there for the sake of the EE.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    You can and imo should cheat on Torment. A fuckton of content will not be available without you have very high Stats and the combat is neither challenging nor fun. Play a mage because some of the spell effects in the high level spells are amazing (and Ignis should be sent to the Plane of Ice).

Torment used to have 2-3 broken quests. Parts of them were in the game files but it was not possible to complete them. I do wonder if they restored those properly
    Yeah I played through the game with a strategy guide at some point because the 'best' ending is only available if you follow a pretty limited path to pick up all possible Int/Wis increases because you need 30+ in both.

Still tho, Best RPG I ever played.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death