Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ...
    Personally, I think we need to pull back our military and only engage in trade on the International scene. It's time to bring the focus back home.

Other nations' problems are not our concern. They need to be able to grow by learning to deal with their own problems. There is nothing in this world that is comparable to the Axis of WWII. There is just no need for a world police or savior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    Personally, I think we need to pull back our military and only engage in trade on the International scene. It's time to bring the focus back home.

Other nations' problems are not our concern. They need to be able to grow by learning to deal with their own problems. There is nothing in this world that is comparable to the Axis of WWII. There is just no need for a world police or savior.
    So your opinion is that after you've created masses of problems, you should just wander off and other people should have to handle cleaning them up.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    The WWII bit is funny considering you only entered after you were attacked in 1941. Both WW1 and WW2 didn't matter until you were directly affected; implying you were acting as world police or saviour is frankly laughable.
    Last edited by Lollis; 2018-06-25 at 04:37 AM.
    Speciation Is Gradual

I feel like theres some column A column B to this.

Yes the united states is helpful as a global peacekeeper and military juggernaught capable of throwing its economic and military might around to force people to toe the line. That in alot of ways is good because every other huge country with a similar power is objectively shitty (China, Russia etc). Unfortunately, the problem America has with foreign policy isn't so much that it intervenes - its that every 4 to 8 years your decisions on what to do can entirely flip because your president changes. Depending on who's in charge at the time America can range from benevolent older brother to schoolyard bully.

More importantly, America kind of NEEDS the status quo. You need all those foreign nations that rely on you to keep relying on you because for all you spend on military, if you just brought all your soldiers home from everywhere - totally disregarding the effect that would have outside the states - you'd have total chaos. You just don't need that many soldiers on your own soil. You'd have a shit ton of trained fighters either being booted because noone can afford to pay soldiers that arent doing anything, or getting into trouble because having all that manpower on hand and nothing to do with it is tempting for even the stoutest of leaders. It would cause serious domestic issues for you guys either way.

America's relationship with its allies is largely symbiotic. Yeah you could say you get whined at for solving other peoples problems, but frankly, if you didn't solve them then all your allies would quickly be overtaken by your the actions of your enemies. You think a russia dominated europe is going to let you have all those fancy bases dotting the land you have now? Cut you any slack on trading? Hell, trade with you at fucking all? I realize its an extreme example, but harken back to the cold war and recognize that most of the world stage for america still functions on that mind set. People don't get mad at america for meddling, people get mad because you meddle and are hyper nationalistic ass clowns about it who often dont seem to appreciate that you get just as much out of other people as they do out of you.

Which is something the whole world is making a point of now that Trump has decided to start all these trade wars or whatever.

None . US is world bully .

In history there was always a bully nation and now its US . nothing new .

Other nations' problems are not our concern. They need to be able to grow by learning to deal with their own problems.
    Does that include the ones that are your fault? Ahaha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

They will certainly become your problems in the future if left unattended. Do you think you're there for altruistic reasons or something?

The middle east will absolutely become problematic on a global scale if left to its own devices. Are America (and everyone else) making it better or worse by the actions they are taking? Who knows. Doing nothing certainly isn't an option that is in the best interests of America or the globe though.

I don't think the hyperbole about everyone hating America is really true. Like most western countries at the moment there is a huge spike in political radicalism and in the case of the USA it has manifested in a way that makes it easy to laugh at from the outside, but the reality is they still do most of the heavy lifting whichever Muppet is at the helm. What isn't true though is that the sudden disappearance of the USA would suddenly implode global peace, such as it is. Vacuums don't exist for long when there is an impetus for them to be filled. What or who would fill it is a different question. It probably wouldn't be as fundamentally "western" as it is now, but that's not intrinsically good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by LoLcano View Post
    None . US is world bully .

In history there was always a bully nation and now its US . nothing new .

I don't know if bully is the best word, but we have inherited a role of some sort from the British empire (btw one map is British empire at its height and one is any sort of us military presence). How would you describe Germany in ww2 and soviet union post ww2? Japan pre and during ww2 its hardly ever one nation so powerful like it has been until recently. But there definitely seems to be some sort of passing of the baton between the British empire and the USA, I am not saying either were objectively a force for good but I would argue stability (this is not justification for occupation fuck the warsaw pact). There are also moments during the tenure of US world police that are shameful like some of the stuff we have pulled in central and south america (Monroe doctrine dates back to almost the beginning of the USA and has prevented any sort of Napoleonic, american civil war, or world war sized conflicts but most of these countries are in really bad shape), or Vietnam (Overall this was a disaster, but some part of me likes to think that there was value in showing the communist bloc that the US is willing to round up hundreds of thousands kids to go die to fight communism), and our whole relationship with Iran. Iran has been pretty unreasonable lately but, this is the 1 situation where I would say the US is the cause of problems, Persians seem to actually be some of the most progressive people in the middle east, yet due to bad foreign policy they are are our sworn enemies.

That being said, I think the US is still the best option for continued world wide peace and prosperity as far as a dominant power in the world.

China is a bit of a wild card, it is an ancient nation that has probably never been this united or powerful, they seemed to be largely drive by a rational self interest, but are still a somewhat oppressive dictatorship (especially with term limits being recently abolished). Their human rights record is pretty bad, but some things that people really hate like their actions in Tibet might not be that bad (The people of Tiber are probably much better off). But again China has never been too much of a trouble maker.

Russia. Russia did most of the heavy lifting in defeating fascism, but it wasn't altruistic really. The Russian people were faced with total annihilation and rose to the challenge. There were many atrocities however such as the katyn massacre and treatment of German civilians on their offensive, but I am kind of hesitant to condemn any soviet atrocities in WW2, the Germans weren't just trying to beat the Russians... they were trying to delete them from existence. None of this excuses half a century of occupation of the eastern bloc, or stuff like prague spring, hungarian revolution in the 50s, or all the Polish uprisings. Additionally my own personal opinion is that their current foreign policy is just as problematic as the US's if not more so with their shadow wars. Also this largely seems like a dictatorship.

The EU bloc with France/Germany/ (Maybe UK?) also has some problems. This may be the only party that I have discussed that might be overall more "good." Their tactics and long term strategies aren't as controversial as the US, but they lack the power that the US/China/Russia have (unless there is an event that somehow unifies Europe for one cause [this is a fairy tale]) they are just too splintered. Additionally its not like these countries are altar boys themselves. Germany always seems to be a very powerful force, and they seem to be nice in my experience but as far as I am considered they have two strikes. The UK had the war with Egypt, after that they can't just thrust world policing on the US, retreat to their Island and claim moral high ground. France is different internally than the US in a lot of ways, but I feel like if France ruled the world it would look very similar to the way it does today (+ they basically did in Libya what we did in Iraq). But I admit the world might be slightly better off under EU world police than USA if they could coordinate it.
    Signature deleted due to it violating the rules. Please read the signature rules for more info.

Involvement ? LOL
    When you want to act as a 'savior' you need to have certain standards, if Switzerland for example went and acted like that I would have accepted it,
    but this is power hunger, which is a typical behavior due to the USA Land origins and history how they eliminated massively the native Americans, because to me the majority are just 'Strangers', if you want to be the ambassador of peace make sure you don't have sick people in the military and questionable behavior.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Ghraib_torture_and_prisoner_abuse

Just check the images and you will understand that there is no military that does such thing can be called a Savior. EVER ...

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    There is something that really bugs me when it comes to the way the USA is viewed by many foreigners, and some people in our country as well.

America gets this negative attitude when it comes to how we behave in the world. We are called the world police and are criticized for it; however, exactly where would we be without America? American hemogony is very likely what leads to our current times of less wars, and little major global conflict (compared to the past) we aren't without issues in the world but without us, and if we weren't so involved in the world where exactly would the rest of the world be?

We are the world's greatest deterrant being that we are the world's wealthiest nation and the world's most powerful nation and the world's only superpower.

When the issues with Libya began we didn't immediately act and were urged to by Europe, where many of the countries were previously complaining of our "world police" like behaviour.

Frankly America is the healer, extremely important, under appreciated when doing their job well, vilified when things go wrong.
    Nobody outside the US thinks of the US as world police anymore. Much less saviour. Troublemaker and kindergarten is more like it. Stop revelling in past glory.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    What exactly did Trump do that made the situation in the middle East worse?

We kept being sent into problems on behalf of messed that the old colonial powers created. Literally all of them. Korea, Vietnam, the middle East, Africa. Every military action we have taken is to try to help the people there.
    First off all off the above goes to multiple US presidents.

But what did trump do to make it worse: Israel moving of embassy, Iran deal , launching missile's into Syria to name some.

Nope, go back to school please. The arab spring belt was mostly either russia or ottaman empire country's before all of this. The rest have been a mess for a long time. South africa is a colonial power mess. North africa is not.
    North africa was mostly colony's or old ottoman empire country's or russian country. That where left alone. Had a decent or on there way governments. But where taken over by dictators. Some even with the help of america ( remember some of what later became the taliban where trained by the CIA to fight the russians).
    And if we take a look at the rest of your "list"

Korea, Vietnam: Both could have been a whole country ( and where) after EU country's left them. But when they had to choose ( between commie or kapi) and could not get 1 straight flow. They started both those wars.

The middle east: First the ottoman empire: After that, regimes like Saddam rises to power. Between those times EU had enough shit of their own to deal with ( stock market crash, WW2 to name a few things).
    . So that is pretty much the whole of the middle east. And some of these regimes where trained, helped or created because of the CIA.

africa: Ill give you that. That was a mess. And in places still is. But you have not taken ANY action here as a country. Period and here some more periods.......

man please go back to school. You clearly do not know world history.

here some of the fun CIA/USA things:
    - In 1947, the CIA helped topple the government of Syria. Over in Iran, the CIA also had a role in overthrowing the government in 1953.
    - In 1980 they helped IRAQ vs IRAN
    - 1953: Iran – CIA overthrows the democratically elected Mohammed Mossadegh in a military coup, after he threatened to nationalize British oil. The CIA replaces him with a dictator, the Shah of Iran, whose secret police, SAVAK, is as brutal as the Gestapo.
    - 1954 Guatemala — CIA overthrows the democratically elected Jacob Arbenz in a military coup. Arbenz has threatened to nationalize the Rockefeller-owned United Fruit Company, in which CIA Director Allen Dulles also owns stock. Arbenz is replaced with a series of right-wing dictators whose bloodthirsty policies will kill over 100,000 Guatemalans in the next 40 years.

Above is just 4 "small" things.

Here some fun read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United..._regime_change

Short version: Some of your country's are old colonial messes. But most of them where on track to becoming better until russia or america did something. And some of your country's EU was not even there for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Energy Mitten View Post
    Hate to break your bubble, but despite Trump, the US is still showing signs of improving. Coal plants are still being shut down and emissiosn continue to drop. I know Trump has become a vehicle for people that unironically believe "Amerikkka evil", but even despite him the US is still a force of good.
    The force of good that still churns out more emissions than whole europe, that emission drop is easly dwarfed by the chinese. And a country cannot be evil. The US just acts irrationally for the last 30 years. In actually began with bush senior. And under current leadership this won't change. What good is a force of good when there is no war to police?
    ah yes, lets make a new war. which country will it be? the list is getting short after these 20 years

Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    Please elaborate how Russia and Iran bombing Syria and displacing 10 million of its citizens is USA's fault. If you were displeased with how things were going in Syria, you should have interfered, you have an army after all. The USA is damned if they go to war and they are also damned if they don't it seems. How about EU sorts shit out near its own borders?
    Are you serious right now? The Russians bombed Syria? And that leading to 10 million refugees? Wow what planet do you live on?