Page 1 of 2
LastLast

ATTN: Custom Lag Tolerance was automatically set to 400, Causing input delay

This is what is causing what many of you may be experiencing, you press a keybinding and it just ques up feels like a ton of lag? Ya.. Sorry heres why, and how too fix it!
    i believe this is important as almost my entire guild experienced it and caused us too call raid for the night as healing just felt slow and lack luster, delayed etc.

Credit goes too: Sairal on reddit
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...matically_set/
    /dump GetCVar("SpellQueueWindow")
    To see what it's currently set at. You want it to be at your normal latency. So, if you normally get 60 ping, you then want to type
    /console SpellQueueWindow 60
    This fixed a lot of issues myself and friends were having with game abilities feeling off.

EDIT:
    Thanks Winter Blossom for bringing this comment up from reddit user chapukwuk in the post
    Looked it up some more and it looks like 400 ms was the default spell queue window long before 7.2. If you were using custom lag tolerance setting you would definetely notice a change as your old cvar settings where discarded and you were switched over to the default. I've not been using a custom setting so I don't think it's the problem for me.

Here is from an old mod from 2011:

"Generally, setting your Lag Tolerance to even 400ms isn't detrimental any more, as the "ability-lock" first introduced with the Ability Queue is no longer in place (i.e. hitting an ability after an ability has been queued will now override the queued ability)."
    Last edited by Burnick; 2017-03-29 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    This comment from that link may be important -
    Ya I noticed that as well! Thanks for adding it!

- - - Updated - - -

BUmpin 10 characters

10+ Year Old Account
    I will be sure to share this with my guild this evening, thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Finally, this explains it. I had a terrible time in what little we could do in heroic Nighthold (bug, bugs everywhere) because my input lag was extreme.

I think the word "lag tolerance" is not quite right.

I experimented with the setting a bit and all i can tell is that this setting just alters how you can use a skill after another.
    (Tested as a rogue with faint, 1s gcd, spamable ability)

When it is set to "0" you can spam buttons but the skill will only fire when the gcd is over.
    When it is set to "400" you can press a new ability in a 400ms window before the gcd is finished (1sek = 1000ms, so after 600ms of the gcd)
    and the skill will be put in a queue.
    I use an addon to get all the pruned options back and before 7.2 i had "lag tolerance" disabled (there was a mark to set, but the time was still at 400)

I think a lower setting is good for button spammers and a higher setting can be good for people who only press keys once.
    You can test it yourself, all it does (with a normal 20-35 ping) is to add a queue window when the gcd is running.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creativlol View Post
    I think the word "lag tolerance" is not quite right.
    You can test it yourself, all it does (with a normal 20-35 ping) is to add a queue window when the gcd is running.
    Which is...probably exactly why Blizzard changed the name from Custom Lag Tolerance to Spell Queue Window.

oh my goodness. thank you. all raid yesterday i was like "whoa this raid is really laggy but my ping is still 15..."

400? good grief that is a really bad default for a setting that you can't configure in the ui :s (unless it has been moved somewhere secret that i can't find)

"there was a bug yesterday (hotfixed now) where clients weren't getting a GCD on queued spells, effectively forcing *600ms*.
    So if anyone played yesterday and thought "This 400ms window feels terrible", that's a misunderstanding. Give it another try.
    It was actually "600ms, plus client not showing GCDs" that felt terrible."
    https://twitter.com/Celestalon/statu...11120582467584

Some more test ? I don't know what to do now with 25ms. I set to 250 and when i had a lot of hast, it's still look weird.

Fyi, i play fury, and the GCD look totally broken ..
    Last edited by Missyl; 2017-03-30 at 09:56 PM.

I set mine to 100 and it feels drastically improved over their default 400. My typical ping is ~80ms.

Edit: The input lag was still extremely noticeable during my raid last night even after their supposed hotfix. As I said setting mine to 100 makes it feel like it did pre 7.2.

my god thank you.

I was going crazy.

Homophobia is so gay.

if you set it to 0 and i spam a button that's on gcd, does that mean no spell will be queued at all until the gcd is over? That would mean in a whole 15 minute fight i probably gonna miss a few spells, just because i didnt hit the button the exact moment the spell was gone from gcd?

Deleted
    A lot of higher-level players use AHK for spamming abilities.

The best setting for them(and me) is 0. Now I don't know if it actually disables the queueing function itself at 0 though. Would love it if it did, but alas probably not, just with a detrimental parameter set at 0, effectively negating it, but still eating cpu cycles.

I personally wouldn't reccomend other than 0 to anyone serious about the game. World latency(the non-instanced content) is so bad, and has been bad for over 4 years at least now as far as I can remember. You will get a spell running at (RTT IIRC)130ms, next at 80ms, another 60ms, then 48, 49, 152, etc. The worst kind of lag, the random varying kind. Queuing for the single pressers is prob. preferable because of that exact reason, you press once and forget and don't even care about it but...
    Any reactionary play is quite terrible though, and it's also why wpvp is utter shite for another reason, IMO. Idk what they are doing, but likely some anti-cheat service running on the background or some shit on their servers, QoS doing it's fair share of holding packet delivery.

Instanced content though, solid ~39-42 +- 5-10ms, stable. No dips of +50ms(which is noticable), again, don't know why, better servers? No shitty second-guessing services running or something I guess, I mean it's hard to find a reason to fly-hack in a raid I suppose.

But yeah... it's a controversial topic and the best solution is often to not use said feature for people who actually want any sort of reactionary play. A middle ground is possible for people who don't use certain *cough* programs to enhance their play but outside of that, heh, meh, whatever. It's pretty bad in most cases though, especially out in the world if the setting is relatively high...

I do wonder why they removed the other 2, unless they actually improved on it, but hearing "input lag", and "delay" from you guys, tells enough that it's still probably worthless.
    The old CVARs were:
    reducedLagTolerance - the toggle on/off
    MaxSpellStartRecoveryoffset - the actual parameter in ms on how far off the queuing starts.

My latency to my target server, is 26-28ms. Tat is the visible ping when you hover over the computer icon on the lower screen.

My 2cents.

Deleted
    AdvancedInterfaceOptions also allows you to change this in game in Combat sub section.

Quote Originally Posted by NadEFurY View Post
    A lot of higher-level players use AHK for spamming abilities.

The best setting for them(and me) is 0. Now I don't know if it actually disables the queueing function itself at 0 though. Would love it if it did, but alas probably not, just with a detrimental parameter set at 0, effectively negating it, but still eating cpu cycles.

I personally wouldn't reccomend other than 0 to anyone serious about the game. World latency(the non-instanced content) is so bad, and has been bad for over 4 years at least now as far as I can remember. You will get a spell running at (RTT IIRC)130ms, next at 80ms, another 60ms, then 48, 49, 152, etc. The worst kind of lag, the random varying kind. Queuing for the single pressers is prob. preferable because of that exact reason, you press once and forget and don't even care about it but...
    Any reactionary play is quite terrible though, and it's also why wpvp is utter shite for another reason, IMO. Idk what they are doing, but likely some anti-cheat service running on the background or some shit on their servers, QoS doing it's fair share of holding packet delivery.

Instanced content though, solid ~39-42 +- 5-10ms, stable. No dips of +50ms(which is noticable), again, don't know why, better servers? No shitty second-guessing services running or something I guess, I mean it's hard to find a reason to fly-hack in a raid I suppose.

But yeah... it's a controversial topic and the best solution is often to not use said feature for people who actually want any sort of reactionary play. A middle ground is possible for people who don't use certain *cough* programs to enhance their play but outside of that, heh, meh, whatever. It's pretty bad in most cases though, especially out in the world if the setting is relatively high...

I do wonder why they removed the other 2, unless they actually improved on it, but hearing "input lag", and "delay" from you guys, tells enough that it's still probably worthless.
    The old CVARs were:
    reducedLagTolerance - the toggle on/off
    MaxSpellStartRecoveryoffset - the actual parameter in ms on how far off the queuing starts.

My latency to my target server, is 26-28ms. Tat is the visible ping when you hover over the computer icon on the lower screen.

My 2cents.
    blue post said that anything <100 is basically the same like 100. No difference so im curious about what these settings really do.

Deleted
    Do you have a link to it, I'm actually curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    blue post said that anything <100 is basically the same like 100. No difference so im curious about what these settings really do.
    It's because they're estimating that nobody is spamming their buttons 10 times per second throughout an entire raid encounter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warning: If you put it to 0, you will completely remove the spell queue system.

What's the spell queue? It's what allows you to press an attack before your previous one is finished so your character can chain them seamlessly.

400 is too big, but I would ask you to cautiously play with it until you find a comfortable value.

I personally use 250.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

There's an addon that automatically adjusts lag tolerance based on current ping and updates every 30s or so. I forget what it's called at the moment but it was mentioned in the Reddit post about this same issue. I downloaded it and have noticed an improvement in all situations, even when grouping with people from Oceanic servers.