Poll: Is WoW the best MMO on the Market?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Simple question. In your opinion, is WoW the best MMO on the market today?

If not, what is in your opinion?
    the best fantasy mmo yes, the sci fi mmo king still eve for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Liarparadox View Post
    Well no shit. I didn't suggest otherwise; in fact I clearly wrote that is substantially subjective. And that there are also objective things to consider as well. But none of that is sufficient to entail that there is "no answer". That's just silly. Obviously the OP is asking for an opinion. No shit. Do people think they are raising some edgy or insightful point by pointing out that "it's subjective"? Again, no shit. That's what the OP is asking, for an opinion on the best MMO. But these posts: oh it's subjective so there is no answer. Well that's just a non sequitur.
    It's not substantially subjective. It is completely subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunaveil View Post
    It's not substantially subjective. It is completely subjective.
    Well now you're just splitting hairs. I think your statement is pretty obviously false. But let's pretend it is entirely subjective. Even if true, it doesn't get the entailment that there is no answer. In fact it precludes such an entailment altogether. Let it be entirely subjective as you suggest; so what? The OP's questions is a perfectly good one with many possible answers. Far from 'no answer'. And this hairsplitting is nothing but an attempt to recover.

Deleted
    Well now you're just splitting hairs. I think your statement is pretty obviously false. But let's pretend it is entirely subjective. Even if true, it doesn't get the entailment that there is no answer. In fact it precludes such an entailment altogether. Let it be entirely subjective as you suggest; so what? The OP's questions is a perfectly good one with many possible answers. Far from 'no answer'. And this hairsplitting is nothing but an attempt to recover.
    No, because I wasn't responding to them. You were. I was responding to you. It is entirely subjective.

I don't disagree, there is definitely not "no answer". I am saying that each answer is entirely subjective. No hair splitting.

No, because I wasn't responding to them. You were. I was responding to you. It is entirely subjective.

I don't disagree, there is definitely not "no answer". I am saying that each answer is entirely subjective. No hair splitting.
    Oh you've moved the goal post my friend. You're grasping now. I'll grant you your 100% subjectivity. No interest in convincing someone the sky is a different colour. It's a trivial point at best (i.e. the point of my post doesn't depend on such a claim in the first place).
    Last edited by Liarparadox; 2017-04-17 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balager View Post
    FFXIV is objectively better than wow in everything beside PVP, race variety and item bonuses. And does not have a glamour(our word for transmog) log. Yet.

Better graphics
    Sub races
    Better story
    More ways to level
    Better music
    Housing
    zero need for alts
    more interesting profession system
    patches and expansion have much more stuff in them and come with at maximum four months between them.
    stuff in bold isn't objective.

Deleted
    Oh you've moved the goal post my friend. You're grasping now. I'll grant you your 100% subjectivity. No interest in convincing someone the sky is a different colour. It's a trivial point at best (i.e. the point of my post doesn't depend on such a claim in the first place).
    No goalposts have been moved. I've said the same thing in every post I have made. I don't need to offer an act of contrition because you believe I was defending the previous poster's argument. I wasn't.

No goalposts have been moved. I've said the same thing in every post I have made. I don't need to offer an act of contrition because you believe I was defending the previous poster's argument. I wasn't.
    Again. Your point is entirely trivial if that's your only point. It makes absolutely no difference to the point of my post. You can have your subjectivity. What a hairsplitting/trivial issue.

Business wise, yes. It's also got the most active players of all MMOs. That's just Blizzard's quality shining through.

When it comes to gameplay and content, that's subjective. I hate ESO and love WoW, but there are people who love ESO and hate WoW.
    "Leave your personal feedback, don't try to convince them that "everyone" hates something." - Ion Hazzikostas
    It's actually Wowhead, if I quoted directly from Ion the signature would drag out too long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends what you mean by "Best", as how you determine that is highly subjective. There have been MMO's that have offered things that have done things better than WoW in some aspects, but haven't managed to be as successful as Warcraft has been, but have their own followings that feel those games are better than WoW.

If you value the game's success as determining it's the best MMO, sure. The game is 12 years old now and still going stronger than most(if not all) other MMORPGs, the revenue it has generated over the years has done wonders for Blizzard, allowed them to increase the size of their development team and probably safely allow them to form development teams for other projects.

In my own opinion though, what makes WoW better than those games is the sheer experience Blizzard have at maintaining an online game of such scale and the resources they can afford to put into further developing it. For the most part WoW just works and has few major issues, with Blizzard having reached a point where the issues that do crop up can be easily fixed within a timely manner, not always even requiring a downloaded patch to even do so, just hot-fixed on their end. This stability is likely one of the reasons so many people end up coming back.

As a little side note; part of WoW's success probably isn't even to do with it necessarily being "The better MMORPG" though, just the circumstance of being the first MMO to make it to such mainstream heights, pulling in a great number of people who wouldn't normally play the MMO genre, and then hooking them due to the investment in their characters. But again, subjective opinion is subjective, WoW could be the best and not the best for any number of opinions.

Impossible to answer since I doubt any of us have played them all to judge fairly.

However it's the best MMO of all the dozen or so I have played.

Deleted
    Again. Your point is entirely trivial if that's your only point. It makes absolutely no difference to the point of my post. You can have your subjectivity. What a hairsplitting/trivial issue.
    I didn't realise my point had to be intellectually stimulating to be worthy of posting. You'd best tell the others. Is this better?

It's certainly not trivial, it's an important distinction to make. It is entirely subjective, not partly, not substantially, not mostly; entirely. I'm emphasising, because subjective doesn't have a scale. You don't measure "best". It is an opinion, something you feel yourself. You were suggesting you could some how compare my best to your best.

The point of your post is irrelevant to what I posted. I didn't challenge the entirety of your post, just the point where you said it was not entirely subjective.

I didn't challenge the entirety of your post, just the point where you said it was not entirely subjective.
    Which is trivial.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    It's largely subjective. In terms of sub numbers, WoW wins hands down - even at their lowest before Blizzard stopped reporting them there were lots more than any other MMO. With numbers comes the ability to put more content out, so I would assume (not having played any other MMO) that it has more content overall than any other.

If you ask people for their personal opinion then you will get mixed results. But if you take emotion out of it, then yeah WoW is a juggernaut sitting atop the MMO mountain

Deleted
    Which is trivial.
    Also subjective. Not partially, mostly, substantially. Entirely.

Also subjective. Not partially, mostly, substantially. Entirely.
    You aren't disagreeing with me now. Good.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, as with every genre there is no "best" because what is best for one person will not be for another, everyone has different wants and needs and not everyone's desires will be fulfilled by the same game, and no one game will appeal to everyone... People's perception of the game will also change over time, or as changes are made to the game.

In my opinion, WoW was the best MMO on the market, when it was in it's prime, in WotLK, and as far as I'm concerned has declined significantly since... It has improved since WoD in some areas and declined further in others ("class fantasy" is cancer and they are pruning too much from classes, in some cases pruning things that were iconic and contributed heavily to the class' fantasy and were removed anyways).
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    No.

It was, it isnt now, simply put.

Its more like an old dog trying to keep up with newer and somewhat better compeditors than the best MMO out there. Its certainly the most defining MMO, but the best? No.
    So what is ?

Deleted
    It's the most popular mmorpg on the market and the one that is most successful, when it comes to theme park mmorpgs wow is the best Imo i never could get into the others, i don't know how OSRS is though i believe it's actually growing which would be interesting if it did.

There really isn't much innovation going on in the genre though, OSRS and even eve online looks like more fun then wow to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Peskre View Post
    It's the most popular mmorpg on the market and the one that is most successful, when it comes to theme park mmorpgs wow is the best Imo i never could get into the others, i don't know how OSRS is though i believe it's actually growing which would be interesting if it did.

There really isn't much innovation going on in the genre though, OSRS and even eve online looks like more fun then wow to me.
    never could get into runescape it was just a skill grinding simulator to me. eve is great but the pve leaves much to be desired last year i was doing 6/8 and 10/10s over and over again, it was just boring. honestly i'd actually prefer to do quests in wow than solo anoms and complexes in EvE, they just don't scale either, its like you can either tank the damage or you can't and you die, dying isn't what you want to do in eve pve because it just sets you back. the ship fitting is fun to play with but again a ship fitted for pvp will, 9 times out of 10, wipe the floor with a ship fit for pve. so there is a void between pvp and pve. as if they are two entirely different games within the same game.

there is a lot to like about its sandboxyness and there is a lot to loath about the grief happy community. pvp is great when its small gang vs small gang, pvp is shit when its 50 ppl vs 1. it has its good moments and it has moments that make you want to rage quit.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-04-18 at 01:13 AM.