10+ Year Old Account

[Books] Star Wars EU. Where to go after Thrawn?

Even though I have always read a ton and am a big Star Wars fan, for whatever reason I just never got into the Star Wars EU. I recently finally picked up the Thrawn books and am almost done with the third book and am really enjoying it but have no idea where to go next. Any SW EU experts that can point me in the correct direction?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yuuzhan Vong books aren't bad.

I liked the short story collections: Tales from the Mos Eisly Cantina, Tales of the Bounty Hunters, and Tales from Jabba's palace.

Generally speaking, the ones that either came along later, or were part of trilogies, are much better. Some of the really early ones are SUPER bad. Like, there is legit one that has Chewbacca found by Han in a convertible speeder full of alien chicks, and wearing a silly hat. This is an actual thing that exists. I was horrified.

That said, there are quite a few new ones that are cannon. I would read those first. Although one or two are reportedly kind of bad, some have been really, really well received.

I would start these with the new Thrawn cannon book.

Also, there is a ton of new cannon in the Star Wars Marvel comics.

10+ Year Old Account
    The "New Jedi Order" stuff is pretty epic. The war with the Yuuzhan Vong and it's conclusion really show you how much of a badass Luke becomes.

It's not canon now, but that doesn't stop it from being an enjoyable series, and tbh you can still have it as your headcanon.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

The Vong were a terrible concept, I quit the EU about halfway through those books. Some good writers wrote some of them, but overall it was dreck.

Honestly Zahn was the pinnacle, some of the other writers are okay but it never got back to that level again. His later books were so-so.

I sort of liked the Courtship of Princess Leia, though I don't think many people do. The Kevin J Anderson books are necessary, but his writing is pretty awful. I seem to recall the Corellian trilogy was okay, and the Black Fleet Crisis though the allegory is a bit on the nose.

Some of the X-Wing books were decent if I remember right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

FTR, Zahn just wrote a very good canon Thrawn book. Thrawn.

I remember in my youth I actually liked the Jedi Academy trilogy. You might take a look at them.

All in all, for all the hits and misses, for all the WTF decisions.... I'm liking the way the EU developed more than the canon timeline thus far....

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timel..._Legends_books

I'd suggest looking at the overview synopsis of titles in order after the Thrawn trilogy and see what catches your attention.

I thought the dark nest trilogy was interesting. But i say learn about children first or else you might be confused.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

The Han Solo trilogy

Also a timeline to follow
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timel..._Legends_books

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Deleted
    The Bane trilogy is a must read, namely Path of Destruction, Rule of Two and Dynasty of Evil. After those 3 i personally recommed reading Plagueis, while it isnt the best book, but together with the Bane Trilogy it gives you amazing insight into the Sith and makes you see the Prequels in a completely new light, since the movies especially dont answer a lot of the questions that arise during it.