Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The leader of 'Calexit' just announced he's abandoning the movement, going to Russia

http://www.businessinsider.com/calex...-russia-2017-4

The leader of California separatist group Yes California announced in a 1,600-word statement on Monday that he "intends to make Russia" his "new home" and is therefore withdrawing his petition for a "Calexit" referendum.

Louis Marinelli, who has spearheaded the Calexit campaign since 2015, set up a makeshift embassy in Moscow in December in partnership with far-right Russian nationalists who enjoy Kremlin support while promoting secessionist movements in Europe.

"I have found in Russia a new happiness, a life without the albatross of frustration and resentment towards ones’ homeland, and a future detached from the partisan divisions and animosity that has thus far engulfed my entire adult life," Marinelli wrote on Monday. "Consequently, if the people of Russia would be so kind as to welcome me here on a permanent basis, I intend to make Russia my new home."

He added that he will "not return to California in the forseeable future," so "it is only proper" that he withdraw the Calexit ballot initiative petition and "allow a new petition, free from ties to me and drafted by others, to be resubmitted at future date of their choosing."

Marinelli had been organizing the California independence referendum from Russia's fourth-largest city, Yekaterinburg, where he has lived with his wife, Anastasia, since September.

He said in an interview in December that he was looking specifically to countries with veto power on the UN Security Council (UNSC) — Russia and China — to support his movement and recognize the results of an independence referendum in the event that the US and its UNSC allies rejected its legitimacy.

"We don't think that Russia needs to be an enemy of California, or that it even is one to begin with," Marinelli said. "The idea that Russia is an enemy of the US — that's a Cold War mentality."

Marinelli, who campaigned for Democratic candidate Bernie Sanders but said he ultimately voted for President Donald Trump, described Yes California as a progressive initiative aimed at establishing a "liberal republic" independent of the United States. But his decision to align Yes California so publicly with Russia alienated him from the other, albeit smaller, California separatist movement known as the California Nationalist Party.

Both of the efforts gained more mainstream traction in the wake of Trump's surprising victory in November.

Marinelli reiterated on Monday that he does "not wish to live under the American flag," adding that his "frustrations" with the American political system have now pointed him toward Russia.

"I had long planned to eventually return to occupied California and struggle for her independence from the United States so we could build the kind of country that reflects our progressive values," Marinelli wrote. "However, while my frustration, disappointment and disillusionment with the United States remains, these feelings now point me in a different direction."

He added that he hopes that "after the false allegations about me vanish, and after this period of anti-Russian hysteria subsides," it will be "said of this campaign that we spoke the truth" and "set in motion a series of events that led California to independence from the United States."

"When that day finally comes, as it will, I shall look forward with great satisfaction to return to California and to live once again under our bear flag," Marinelli wrote. "Until then I will continue to serve as the representative of the Republic of California to Russia."

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Translation: "I can't afford to live in California on Russian wages."

In case anyone was still uncertain about Russia's game plan here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

He worked for Bernie. The DNC screwed Bernie over so he voted for Trump? And now he is going to Russia?
    Or maybe he was working for Russia the entire time he was with Bernie and the whole Calexit scheme...

This is getting deeper and deeper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds about right.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Deleted
    bb

10/char

He had planned to move to Russia and then move back to California after it had broken away from the US. He just finally realized that was never going to happen.

I wonder what the Calexit crowd think of this. They have been hornswaggled.
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2017-04-18 at 02:09 PM.

The money the KGB/FSB gave him ran out and the Russians have cut him off.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    He worked for Bernie. The DNC screwed Bernie over so he voted for Trump? And now he is going to Russia?
    Or maybe he was working for Russia the entire time he was with Bernie and the whole Calexit scheme...

This is getting deeper and deeper.
    Or both the right and left wings were being targeted by the same fucking thing of disinformation campaigns. One side just overwhelmingly bought in and the Fox News base is easier to manipulate en masse. There have been accusations against the truly ludicrous extreme of the Bernie Bros of also being involved in the mess or being Russian bots no different than what flooded Twitter, Facebook, and Reddit. You would see Redditors who posted "I'm a Bernie supporter" then insert reason for anger, and immediately get PMs to join some "after-Berner" shit and Bernie communities that showed pro Trump agendas to get pissed off people to switch sides.

edit: Note that after the election was over, a significant amount of those social medias accounts, communities, groups, etc were closed or stopped being used all together, no different than the flood of pro Trump accounts that seemingly shut down or went MIA. There was absolutely a campaign to divide support of Democratic voters.

A lot of the "exit" campaigns have had support and funding from shady individuals. BREXIT investigations are even turning up some interesting connections and CALEXIT was going the same way. There's literally no good reason for CA to secede except to cripple the economy and tax funding for the rest of the country.
    Last edited by Bullettime; 2017-04-18 at 02:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    Or both the right and left wings were being targeted by the same fucking thing of disinformation campaigns. One side just overwhelmingly bought in and the Fox News base is easier to manipulate en masse. There have been accusations against the truly ludicrous extreme of the Bernie Bros of also being involved in the mess or being Russian bots no different than what flooded Twitter, Facebook, and Reddit. You would see Redditors who posted "I'm a Bernie supporter" then insert reason for anger, and immediately get PMs to join some "after-Berner" shit and Bernie communities that showed pro Trump agendas to get pissed off people to switch sides.

Note that after the election was over, a significant amount of those social accounts, communities, groups, etc stopped being used.

A lot of the "exit" campaigns have had support and funding from shady individuals. BREXIT investigations are even turning up some interesting connections and CALEXIT was going the same way. There's literally no good reason for CA to secede except to cripple the economy and tax funding for the rest of the country.
    Both sides of the political spectrum are just as easily manipulated my friend. Don't fool yourself. All one needs to do is just read this forum and see that.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good. I wish more like him would follow him.

May he enjoy his new found freedom in Russia.

Both sides of the political spectrum are just as easily manipulated my friend. Don't fool yourself. All one needs to do is just read this forum and see that.
    Edited a bit more to clarify. The point is that both sides were being hit. Fox viewers simply bought into the god emperor propaganda, rape compounds, FEMA camps, and all kinds of other ridiculous shit going back for years and were easy to sway to the pro Trump side.

Dems were being hit just the same but in a different manner. Instead of it being a propaganda campaign for Hillary, we were being hit by a flood of Bernie Bros that came out of fucking nowhere telling us to vote for Trump if Sanders lost.

Social media accounts, groups, communities, etc all shut down rapidly the day after the election. Even t_d became a ghost town compared to what it was before.
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.

Good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Good. I wish more like him would follow him.
    You do realize the movement had minimal legs with shady funding right? The guy was even suspected of receiving Russian funding and being an agent when the whole ball got rolling which is why CALEXIT quickly found itself out of the news as being a ludicrous fringe movement.

There was minimal support for this movement even by Californians compared to say the Texas secession attempt years ago. People saw through it, jumped off, and the media stopped covering it. The fact that the guy is leaving to Russia just confirms the suspicions.

Calexit wasn't going to pass. Even Californians wouldn't be that foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Bye Felicia.

I'm a huge fan of Cal-Exit 2.0 though. They have tapped Nigel Farage to help get the state split in two lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Calexit wasn't going to pass. Even Californians wouldn't be that foolish.
    I was hoping they would, so we could just conquer them the day afterwards.

You do realize the movement had minimal legs with shady funding right? The guy was even suspected of receiving Russian funding and being an agent when the whole ball got rolling which is why CALEXIT quickly found itself out of the news as being a ludicrous fringe movement.

There was minimal support for this movement even by Californians compared to say the Texas secession attempt years ago. People saw through it, jumped off, and the media stopped covering it. The fact that the guy is leaving to Russia just confirms the suspicions.
    Texas secession never really got off the ground. There are always going to be fools that think we would be better off without the US. The idea of Texas seceding has been around for decades. It would be foolish for us to do it.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Thanks for the information and no, I did not know those or cared at the time. Some in any state wanting to leave the US Union, I would welcome them leaving the US all together and this also goes for those in Texas who wanted to secede when Obama was President.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Bye Felicia.

I'm a huge fan of Cal-Exit 2.0 though. They have tapped Nigel Farage to help get the state split in two lol.

- - - Updated - - -

I was hoping they would, so we could just conquer them the day afterwards.
    Maybe they would lose their right to vote like the confederate soilders did.