Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Since we're talking about climate change in particular that's what I'm going to stick with. You can fuck off else where with your Clinton whine fest.
    Alright. And people have been called stupid for saying the human contribution is not as prominent as we think, but it is real. That's my position.

Not virtually nonexistent. Not no impact whatsoever. Not Chinese hoax. Actual belief that it's overstated how much we are causing this, but we are contributing and need to mind ourselves. Twentieth time still saying I didn't vote for Trump. Awaiting expectantly to be called Trumpist.

As far as the climate change issue is concerned the problem is people take not accepting their lazy skepticism seriously as "shaming".
    Sorry, calling names just because someone doesn't accept your view, or even facts, is no way to debate. The Climate believers, are vile and hateful, deniers are too. No progress will be made with attitudes like that.

Flies with honey and if you have to resort to name calling you already lost. Couple of adages I think come into play here.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    The only people that don't respect scientists in the western world are climate change deniers and anti-vaxxers. And honestly, who gives a shit about those people.
    This is god-damn sig worthy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Except for the already-increasing sea levels, the communities that have already been abandoned due to such, and so forth.

I guess if you refuse to look at any of the evidence, you can pretend that there's no evidence, but that doesn't really make sense to anybody but yourself.
    The sea level has been increasing by around 4mm for decades now. It's not a major problem, simply don't invest at a low elevation if you don't want to be near the ocean.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Who said this is a democrat versus Republican thing. This is an educated versus the...well... the deplorables thing.
    This is unfortunately Democrat vs Republicans. One has a platform that stands for science, and one has a platform against it.

It shouldn't be that way, but the right decided to be obstinate about climate change, reproductive health, and, in some cases, evolution and cosmology.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    In the grand scheme of things the onus is on the people predicting major climate problems for civilization. So far there is no evidence that suggests civilization cant handle a warmer climate.
    And not a single goalpost move was detected that day.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    In the grand scheme of things the onus is on the people predicting major climate problems for civilization. So far there is no evidence that suggests civilization cant handle a warmer climate.
    Well, we do have some insight from Earth's history. There are some that speculate that warming at the end of the Permian was enough to stop oceanic circulation that lead to an anoxic event that killed just about everything. To pretend there isn't the potential for major catastrophe is just and head-in-sand maneuver.

- - - Updated - - -

The sea level has been increasing by around 4mm for decades now. It's not a major problem, simply don't invest at a low elevation if you don't want to be near the ocean.
    Tell that to the mayor of Miami. Seriously guy....
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Alright. And people have been called stupid for saying the human contribution is not as prominent as we think, but it is real. That's my position.

Not virtually nonexistent. Not no impact whatsoever. Not Chinese hoax. Actual belief that it's overstated how much we are causing this, but we are contributing and need to mind ourselves.
    That's the general consensus of climate science. Random internet articles about how we're all "literally going to burn to death" are just click bait garbage people need to ignore and go to the actual sources and see what they have to say. Any self respecting climate scientist advocating for green alternatives and changes in our energy practices is not saying we need to change everything yesterday or we're all dead. However the push back from fossil fuel industry and their lobbying to try and keep the pace of alternative energy progress slow is not helpful at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    It's not an insult - just an observation. You said:

Which is not true. So you are either: 1) Lying about it or, 2) Ignorant (i.e. lacking knowledge or awareness in general).
    You know, being insulted and called names isn't really that intellectually stimulating, or entertaining. So, I'm just gonna assume that while you disagree, you bring nothing to the table of any merit, from a topic stand point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    You're making the claim, I'm curious as to which ones you were specifically thinking of.

If you don't want to back it up with any additional details or links, that's fine and all. Just curious.

I mean, if you want to bring up a totally unrelated point, sure. But the discussion was specifically about people rejecting climate science.
    Meh, sounds like a lot of work. I'm ok with people disagreeing with me. I have nothing to prove.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    And not a single goalpost move was detected that day.
    The goal is to show people that there is no climate catastrophe coming, the data points to slow and mundane changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Sorry, calling names just because someone doesn't accept your view, or even facts, is no way to debate. The Climate believers, are vile and hateful, deniers are too. No progress will be made with attitudes like that.

Flies with honey and if you have to resort to name calling you already lost. Couple of adages I think come into play here.
    Progress is being made with or without them /shrug maybe slow but progress all the same I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Please stop quoting me. I have told you repeatedly that I will never have a discussion with you. You are engaging in harassment.
    I just realized you can't ignore a mod... lul...

I think scientists going out is fine. They are citizens too. If they want to criticize the government then they should be able to.

Some scientists definitely have an agenda (i.e. hired to do a study on GMO foods by Whole Foods). Of course some are going to institute a bias towards painting the company that hired him to do the study in a more favorable light. A lot of scientists are hacks that just want further funding, but more scientists outnumber the hacks probably 20 to 1.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2017-04-18 at 09:14 PM.

That's the general consensus of climate science. Random internet articles about how we're all "literally going to burn to death" are just click bait garbage people need to ignore and go to the actual sources and see what they have to say. Any self respecting climate scientist advocating for green alternatives and changes in our energy practices is not saying we need to change everything yesterday or we're all dead. However the push back from fossil fuel industry and their lobbying to try and keep the pace of alternative energy progress slow is not helpful at all.
    No, it isn't. But actively alienating people you want you to help in your endeavor or, atleast, not vote for people like Donald Trump doesn't help at all, either.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it isn't. But actively alienating people you want you to help in your endeavor or, atleast, not vote for people like Donald Trump doesn't help at all, either.
    Just can't help yourself I see. Enjoy your tantrum.

Progress is being made with or without them /shrug maybe slow but progress all the same I suppose.
    See, you say that. But why is Trump President and claims that he must be stopped if progress is being made? Or will progress be made despite people like Donald Trump and doomsaying is overstated?

- - - Updated - - -

Just can't help yourself I see. Enjoy your tantrum.
    You were doing so good till this post, too.

I more mean the progress of working together. Compromise and understanding. An end to the divisive era we live in. We seem to live in an "all or nothing" time. IE if you dont have political yahtzee(congress, senate, WH) you can't get shit done. The right won't work with the left, lest the left get credit for an idea and vice versa. Our country was BUILT on the notion of compromise.
    CC is a good topic to illustrate my point, as it always devolves into name calling on both sides, NOTHING will improve that way. I dont mean as far as policy, necessarily. I mean in terms of informing and working together. How does that work when both sides know the other side HATES them and thinks they are dumber than rocks. Which is exactly whats going on now. (I bet in your head you are thinking "Well they ARE morons")

10+ Year Old Account
    See, you say that. But why is Trump President and claims that he must be stopped if progress is being made? Or will progress be made despite people like Donald Trump and doomsaying is overstated?
    I already said it slows the progress which is not helpful. You'd know if you read past the first line in my previous post but you wanted to make your smug self satisfying point.

- - - Updated - - -

You were doing so good till this post, too.
    If you're not going to bother reading past the first line of my posts or address those points you can fuck off.

I already said it slows the progress which is not helpful. You'd know if you read past the first line in my previous post but you wanted to make your smug self satisfying point.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're not going to bother reading past the first line of my posts or address those points you can fuck off.
    I read that. But you people talk about how Trump is going to doom everything and then say you'll be fine. It's extremely bipolar.

The irony of the man defending calling people stupid for their political beliefs talking about being smug is astounding, btw. Thanks for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    I more mean the progress of working together. Compromise and understanding. An end to the divisive era we live in. We seem to live in an "all or nothing" time. IE if you dont have political yahtzee(congress, senate, WH) you can't get shit done. The right won't work with the left, lest the left get credit for an idea and vice versa. Our country was BUILT on the notion of compromise.
    CC is a good topic to illustrate my point, as it always devolves into name calling on both sides, NOTHING will improve that way. I dont mean as far as policy, necessarily. I mean in terms of informing and working together. How does that work when both sides know the other side HATES them and thinks they are dumber than rocks. Which is exactly whats going on now. (I bet in your head you are thinking "Well they ARE morons")
    The compromise is that nobody is saying all old fossil fuel industries need to die over night but that we should be working towards a future where we don't rely on them for the majority of our energy consumption. People have advocated for training programs to help people in these industries get training to transition over into the greener alternatives years or decades down the line since in this transition we will continue to need fossil fuels. Probably forever in some extent.

The compromise is that nobody is saying all old fossil fuel industries need to die over night but that we should be working towards a future where we don't rely on them for the majority of our energy consumption. People have advocated for training programs to help people in these industries get training to transition over into the greener alternatives years or decades down the line since in this transition we will continue to need fossil fuels. Probably forever in some extent.
    I'm speaking in more broad terms. Climate change is just an illustrator of the behavior I see to be caustic to our nation. Eventually the world will move from fossil fuels as technology renders it less effective. Thats just progress and it wont be stopped.