Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    COFFFEEEEEE

Link about Skylake X?

I might upgrade and also be sure to get a CPU that can do 40 lanes or whatever the new higher amount of PCI-E lanes is this time...

I'm probably going to be gaming with the 1080 Ti but then photo-editing with a Quadro of some kind soonish. Need to get a decent true 10-bit monitor, too.

Obviously I want both GPUs to run unhindered - so we'd be looking at 32 lanes, more than the 28 my i7-5820K allows for. =/ And I don't believe upgrading to the i7-6850K is worth it for just this. =/ Still only a 6c/12thread nerd and same amount of L3 cache too. I won't get my money back for the 2.5 year old i7-5820K haha, so is 12 PCI-E lanes worth $550~? Nope!

Time to get serious with the new build.

Could Deltrus be looking at having 3 Folding@Home machines in the near future? FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON DRAGONBALL Zeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Just to throw my hat in once again, I'd suggest we'll see 100% working Titan V Voltas out by the end of this year. We'll see a 1180? V80? March next year and then within a few months, the broader commercial level Voltas will start releasing.

We're getting a 1080 refresh this quarter as well, with the 1080 11gbps GDR5X memory variants. (Purportedly at $100 cheaper than current line 1080s?)

https://www.techpowerup.com/232556/z...-gddr5x-memory

Pascal's over and done with, Volta's going to be airing this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    It wouldn't surprise me too much if they launched the GV100 chip for the HPC market in Q3 (I expect we'll get some sort of news about it during GTC in a few weeks, plus they owe at least one supercomputer using Volta chips by the end of this year/beginning of the next.) I would be pretty surprised if we heard anything about consumer Volta before late Q4, however, unless Vega is way better than most people are expecting and they have to push timelines up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    12 core? As in... for prosumers? Non Xeon?!?!?!!
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    12 core? As in... for prosumers? Non Xeon?!?!?!!
    rumors

and even if its true - probably $1750 or more

10+ Year Old Account
    rumors

and even if its true - probably $1750 or more
    Certainly.

Won't be getting one of those personally, but at least we know it's there and we're headed in that general direction. ^_^

Can only imagine how much quicker Adobe Lightroom would export my pictures. ;o
    "A flower.

something that came to mind

a reason they might want to release a new flagship sooner is to have one with HDMI 2.1 ports on it ?

HDMI 2.1 is kind of a big deal, IIRC it has bandwidth surpassing even DP 1.4, it has enough to run even 4K @ 144Hz @ full 10-bit HDR @ 4:4:4 color so all the bells and whistles with no compression or compromise .. it does 8K and dynamic HDR metadata and of course the much welcomed Game Mode VRR, which, as far as I understand it, is basically G-sync HDR/Freesync 2 built into the HDMI 2.1 port, so you dont need any Gsync/Freesync anymore, only a device and screen that both have HDMI 2.1 (not sure if it will work automatically or if games need to be programmed to make use of Game Mode VRR)

IIRC DF confirmed Scorpio will have HDMI 2.1 already somehow (and thats in 2017), so we can expect the new Sony/LG OLED flagships (I only care about OLED TVs these days) in H1 2018 to have HDMI 2.1 too ? and maybe some new high-end monitors in 2018 too

if so - GPUs will need HDMI 2.1 to run all that beauty

- - - Updated - - -

Link about Skylake X?
    https://benchlife.info/intel-x299-wi...note-04212017/

New brand for HEDT: Intel Core™ X-Series Processor Family
    - May 30: Announcement at Intel's Computex Keynote by Senior Vice President of Client Computing Group (CCG) Navin Shenoy
    - Reviews: 12 days later (June 11/12?)
    - June 26: Official retail launch date
    - Skylake-X: up to 40 PCIe 3.0 lanes, ranging from 6C/12T to 12C/24T (140W TDP) / Kaby Lake-X: up to 24 PCIe 3.0 lanes, 4C/8T (112W TDP)

lmao toothpaste factory, i lost my shit.

lolwut ?
    CLick your link and hit translate.

"Toothpaste factory, that is, Intel motherboard chipset model for the X299..."

Not gonna lie, in an environment where everything is RGB GAMER X X XXX XXXXXXX FURY RAGE GEFORCE TITAN, a product called "Toothpaste Factory" would stand the hell out.
    Super casual.

I feel like Amd really shit the bed this generation at least for enthusiast tier

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    I feel like Amd really shit the bed this generation at least for enthusiast tier
    yup and they missed some $$$

http://marketrealist.com/2017/02/nvi...n-fiscal-4q17/

According to Jon Peddie Research, the PC gaming hardware market is expected to grow at a CAGR (compound annual growth rate) of 6% between 2017 and 2019, after crossing the $30 billion mark in 2016. But Nvidia’s gaming revenue is likely to grow at a faster rate than the PC gaming hardware market due to its dominant position in the fast-growing segment of GPUs and high-end GPUs. Data from Jon Peddie Research showed that the high end accounted for 43% of the gaming hardware revenue in 2016.
    high-end revenue is no less important then mid-range/low-end

lower volume is off-set by high margins

10+ Year Old Account
    A die shrink wouldn't get you upgrades like this between xx80 Ti iterations. It just wouldn't.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1856?vs=1715

A bit bigger than the jump from the 780 Ti to 980 Ti, even...
    AdoredTV already proved this when he benchmarked Pascal cards and Maxwell cards at equal clocks. Literally the clock speed jump from Maxwell to Pascal due to 28nm to 16nm process is responsible for the performance increase. Very little if any came from architecture improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    The enthusiast market really doesn't matter except for marketing. Want to buy the best graphics card? Look at our GTX 1080 or Titan X. Even though all you can afford is the GTX 1060, and even the the 3GB version which is like the 1050 ½ Ti. But based on Nvidia's dominance with the Titan X and 1080, you'll buy a 3GB 1060. Even though in all newer game titles the RX 470 beats it as well the the 4GB RX 480.

It's the same logic when applied to cars. Love the super charged Corvette? Well then why not buy a Chevy, cause if the Corvette is amazing then the other Chevy's must be, right? The only car you can afford is the Cruze, and that's nothing similar to the Corvette in terms of technology and style. But I bet most of the sales of the Cruze is because the Corvette is super fast. But sales of mainstream products are influenced by the performance of high end products that most people can't afford to buy. That is AMD's problem right now.

The enthusiast market really doesn't matter except for marketing
    high end accounted for 43% of the gaming hardware revenue in 2016.

3GB 1060. Even though in all newer game titles the RX 470 beats it
    false, but keep lying like you did with 1080ti before

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    AdoredTV already proved this when he benchmarked Pascal cards and Maxwell cards at equal clocks. Literally the clock speed jump from Maxwell to Pascal due to 28nm to 16nm process is responsible for the performance increase. Very little if any came from architecture improvements.

The enthusiast market really doesn't matter except for marketing. Want to buy the best graphics card? Look at our GTX 1080 or Titan X. Even though all you can afford is the GTX 1060, and even the the 3GB version which is like the 1050 ½ Ti. But based on Nvidia's dominance with the Titan X and 1080, you'll buy a 3GB 1060. Even though in all newer game titles the RX 470 beats it as well the the 4GB RX 480.

It's the same logic when applied to cars. Love the super charged Corvette? Well then why not buy a Chevy, cause if the Corvette is amazing then the other Chevy's must be, right? The only car you can afford is the Cruze, and that's nothing similar to the Corvette in terms of technology and style. But I bet most of the sales of the Cruze is because the Corvette is super fast. But sales of mainstream products are influenced by the performance of high end products that most people can't afford to buy. That is AMD's problem right now.
    lol why are you mentioning the 1080 and Titan X, but not the 1080 Ti? The 1080 Ti is like 95+% the performance of the (new) Titan Xp for about, what, 65% of the price? You really have a vendetta against the 1080 Ti and it's freakin' hilarious. Did you buy a 1080 full price back when they launched and you're salty? Seems like it. But hey, you had strong GPU power all this time, so why, honestly why, must you act like this? rofl

Also, okay, so the clock speeds... but still, you can't achieve the Pascal clock speeds that you can with Maxwell.

If we could, we would still be on 900 series, but we don't and we can't, so we're on Pascal. Welcome to late 2016/early 2017, Duke!

Also, besides running higher clock speeds they also consume less power to get more performance... so... again... what's your thing against Pascal and the 1080 Ti? It really makes no sense.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    false, but keep lying like you did with 1080ti before
    The majority of sales are not in the high end market. Not many people buy a $300+ graphic cards. It isn't the norm, just like not many people buy Corvettes. So the market for the 1080/1080ti/TitanX/TitanXp is very small, but here we are with Nvidia continuing to release products for this market segment. AMD also fought back with their own high end cards like the Fury cards. Why? How many Fury cards actually sold?

Also I'm not wrong to say the RX 470 is faster than the 3GB 1060 in modern games. Nearly half these games are faster on the RX 470.

lol why are you mentioning the 1080 and Titan X, but not the 1080 Ti?
    I also didn't mention the Titan Xp. Could it be my point was made with just two of Nvidia's high end cards? I don't have to type every high end card, do I?
    The 1080 Ti is like 95+% the performance of the (new) Titan Xp for about, what, 65% of the price? You really have a vendetta against the 1080 Ti and it's freakin' hilarious. Did you buy a 1080 full price back when they launched and you're salty? Seems like it. But hey, you had strong GPU power all this time, so why, honestly why, must you act like this? rofl
    This wasn't about the 1080 ti. I was talking about the high end market and how it's success plays a role in mid to low end range sales. Also, I own a RX 480, not a GTX 1080. I personally believe the 1080 should have been priced lower as well as the 1080 Ti. Nvidia is taking advantage of a market without much competition. The Titan's were always ridiculously priced. They weren't worth buying beyond for bragging rights.

Anyway, my point is that high end does more to influence sales than for profiting. Did a lot of idiots buy a Geforce 4 MX cause they saw benchmarks for the Geforce 4 Ti? Probably.
    Also, okay, so the clock speeds... but still, you can't achieve the Pascal clock speeds that you can with Maxwell.
    You can't because Maxwell was made on 28nm. Pascal was designed and made for 16nm. But take away that clock speed and you get Maxwell performance. Nvidia was spending their R&D someplace else.

If we could, we would still be on 900 series, but we don't and we can't, so we're on Pascal. Welcome to late 2016/early 2017, Duke!
    No you wouldn't. Nvidia would re-brand it just to give the illusion of that new product look. AMD does it all the time lately.
    Also, besides running higher clock speeds they also consume less power to get more performance... so... again... what's your thing against Pascal and the 1080 Ti? It really makes no sense.
    You do realize that by shrinking the die size you also consume less power? There's a lot of benefits to shrinking a chip.

#1 Less power
    #2 Less heat
    #3 More clock speed
    #4 Consume less silicon
    #5 Or fit more transistors in the same amount of silicon

This is literally the fear everyone has once we reach a point where quantum mechanics makes this impossible. You can't shrink chips forever.

The majority of sales are not in the high end market. Not many people buy a $300+ graphic cards. It isn't the norm, just like not many people buy Corvettes. So the market for the 1080/1080ti/TitanX/TitanXp is very small, but here we are with Nvidia continuing to release products for this market segment. AMD also fought back with their own high end cards like the Fury cards. Why? How many Fury cards actually sold?
    how many times do I need to link it ?

According to Jon Peddie Research, the PC gaming hardware market is expected to grow at a CAGR (compound annual growth rate) of 6% between 2017 and 2019, after crossing the $30 billion mark in 2016. But Nvidia’s gaming revenue is likely to grow at a faster rate than the PC gaming hardware market due to its dominant position in the fast-growing segment of GPUs and high-end GPUs. Data from Jon Peddie Research showed that the high end accounted for 43% of the gaming hardware revenue in 2016.

lower volume is off-set by high margins
    43% is not something you ignore if you can help it

Nvidias high-end has been highly successful and very profitable for years now

as for 1060 3GB vs 470:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...o_Plus/30.html (this review is from April 18, 2017)

78% 470 vs 87% 1060 3GB

all modern games in their tests (dont think any game there is even from 2014, all are 2015 or later, majority is from 2016)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    The majority of sales are not in the high end market.
    Not many people buy a $300+ graphic cards.
    So the market for the 1080/1080ti/TitanX/TitanXp is very small,

GTX 1080 & 980Ti both above RX480

1080 above 1050Ti
    Last edited by Life-Binder; 2017-04-21 at 07:42 PM.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That would be hilarious if true. God damn AMD.

The worst part is is that AMD has this infuriating NDA on their hardware where, even if it were announced today with a hard release date, you won't get jack shit about it until the day of release because they're kind of dicks like that.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.