Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry ‘Intense pressure’ causing anxiety and depression in young women

One in four young women suffer from anxiety or depression, according to official Government figures. Data from the Office of National Statistics reveals that 25 per cent of 16 to 24-year-old women reported struggling with poor mental health. Overall, nearly a fifth of young people – 19 per cent – said they struggled with either anxiety or depression, but women were “significantly more likely” to be suffering from such symptoms than men.

The percentage of young women reporting such symptoms rose from 22 per cent in 2009/10 to 26 per cent in 2013-14, before dropping down to 25 per cent in 2015. Just 15 per cent of young men said they struggled with mental ill health. ‘Alarming’ In light of the findings, mental health campaigners warned there was still a “huge amount” of misunderstanding about mental well-being that often prevented young people to open up to others, leaving them struggling to cope. Tom Madders, director at youth mental health charity YoungMinds, said hospital admissions of young people for mental health problems were increasing at “alarming rates”.

“All young people face a huge range of pressures such as stress at school, bullying on and offline and uncertainty about the future,” Mr Madders said. “As this report shows, girls in particular are feeling intense pressure, and this may be due to body image worries, early sexualisation and social media encouraging girls to live their lives in the public domain, creating a personal ‘brand’ from a young age, and to seek reassurance in the form of likes and shares.” But while mental health was a concern, young people had reported an increase in satisfaction around their physical health with 56 per cent of young women saying they were happier with their health in 2014/15, compared with 50 per cent in 2013/14. Risk of poverty up The ONS survey measured various indicators of 16 to 24-year-olds’ well-being, including health, mental health, employment and education, and personal finance. It showed the proportion of young people living in households at risk of poverty went up from nearly a fifth – 19 per cent – in 2008 to a quarter – 25 per cent – in 2015.

The results also revealed that the number of young people aged between 22 and 24 still living with their parents had jumped from 39 per cent in 2009 to 46 per cent in 2016. The proportion of young people who said they had someone to rely on also dropped from a high of 80 per cent in the period between 2010 to 2011 to 76 per cent in 2013 to 2014. “A good quality of life includes having positive mental health and wellbeing, so it’s crucial that the problems which young people report are taken seriously and supported to prevent them escalating and going into crises,” Mr Madders added.

Reasons to be cheerful Despite the rise in mental health issues, the ONS study revealed it was not all doom and gloom for the younger generation. Labour market data revealed that the proportion of 16 to 24 year olds who were unemployed had plummeted from 21 per cent in 2012 to 13 per cent in 2016. This was coupled with the percentage of young people stating they were struggling to get by financially dropping to just 7 per cent in 2014/15 from a high of 15 per cent 2009/10. The number of Neets (those not in education, employment or training) had also declined from a peak of 16 per cent in 2012 to 11 per cent in 2016. Satisfaction with household income also increased among those aged between 22 to 24, although this was largely down to a greater proportion of this age group not paying rent or bills due to them living with their parents.

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/...n-young-women/
    Yikes, 11% are NEETs. That spells trouble for the future.

Did you miss the part where is said it declined from 16% to 11%? Wouldn't that mean the opposite of what you said?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Spells Japan.

Deleted
    I too suffer all kinds of symptoms.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Probably all the pressure to be and act like men contribute to their stress as well. I am sure some of them would be much happier if they just met a nice guys, got married and had a couple of kids, a dog, etc. but they are told that striving for these simple things is somehow wrong.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    I too suffer all kinds of symptoms.
    Have you seen a therapist? Joined a peer support group? Consulted your GP?

Deleted
    Have you seen a therapist? Joined a peer support group? Consulted your GP?
    I've considered it. But I don't really like doctors. Feels like exposing myself too much.

Interesting, because that number is BETTER than the 2012 number of 16%.

So that drop spells hope for the future to me, why not you?
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

They can't really know if women suffer from it more than men, since men are more shunned socially in regards to mental health concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Rox the sox View Post
    They can't really know if women suffer from it more than men, since men are more shunned socially in regards to mental health concerns.
    Men lead the suicide charts from those issues, so I doubt the articles claim of women suffering more from it. Both need to be looked into more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Makes thread about doom and gloom, ignores the article's last paragraph.

Classy, Tennistroll

Women are a little nuts. What else is new?

It's true women get a lot of lows in life but they get a lot more highs than men too, nobody ever talks about that.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Men lead the suicide charts from those issues, so I doubt the articles claim of women suffering more from it. Both need to be looked into more.
    Men are just better at suicide, hah... take that, women!

they are both suffering, women are just more likely to attempt suicide via slow death instead of instant. women also feel more comfortable asking for help than men.

Well the article words it as a self diagnosis so its entirely possible those surveyed are being dramatic. However, more women attempt suicide than men even though more men die from it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Well the article words it as a self diagnosis so its entirely possible those surveyed are being dramatic. However, more women attempt suicide than men even though more men die from it.
    Just another thing that men do better

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Men are just better at suicide, hah... take that, women!
    I mean....I don't wanna win that contest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    It's true women get a lot of lows in life but they get a lot more highs than men too, nobody ever talks about that.
    I mean shit. Women get to sit at home and play video games all day.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean....I don't wanna win that contest
    It's all about the small victories in life.