Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    You can't invoke context when ignoring context. The type of failure you're talking about would require scientists as a whole to stop doing science. We're talking about a handful of people who allegedly had an unfavorable opinion. Oh my fucking god, alert the presses (loltoolate).
    Just because bad behavior is limited to a few doesn't mean there's no reason to care about bad behavior. Keeping most people playing by the rules generally require that we care how each other act, that goes for science too.

I don't think this is any sort of disaster, that's why I only made a very short response to it in my response to the OP and focused on their findings instead, but I do think people should care when scientists start being divisive by bringing their biases into their field.

Deleted
    "white race" self victimization thread #143.

I thought racism is not allowed in these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    1. The only criticism they got for those charts was in the press, not in academia.
    2. White lives literally don't count for more.
    3. He explained why the charts looked like that (in the Washington Post interview), that the black rates were much higher and didn't fit on the charts. The research was about whites, so it would be pretty silly to truncate the data on whites in order to accommodate the data on blacks. Truncate in terms of appearance that is...

If there was only one scale, the black scale, the lines for whites would be a relative flat line down at the bottom of the chart with little discernible variation (at that scale).
    1. They got criticism from the academia, this paper sparked a lot of controversy when it was published.
    2. Check the graph? The y axis for whites is lower than the one for blacks.
    3) I re-read the article and the only reference to not including blacks is this one.
    Deaton: I talked to one journalist the other day, and she said, “Ever since your first paper, people have been really upset at you for ignoring black people.”

We weren’t trying to insult anyone. We found something that we thought people didn’t know about.

Our first paper, in the PNAS, was very much just the facts. People were upset at us for not putting black mortality on one of our charts, but the reason it’s not there — which we explain — is that black mortality is so high it doesn’t fit on the graph.
    Which when we follow the link leads us to this paper: http://www.pnas.org/content/112/49/15078.full
    which was published in 2015, their most recent paper is the one that gets the flack.

15+ Year Old Account
    Having an opinion you don't like isn't bad behavior. Stop trying to be the thought police.
    Having an opinion isn't behavior at all. Critiquing the work of other scientists in your field on the basis that it doesn't serve/match your social views is a behavior, one I don't think should be endorsed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hombregato View Post
    1. They got criticism from the academia, this paper sparked a lot of controversy when it was published.
    2. Check the graph? The y axis for whites is lower than the one for blacks.
    3) I re-read the article and the only reference to not including blacks is this one.

Which when we follow the link leads us to this paper: http://www.pnas.org/content/112/49/15078.full
    which was published in 2015, their most recent paper is the one that gets the flack.
    That's literally what I responded to.

Do you not understand the words I responded to you with?

The research was focused on whites. The white rates were much lower than blacks, on those two charts in particular upwards of 50-70% lower. And the variations in whites within their own scale were lower still.

So taking that first chart, for example... And placing it on the black scale...

It would look like this (green line at the bottom):

Doesn't make it particularly easy to discern anything does it? Especially consider the research was literally focused on that green line.

EDIT: Made a more accurate chart with blacks (yellow) and whites (green) at the same scale. Scale is to the right of the normal scale.
    Last edited by I Push Buttons; 2017-04-20 at 12:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wtf we love scientists/researchers now - Climate deniers

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh, OK. So opinions you don't like are fine as long as you don't voice them. What a meaningful difference.
    Yeah, that's a totally accurate representation of what I said. Good job.

This thread really is OT forums in a nutshell. No one else responds to the content of the study, and it immediately evolves into the same hostile conversation on the same theme is most other posts.

Deleted
    The White race .. an endangered species.

Probably there should be a zoo hosting right wing hillbillies who think they are in danger.

Or even more likely a closed asylum for racists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    "white race" self victimization thread #143.

I thought racism is not allowed in these forums.
    How is this self victimization when valid criticism is being made against the practice of including race politics in scientific research?

It's a well known fact in medicine that black people genetically have a higher risk for cardiovascular events and sarcoidosis, compared to other races in the US. Similarly white people have a higher incidence of suicide, cystic fibrosis, and other pathologies that race plays a valuable factor in when trying to diagnose symptoms.

It's not stupid whatsoever that they are studying the epidemiology behind rising suicide rates and anyone who begs to differ with them using racial politics as their primary concern needs to be summarily dismissed if not ridiculed.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

It does seem off-hand that white lower class people are understudied in this scene. Dunno.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    How is this self victimization when valid criticism is being made against the practice of including race politics in scientific research?
    But it isnt. This thread is, once again, just about displaying the "white race" as victim. As like the other 142 threads already opened.

Well the way I see it is that for years heroin was a problem in the poor black inner city community and nobody did much about it. Now that there is a problem in the white community, everyone and their brother is responding. Call it what you will, just something I noticed.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Probably there should be a zoo hosting right wing hillbillies who think they are in danger.

Boy am i glad only right wing hillbillies can be racists, wow that sure brings hope for humanity.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Deleted

Who said that in this thread or this forum even?

Stop race baiting.

10+ Year Old Account
    How about all of you stop talking about it since Endus is probably watching this thread just itching for a reason to lock it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anni View Post
    Who said that in this thread or this forum even?

Stop race baiting.
    Oh i dont have to "race bait", thats already happening in the first post.

This thread is deeply racist from start.

Deleted
    Oh i dont have to "race bait", thats already happening in the first post.

This thread is deeply racist from start.
    Nope.

Nope, not racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Well the way I see it is that for years heroin was a problem in the poor black inner city community and nobody did much about it. Now that there is a problem in the white community, everyone and their brother is responding. Call it what you will, just something I noticed.
    Theres no money in helping the poor, in fact there is only a loss of money. The options are to force those who can pay to help or to rely on compassion of humans. And we all know humans are much better at force then compassion.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anni View Post
    Nope.

Nope, not racist.
    Yes, racist in its core. Its about acting as if the white race is victim of political correctness.

And we already had a ton of those "whitey-in-danger"-threads in this forum.

Deleted
    Yes, racist in its core. Its about acting as if the white race is victim of political correctness.

And we already had ton of those "whitey-in-danger"-threads in this forum.
    No, it isn't. Cut the alarmist crap.