Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    In the linked articles, the commenters are essentially asking for the execution of the protesters, sending marines and/or militias (good, that would be the first time the average militia dude would come near an university), and calling everyone traitor. So as hyperbole go...
    And that is wrong, however I linked the articles because they contained the videos I was using to reply to Endus's comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    So their hate-filled rhetoric and many of the hateful ideas they promote aren't dangerous? I mean, they spew the kind of shit that's ended up motivating the right-wing extremists that have perpetrated attacks in the US, how do you not view that as connected?

I'm aware of that, I've never implied that they're the same. But I differentiate between the protesters that do not engage in violence, and the rioters that use the protests as an excuse to riot.

Fucking what. This is one of the most absurd things I may have ever read.

Like, ever.

Guess what? So did the "bike helmet" generation. Then many of us realized that things like a helmet are minor inconveniences that can literally save our lives and decided there's no reason to take unnecessary risks.

I've multiple broken bones as a result of bike accidents etc. in my youth. I also had a few completely trashed helmets, that would have likely been either my head cracked upon in the street/lot or serious brain damage. I'm pretty fine with being a "pussy" (not your word, I know) and being uncool and wearing a helmet.

But if you want to forgo centuries of safety improvements to stuff we use and activities we do every day, by all means go for it.

Citation needed.

Also, it was the "bike helmet" generations parents that enforced that kind of behavior. It was the parents that handed out participation trophies. Most of us that grew up (even as this shit was just starting) didn't give a fuck or didn't want meaningless shit like that.

Sure, yeah. Your generation (whatever it is) is badass and perfect and there's nothing wrong with it. Not like those stupid millennials, everything is wrong with them!

Is sort of how your post comes off, at least as I read. I'm not sure that was intended on your part, though.

Guess what? A lot of the "bike helmet" generation agrees with you on that.
    Just link me an example of what you think is dangerous. I don't exactly follow these two around, but from what I can see, they just try to piss off liberals, even though their views seem pretty mainstream conservative.

There is no such thing as protests that don't engage in violence and protests that do engage in violence. There are protests, and there are riots, and they are not the same thing. At all.

I have a literal dent in my head. I feel it made me stronger. I'm sure you guys will LOVE that bit of info though. Have fun with it. =)

It seems you are incapable of getting my point. That's unfortunate. I thought more of you than that previously.

I agree it was the parents of the bike helmet movement, that are the real villains.

Even though I think it's wasted text, I guess I'll take another crack at it. It's not just the bike helmets. It's the entire helicopter parent movement. It's the lack of freedom as youth. It's never ever taking the slightest bit of risk their entire lives, until they are grown. It's no wonder they react strongly to a world they didn't even know existed, because they all grew up basically like the boy in the bubble (Travolta hype). If your entire life is lived inside a Moon Walk, the first thing that skins your knee is something you are completely unprepared for. Hence the throwing of bricks instead of just flying of the middle finger.

Of course my generation (gen X) is not without fault. After all, we DID probably have a lot of head injuries. But this topic is relative to the current generation of students, who behave in a way that is completely different than mine did. Sure, we disobeyed authority, probably even more than these kids. But we didn't openly defy it, and throw bricks when we got mad.

It's not that everything is wrong with millennials. It's that THIS thing is wrong. This rioting, group think, fake race problems, safe spaces, denial of truth, refusal to allows others to be individuals, etc. They are good at a lot of things, other than taking irrational offense. But the topic is what it is, and I blame how they were raised, as the reason for the lack of basic human decency in their treating of others who think differently.

It's also a really DUMB mentality, to think that all of the world's problems can be solved by everyone thinking the same way. Rigorous debate is what leads the public as a whole to the right solutions, not shouting down opposing views before they can even be spoken.

10+ Year Old Account
    So...people not in this forum?

Why bring it up as if posters here are making those arguments? It makes no sense and doesn't leave any room for discussion or a response.
    That is how that posters argues all the time. When you try to clarify who they are talking to, or what their own positions are, they never answer.

So...people not in this forum?

Why bring it up as if posters here are making those arguments? It makes no sense and doesn't leave any room for discussion or a response.
    "Trumpist"

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Just link me an example of what you think is dangerous. I don't exactly follow these two around, but from what I can see, they just try to piss off liberals, even though their views seem pretty mainstream conservative.

There is no such thing as protests that don't engage in violence and protests that do engage in violence. There are protests, and there are riots, and they are not the same thing. At all.

I have a literal dent in my head. I feel it made me stronger. I'm sure you guys will LOVE that bit of info though. Have fun with it. =)

It seems you are incapable of getting my point. That's unfortunate. I thought more of you than that previously.

I agree it was the parents of the bike helmet movement, that are the real villains.

Even though I think it's wasted text, I guess I'll take another crack at it. It's not just the bike helmets. It's the entire helicopter parent movement. It's the lack of freedom as youth. It's never ever taking the slightest bit of risk their entire lives, until they are grown. It's no wonder they react strongly to a world they didn't even know existed, because they all grew up basically like the boy in the bubble (Travolta hype). If your entire life is lived inside a Moon Walk, the first thing that skins your knee is something you are completely unprepared for. Hence the throwing of bricks instead of just flying of the middle finger.

Of course my generation (gen X) is not without fault. After all, we DID probably have a lot of head injuries. But this topic is relative to the current generation of students, who behave in a way that is completely different than mine did. Sure, we disobeyed authority, probably even more than these kids. But we didn't openly defy it, and throw bricks when we got mad.

It's not that everything is wrong with millennials. It's that THIS thing is wrong. This rioting, group think, fake race problems, safe spaces, denial of truth, refusal to allows others to be individuals, etc. They are good at a lot of things, other than taking irrational offense. But the topic is what it is, and I blame how they were raised, as the reason for the lack of basic human decency in their treating of others who think differently.

It's also a really DUMB mentality, to think that all of the world's problems can be solved by everyone thinking the same way. Rigorous debate is what leads the public as a whole to the right solutions, not shouting down opposing views before they can even be spoken.
    Bike helmets and seat belts are perfectly sane public safety measures.

Let me guess : wearing a seat belt make people less manly, like driving fuel efficient cars ?
    Do you always do this, ask questions whose answers are in the quote you are asking questions about?

I'm making a nuanced point, while using hyperbole. Those who didn't take literature and English composition classes are just going to get confused, and there isn't a way to avoid that. /shrug

I have no problem with fuel efficient cars. I think from an environmental stand point, things like coal cars...err electric cars make little sense in the places where the electricity generation is worse than the car emissions. This has become less true after Obama regulations forced to many plants to stop burning coal, due to the increased cost of production.

I think a lot of environmentalism, from a science and engineering stand point, is a bit of folly. Like, strip mining the earth for rare metals to put in catalytic converters that cause cars to be less fuel efficient, for example. Another example was the Minnesota school district who switched the buses to 10% bio-diesel, to save the planet. They then later had the issue that the bio-diesel froze at a much higher temperature, so the solution was to leave the buses running all night. /facepalm
    Last edited by Tijuana; 2017-04-20 at 08:37 PM.

You should sue Berkeley at the UN for genocide while being at it.

We all know how it work : if you say mean words about someone screaming with eyes bulging about how Jews, Blacks, Arabs and Liberals should be exterminated, you are ''uh criminal'', because ''fradom of spuch'' is only for pure Aryans sprouting racist drivel.
    Is that the only way you know how to argue is by sidetracking it?

Me: X2=Y
    You: ALIENS!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Who cares about arguing honestly with you when you're suggesting the "right" is going to start killing lefties in the street.
    You don't think one extreme side will trigger another extreme side? Am I the only one who ever took History 101?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    You don't think one extreme side will trigger another extreme side? Am I the only one who ever took History 101?
    No, I don't think a bunch of triggered idiots will start a war.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    1. Make it a felony to protest while hiding your identity. That'll do some good.
    That would be a great first step in cleaning up the internet! Imagine not being able to protest online without exposing who you are irl. Oh man..... awesomeness!

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    No, I don't think a bunch of triggered idiots will start a war.
    That's the thing about Extremist, they don't act like adults, unless you think pepper spaying people, assault, and destroying property is a mature thing.

Never heard her talk, I am just against people using violence to stop free speech.
    did not know free speech violations happened on private non govt property.
    might have to go re read those silly laws

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hombregato View Post
    Ann Coulter is late to the party. Also, there is a lot of irony in a right winger violating private property rights.
    Berkeley is a public university. Not private property.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    (1) Anne Coulter is a performance artist. She is a professional troll who says outrageous things to get people to buy her books and get herself on TV. You don't debate people like Anne Coulter. This is somebody who said "If only people with at least 4 grandparents born in America were voting, Trump would win in a 50-state landslide." She knew exactly the reaction that would provoke. That's not a serious idea and she is not a serious person.

(2) *looks at what you wrote*
    *looks at topic*
    *looks at who wrote it*

You never fooled anbody Zenkai. Drop the charade already.
    Free speech is free speech. Stifling that with violence, or at all, is not only wrong but illegal.

15+ Year Old Account
    https://www.thefire.org/a-message-fr...ech-on-campus/

Topkek.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    The University of California, Berkeley, (also referred to as UC Berkeley, Berkeley, Cal, Cal Berkeley, and California)[6] is a public research university located in Berkeley, California

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    The shit you guys go through to defend people targeting others with violence in order to squelch them would be hilarious if it wasn't so fucking sad. You know damn well if some Left winger was going going to speak and a bunch of right winged people got up there and was acting violent forcing the college to cancel the vent you would be screaming and moaning about the alt right.

You're nothing but a hypocrite.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    That would be a great first step in cleaning up the internet! Imagine not being able to protest online without exposing who you are irl. Oh man..... awesomeness!
    Good thing the internet and real life are the same!

#Antifa logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Therionn View Post
    Berkeley is a public university. Not private property.
    tell that to @Zan15 as well

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    The First Amendment protects Americans from the federal government inhibiting their free speech.

There is no law that says one group of citizens, or an institution, has to do jack shit about another's free speech, be it host them, take it seriously or even listen.

Anne Coulter has countless avenues to express her trollishness. She has for years. It says nothing about free speech, tolerance or anything else to deny a known troll another platform to troll on. If she wants to troll, she has her website. Or she can get on a Faceboom live and rant from her hotel. Nobody is going to take it from her.

But there is absolutely zero reason Berkeley has to host her, or people have to be welcoming. Consider this: why do American institutions largely shun Holocaust revisionism functions, which are often hosted in places like Iran? Because every potential host knows exactly those functions are. In essence, it's the same thing with Anne Coulter. One does not host Anne Coulter to have a conversation with Anne Coulter. She doesn't do conversations. She's a walking-talking shock value generator.

Don't feed the troll.
    Berkeley is funded by the Government, and is in fact, a public university. And actually people do not have the right to violently suppress free speech. That is illegal. They can go protest someone's speech, they can speak against someone's speech, but they cannot violently suppress it. Shock value or not, it's free speech

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Too bad it's not Texas. They could probably legally shoot her for trespassing. /sar?
    California has castle doctrine. If it was private property you could shoot for trespassing/any intent to commit a crime. Berkeley is not private property, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
    I know you're just replying to Endus' challenge, but the egg thing? Seriously? We're gonna consider that assault?

None of the eggs in the video even seem to hit him, and he certainly doesn't seem distressed by the situation.
    Yes, it is assault. Even throwing water in a person's face is assault. We can argue the validity and reasonableness of the law if you like, but it most certainly is currently assault. In this particular case, if none of the eggs hit him, then we would be looking at attempted assault at the very least.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by -Nurot View Post
    This is a non-story.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/20/u...after-all.html

Looks like she's going to perform after all.

They probably didn't want Trump to cry about them on twitter again, like when they cancelled Milo Yiapedo.
    Twelve days until The Fifth Battle of Berkeley
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

Deleted
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/18/politi...sts/index.html

Federal Judge ruled that a public university cannot stop someone from speaking freely.

"Citing safety concerns, Auburn canceled the event Friday. Then, a federal judge granted Spencer's request for an injunction, effectively ordering Auburn to host his speaking event as originally scheduled."

It is against the constitution, which is the law, for a public university to block free speech due to threats of violence. Whether you're a white nationalist, alt right leader, social justice warrior, or communist, this is your right. The end.
    Last edited by mmocdf810d1583; 2017-04-20 at 09:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    What's wrong with college kids today? They need to incite violence with everyone they disagree with instead of debating them? That's what low brow people do, not educated individuals. It must really be easy to get into Berkeley these days.
    Considering it's violence that only makes people respond these days, yes.

How do you think terror attacks are so effective? Violence itself is like a wildfire in our society. Any hint of it breeds controversy while at the same time is recognizable in any part of the country, no, recognizable in the greater world as a fact of human life. They are merely using all the legal tools they can to promote their belief rhetoric, just like Miss Coulter.

They are fundamentally no different in their method, only agenda.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.