Possible Hardware problem with the PSU?

I built a new(ish) computer (compared to a 9 year old Dell I was using), and it's been running fairly well except for this one time I was playing Skyrim on this new rig and the computer turned itself off during gameplay. I couldn't turn the computer back on unless I unplugged and then replugged the computer power cord.

The system specs are:
    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5Ghz
    Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo
    Motherboard: Asus M5 A97 R2.0
    Ram: Kingston HyoerX FURY 8GB DDR3 1866Mhz
    Graphics: MSI Armor 2x GeForce GTX 960 2GB OC
    Case: NZXT Elite 210 Source
    PSU: EVGA 600B Bronze 100-B1-0600-KR

The temps for the CPU never seem to reach over 60c, the hottest the GPU seems to get is about 75c (and I am not sure what temps are considered safe for the GPU I am using).

But considering I had trouble turning the computer back on, maybe it's the PSU? Is there anyway I can diagnose this possible problem and nip it in the bud before it gets worse?

- - - Updated - - -

Is the Asus M5A97 R2.0 board notorious for inaccurate sensor data?

I keep getting weird sensor warnings from the software that came with the motherboard. Like how the CPU reached 96C (I have checked CPUID HWMonitor, and the highest it went was 35C), or how the voltage reached a bad voltage, but the popup didn't stay on screen long enough for me to compare.

I am beginning to think that I should have went with a different board for my computer.

My question still stands, is there a way to diagnose the actual problem before it gets worse?

Is the CPU Fan conected to the right 4 pin on the board ?

I wouldnt trust board software tbh, just use HWmonitor. As for the PC turning itself off, take a quick look inside your PC and behind the motherboard if you can, make sure all the standoffs are in place. Other things to check would be wiring or even zip ties (coating can rub off of zip ties shorting stuff out).

If it only happened once its probably nothing to worry about, but if it was my PC id make sure to give it a good look around inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I wouldnt trust board software tbh, just use HWmonitor. As for the PC turning itself off, take a quick look inside your PC and behind the motherboard if you can, make sure all the standoffs are in place. Other things to check would be wiring or even zip ties (coating can rub off of zip ties shorting stuff out).

If it only happened once its probably nothing to worry about, but if it was my PC id make sure to give it a good look around inside.
    HWMonitor reads exactly the same sensors as motherboard software.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    HWMonitor reads exactly the same sensors as motherboard software.
    Helps to read a post before replying:
    I keep getting weird sensor warnings from the software that came with the motherboard. Like how the CPU reached 96C (I have checked CPUID HWMonitor, and the highest it went was 35C)

Helps to read a post before replying:
    This only means he read it wrong. If motherboards sensors are faulty HWMonitor wont be able to get different readings.

@OP It's possible that you have an overheating core, check if the bottom of your heatsink is flat and that there is an even layer of thermopaste applied.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Is the CPU Fan conected to the right 4 pin on the board ?
    Yes.

I'll give it a gander, but I am pretty sure I got the standoffs in the right place.

As for wiring, I'll be definitely looking at that.

- - - Updated - - -

I am hesitant to check on the thermal compound because that would mean cleaning the cpu off and reapplying compound. The heatsink is on flat as I can tell. I do not have the right cleaning solutions for cleaning compound off the cpu anyway at the moment.

This only means he read it wrong. If motherboards sensors are faulty HWMonitor wont be able to get different readings.

@OP It's possible that you have an overheating core, check if the bottom of your heatsink is flat and that there is an even layer of thermopaste applied.
    I've had 2 different pcs of sofware give different temps, up to 10° C difference even though they should see the same sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    Yes.

I'll give it a gander, but I am pretty sure I got the standoffs in the right place.

As for wiring, I'll be definitely looking at that.

- - - Updated - - -

I am hesitant to check on the thermal compound because that would mean cleaning the cpu off and reapplying compound. The heatsink is on flat as I can tell. I do not have the right cleaning solutions for cleaning compound off the cpu anyway at the moment.
    Any small amount of spirit will do. Just make sure you hava a replacement.

Any small amount of spirit will do. Just make sure you hava a replacement.
    I don't suppose medical alcohol pads would do, would it?

I don't suppose medical alcohol pads would do, would it?
    If they use alcohol as a disinfectant they will do.

Well I decided to check the thermal compound on the CPU after the computer had shut down by itself once more. And it looks like I evenly distributed the compound.

I am guessing a faulty Power Supply. Is there anyway to find out for sure?

Well I decided to check the thermal compound on the CPU after the computer had shut down by itself once more. And it looks like I evenly distributed the compound.

I am guessing a faulty Power Supply. Is there anyway to find out for sure?
    You can: a) check voltages with software like HWMonitor or Speedfan; b) test with a different PSU.

Bump.

Sorry, it seems the problem is becoming more common lately. And I took a look in to my computer, and could a slightly damaged 24 pin connector cause the issue of the computer shutting off spontaneously? The 24 pin connector is separated in to 2 parts, 1 part is 20 pins, the 2nd is 4 pins. and it seems connecting the 4 pins is placing extra pressure on the side of the 20 pin part of the connector.

I am looking in to buying a replacement, but I want a PSU which 24 pin is not separated. Any suggestions?

Deleted
    The 20+4 doesn't generally cause a problem, the 4 pin has to go into the socket first though, or as one interconnected block. The 4 pin has flanges on which interlock with the bottom of the lip of the 20 pin, so must sit beneath the lip of the 20 pin.

I have a G2 and this is a 20+4 also, when the blocks are interlaced properly they won't force cant in the socket.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just in case, try cleaning the inside of the PSU with compressed air, might have an arc occurring due to dust and the movement of reconnecting the cord may be temporarily alleviating it.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by DonGenaro View Post
    The 20+4 doesn't generally cause a problem, the 4 pin has to go into the socket first though, or as one interconnected block. The 4 pin has flanges on which interlock with the bottom of the lip of the 20 pin, so must sit beneath the lip of the 20 pin.

I have a G2 and this is a 20+4 also, when the blocks are interlaced properly they won't force cant in the socket.
    I dunno, I didn't really know about which part of the connector had to go in first. Since the connector (now) seems to be a bit damaged, I would still like to find a good PSU that has a 24 pin connector as one piece instead of a 20+4 connector. If it still spontaneously powers off after that, it'll probably be the motherboard.

Thinking of going with this: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Modular-...-0650-V1+80%2B

A good buy?
    Last edited by RampageBW1; 2017-04-23 at 04:23 AM.