Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Will Affliction or Destruction be better for ToS?

I really can't find a clear answer which of the two will be better for ToS. I checked the topics, but they didn't give me clearance too. So my simple question, which one will do the most DPS in ToS?

The problem is that there is no clear answer. So it's impossible for you to find it.

What we know is that affliction was the strongest spec. It's getting a bit of a rework that some suggest might end up being a bit of a nerf. And we are not sure in the new raid affliction will be able to spam its artifact ability so much, which should also lower its DPS. So afliccion is going down a bit. This could mean it stays like the top spec. Or it goes down quite a bit and its still viable but not the top spec.

We also know demon is currently very strong, it's the third strongest spec in mythic parses, only behind afliction and frost DK. And it's only getting slight changes that should not be very impactful. So we should expect demon to stay as a strong spec. The strongest? Thats going to depend on the other specs. But I think demon will be strong.

Finally destro, destro is getting A LOT OF CHANGES. And therefore is very difficult to predict where is going to end. Its true that the changes are positive both in terms of mechanics and pure damage. So we should expect destro to go up by a lot. However right now its quite crappy so even if it goes up by a lot it might end up not being enough. My guess its that it will be a good specc, a viable specc, but it might not be the strongest spec. But i could be wrong. And the buffs to destro could actually make a huge difference.

So as you can see its not very clear. In my opinion its quite clear that all 3 will be viable. Its also clear that demo should stay as a top spec (like its now). But the rest will depend on how strong is the nerf of aff and how strong is the buff on destro. The patch comes out tomorrow, ill check the parses on mythic on thursday to see how the numbers have changed. That will give you a good initial idea of how things might develop.

Anyone suggesting otherwise, suggesting that destro is definetly the strongest, or demo or whatever. It's not being intellectually honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptar View Post
    I really can't find a clear answer which of the two will be better for ToS. I checked the topics, but they didn't give me clearance too. So my simple question, which one will do the most DPS in ToS?
    You should hop in the Warlock Discord and ask that question

Quote Originally Posted by Buckles44 View Post
    You should hop in the Warlock Discord and ask that question
    "Just sim it"
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCatfu6-qGs

This is just his opinions, but he has at least tested every boss. His focus is mainly in a progression minded sense, and granted he is an affliction main but there's a lot of valuable points made in there. If you take into consideration that Afflic is becoming quite a bit more versatile than just a boss tunneling spec, its way higher survivability, and potential execute spec I'd say he is right on the money.

Now sure, demo might pull ahead on some fights and I'm sure destruct will have a few shining fights (demonic inq) but affliction covers everything pretty cleanly and I don't think you would be bringing your group down in any way by playing it on all fights. Locks are lucky in that it appears each spec is fairly viable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptar View Post
    Simple answer: We don't know yet.

More complex answer: Sims can only tell us so much, as well as limited testing on the bosses. BUT! There's already a tuning pass announced and possibly even a second one just after mythic is released, which could throw all our expectations out of the window.

Solution: Get both weapons to 52. Demo too if possible. Think about what legendaries you have available. I think that will play the biggest role in your choice.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyleggs View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCatfu6-qGs

This is just his opinions, but he has at least tested every boss. His focus is mainly in a progression minded sense, and granted he is an affliction main but there's a lot of valuable points made in there. If you take into consideration that Afflic is becoming quite a bit more versatile than just a boss tunneling spec, its way higher survivability, and potential execute spec I'd say he is right on the money.

Now sure, demo might pull ahead on some fights and I'm sure destruct will have a few shining fights (demonic inq) but affliction covers everything pretty cleanly and I don't think you would be bringing your group down in any way by playing it on all fights. Locks are lucky in that it appears each spec is fairly viable.
    The amount of changes would likely push it into #1 til class balance passes hit live, after that it will likely be comparable to both other specs with some fights it shines out and others where it does ok or bad. That being said, the performance of the damage should be secondary to is the class even playable, in my opinion destroy was not playable, it was like trying to use a development class on Heroes or Smite but live.

Play what you enjoy, not what's best and I can guarantee you'll do better than having someone tell you otherwise. For instance, on paper Demo is best raiding spec, but I enjoy playing Affliction ( believe it or not ). The difference in my results is astounding as I spend time reviewing how to maximize the spec I enjoy, not the one that is theoretically better. Thus my satisfaction higher, and so are my results. Top Parsing is going to be irrelevant if you don't answer the question yourself of that which is best. Although, you can easily see which of the specs can be cheesed most by reviewing https://www.warcraftlogs.com/
    Nerdrage-15 Minute Cooldown. You enter a berserker rage, increasing typing speed by 75%, chance to hit CAPS LOCK by 50% and decreasing chance to get laid by 100%. You feel no pity or remorse and can not be stopped unless banned.

Deleted
    Maybe the question should be: "Which spec will support my raid as best as possible". We all know that afflictions are very good WHEN he can tunnel the boss and when sometimes adds come inside to give us the Wrath buff. I love to play affliction, but i also hate it becaouse my DPS numbers will be never as high as now when i play the mechanics correct. Best example is Ghuldan.. Running and help other people? Hell no!

I think destruction has a better burst and thats why he can react much better on situations.

Destruction has the best progression toolkit, hands down.

Even if Aff will be the highest dps spec, Destruction will still be the better progress spec.

Deleted
    The dmg especially the single target dmg looks very well balanced on all 3 specs in 7.2.5 with demo being ahead slightly with very low movement. Seriously play that spec that you enjoy the most because all specs do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Walrock View Post

Even if Aff will be the highest dps spec, Destruction will still be the better progress spec.
    I've always agreed with the "progression toolkit" Destruction has historically offered...

I am curious to see how it all plays out in terms of the "mindset" moving forward... Affliction is now much less fixated on being a drain turret (an inherently higher level of consistency provided by baked in additions) and quite a lot of self-healing/survivability and lastly, execute... Obviously, Affliction cannot provide the level of burst on two targets that Destruction can - guess it depends on the fight (as always) and individual raid composition.

I'm certainly keeping up with Affliction and Destruction to keep my bases covered that's for sure
    Last edited by pappaslop; 2017-06-13 at 07:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it has only been 1 day but Destro and Afflic are neck and neck in NH, that is with 3x as many Afflic parses as Destro.

Deleted
    i could see them actually being somewhat balanced inbetween. just that their uses will be different. Destruction covering cleave and priority damage with its high damage spikes from Chaosbolts/rifts, Affliction being the one you choose for more ST/bossdamage.

im uncertain how Affliction does compete with Demonology though, they both kinda cover the same category, just that Affliction got some more AOE glued to it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caleborn View Post
    i could see them actually being somewhat balanced inbetween. just that their uses will be different. Destruction covering cleave and priority damage with its high damage spikes from Chaosbolts/rifts, Affliction being the one you choose for more ST/bossdamage.

im uncertain how Affliction does compete with Demonology though, they both kinda cover the same category, just that Affliction got some more AOE glued to it.
    Demo tunnels harder. Affliction is awesome for fights with addcleave and sustained 2+ targets (Botanist is retarded as aff now)

Deleted
    Destro for some bosses, Affliction for some others. They're pretty much even in ST. It's about cleave/burst/sustained/aoe dmg and what the encounter demands. Pretty much the way it should be.

Both destro and aff have strong toolkits, hopefully they don't get sunk in nerfs of NH content for ToS balance... I would play one vs the other based on comfort level, raid needs, and honestly mobility. Destro is probably a slightly better mechanical kit with less reliance on encounter specificity to do well (IE soulflame, WoC stacks, etc). Affliction's mobility with a non MG build is pretty great and you can talent with less penalty vs min/max. Two nitpicks: aff needs PS to have the timer/HP protection like murder of crows. Losing a 40 sec CD to someone picking the mob you have targeted to burst sucks and there isn't always a clear choice. Also PS not causing WoC stacks but that is probably intentional. I could see aff with WiA, AC, SL to be perfect for a raid leader, someone with a raid mechanics "job", etc and that is never rated or value captured on logs.

Deleted
    I still see DE as one of our best talents for progress. It will be better than standart simulations shows it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Walrock View Post

Destro will be pretty gimped in tomb with all the movement.

Not really, we can stockpile shards now to unleash them during the heavy movement bits where you maybe get 2s to stand still.
    And we still have conflag/life tap/portals for the movement parts, we will be fine.