Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    when people say "british humoUr" there are varying versions of it. theres the slapstick pie to the face, theres the toilet humour talking about bums and farts etc, and theres rhetorical humour, basically showing just how retarded people are by stating simple facts that people overlook. its the third that americans dont understand, if you look at comedians like ricky gervais, jimmy carr, frankie boyle etc theyre all just talking about topics and their perspective of it and thinking "what the hell are people thinking" which is funny in england. now if we want to talk about punchable brits lets all agree to hate piers morgan that guy's a pen15
    Haven't seen Ricky Gervais in awhile, never seen Jimmy carr, the Frankie Boyle special i watched was hilarious though. But when people see John Oliver it's hard not to compare him to John Stewart since they do basically the same thing. And John Oliver is no John Stewart.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Deleted
    rhetorical humour, basically showing just how retarded people are by stating simple facts that people overlook. its the third that americans dont understand, if you look at comedians like ricky gervais, jimmy carr, frankie boyle etc theyre all just talking about topics and their perspective of it and thinking "what the hell are people thinking" which is funny in england.
    Oliver lacks some characteristic deadpan about this kind of humor. He reminds me more of Stewart, than anything British I've seen.
    I think they do understand it. Sarah Silverline does it and is well known.
    Though, thinking about Gervais here, the different versions of The Office seem to offer a glimpse of cultural differences. The UK version presenting an un-apologetically cringey character, and the US version ultimately showing some sympathy towards the equivalent character. One exemplifies "we're all fucked" mentalities, whereas the other goes with a "it gets better" message.

Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    Oliver lacks some characteristic deadpan about this kind of humor. He reminds me more of Stewart, than anything British I've seen.
    I think they do understand it. Sarah Silverline does it and is well known.
    Though, thinking about Gervais here, the different versions of The Office seem to offer a glimpse of cultural differences. The UK version presenting an un-apologetically cringey character, and the US version ultimately showing some sympathy towards the equivalent character. One exemplifies "we're all fucked" mentalities, whereas the other goes with a "it gets better" message.
    yeah i would agree that oliver is a 2nd rate comic, but youve hit the nail on the head expressing the differences in the office and the remake. if you compare john steward and oliver the differences are the same. although i dont rate either of them personally but its deffo a culture thing. after watching some of his stuff he does have american comic show "isms" and hes probably just following the norm, but half of the stuff he is doing is the british sense of humour. which is why you guys probably think his stuff is very hit and miss.

I miss when LWT were about exposing shitty things and not talking crap about the Trumps.

10+ Year Old Account
    so what do you want us to talk about?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was watching John Oliver for a while, but once Trump started gaining steam, Oliver has only made "I hate Trump" videos for months now. Unless he returns to his original content format, I doubt Ill watch him again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    I was watching John Oliver for a while, but once Trump started gaining steam, Oliver has only made "I hate Trump" videos for months now. Unless he returns to his original content format, I doubt Ill watch him again.
    same here. his material is getting old. as is the op's habit of not posting anything of substance.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Huulo View Post
    Is your standard of comedy how well you think someone could do in a hypothetical fight? Do you think John Cena is a comedian? I've never understood this mentality of reducing someone's accomplishments this way. I mean, FDR probably wouldn't have done that well in a fight either, considering that he was paralyzed.
    My thoughts of him as a comedian and personal dislike of his character are completely separate. I find him to be unfunny and a whiny cunt at the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    I miss when LWT were about exposing shitty things and not talking crap about the Trumps.
    I mean, that's still exposing shitty things... so... not sure why you're complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    I mean, that's still exposing shitty things... so... not sure why you're complaining.
    Uh huh. Kinda like all the jabs at Obama, every episode, during his presidency, oh wait.

Repeated comedy gets dull. He didn't get the memo yet.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by archimonde9999 View Post
    I really dislike this John Oliver guy. Politics aside, he comes of as extremely condescending
    Because he is. He pushes his own political agenda and does it in very bad taste and with a humor that is really not funny, to myself at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I'm not really seeing it. What's wrong with Jareds face?
    Eh, something about him just reeks of entitlement to me.

John Oliver nails it, Ivanka says nothing of substance and Kushner has said nothing at all (even SNL has noticed), and people are projecting their wishful fantasies about their moderation due to this vacuum.
    Last edited by paralleluniverse; 2017-04-24 at 02:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Uh huh. Kinda like all the jabs at Obama, every episode, during his presidency, oh wait.

Repeated comedy gets dull. He didn't get the memo yet.
    B-b-but Obama!

Sad. Low energy!

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    B-b-but Obama!

Sad. Low energy!
    Oh, turning it into a partisan issue. How cute, but expected~

10+ Year Old Account
    If he disagrees with me, he is condescending and hes bad because I perceive it that way!
    If someone else disagrees with you get over it you stupid libtard snowflake!

hes a standard englishman using wit. which americans don't understand. which is obvious from the above comments from the thickos. he is pretty funny for an englishman hes certainly no james corden or ricky gervais though.
    As a Dutchman i find him funny too. But aside from that, John Oliver is right about Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner. Nobody knows anything about them, but they are being presented as the bringers of balance in Trump's unstable presidency. And that is actualy pretty scary.

But i'm sure you Trumpeteers know exactly what you are doing.

Last edited by Adolecent; 2017-04-24 at 03:41 PM.
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

10+ Year Old Account
    He lost my viewership early in the election when he decided to push the DNC narrative. I have no interest in partisan hacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    Why do people keep on posting videos from this unfunny comedian? Raising your voice does not make you funnier.
    It's almost as if humor is subjective.

But you knew that. You were just being a cunt.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by God Save The King; 2017-04-24 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    My thoughts of him as a comedian and personal dislike of his character are completely separate. I find him to be unfunny and a whiny cunt at the same time.
    Ok, just curious though, is your personal dislike because you hypothetically believe he wouldn't do well in a fight? I've seen this attitude more and more online and I want to understand it better. It usually goes like this:

Person A: These are my views on blank.

Person B: I bet I would be so much tougher than you if we met in real life, so your views are invalid. (oftentimes the word cuck is used with it's new meaning).

That may not have been your intent specifically, it's just a pattern I've noticed.

Do you realize that his mannerisms on tv are part of the character he plays, that of a stereotyped English gentleman as perceived by Americans?