Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool Record number of refugees admitted to Canada in 2016, highest since 1980

Canada has admitted the largest number of refugees in a single year in nearly four decades, according to the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.

The resettlement of 46,700 refugees in 2016 marks a “tremendous achievement” and a record for Canada since 1978, when the Immigration Act came into effect, the UNHCR representative in Canada said Monday.

“We are very delighted that last year such large numbers (of refugees) were able to be resettled,” Jean-Nicolas Beuze told CTVNews.ca in a telephone interview from Ottawa.

The record number includes both privately-and government-sponsored refugees.

According to the UNHCR, the top five countries of origin in 2016 were:

Syria: 33,266
    Eritrea: 3,934
    Iraq: 1,650
    Congo: 1,644
    Afghanistan: 1,354

The Liberal government’s pledge to take in 25,000 Syrian refugees in 2015 – and thousands more since – has become one of Canada’s largest resettlement efforts.

The previous record for refugee intake in a single year was set in 1980, when Canada accepted 40,271 people during the resettlement of Indochinese refugees, the UNHCR said.

Beuze said that Canada was the No. 2 country for refugee resettlement last year. The United States, which resettled 84,995 refugees in 2016, ranked at the top.

“The global need remains huge,” Beuze said.

There are currently an estimated 21 million forcibly displaced people worldwide, and 1,190,000 refugees in need of resettlement this year, the UNHCR said.

Beuze said the UNHCR will continue to work with Canada on expanding the refugee resettlement efforts. “It’s a life-saving intervention.”

In a UNHCR news release, Canada’s Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Ahmed Hussen said that Ottawa is “proud” to work with the global refugee agency.

"Canada hopes to increase global refugee resettlement and support ‎civil society and other jurisdictions to expand resettlement along with developing other solutions for the world's most vulnerable,” he said.

The UNHCR is highlighting the story of one Syrian family that started a new life in Saint John, N.B. Nasser and Shamsa Alrajab arrived in February, 2016 with their five children, of which three are severely disabled. Thanks to much-needed health-care and community programs, the family is now adapting to life in Canada, the UNHCR said.

Although a recent report found that integration and financial independence remain a challenge for many Syrian refugees a year after their arrival, Beuze said that overall, refugees in Canada end up doing very well.

He said the majority of refugees find jobs and develop a strong attachment to Canada over the years. Children integrate very well, he said, because they are able to pick up English or French quickly and usually thrive in school.

“Becoming a refugee is never a choice,” Beuze said. “It’s a decision you have to make to save your life and the lives of your children.”
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/record-...1980-1.3382444

Hopefully we can surpass these numbers this year. Canada needs to be a beacon of light for the world in these dark times.
    It's a real shame that other countries aren't pulling their weight!

Yet... It's nothing.

The USA has a more liberal immigration system.

Quote Originally Posted by Hombregato View Post
    Even under Trump, yes.

15+ Year Old Account
    A lot less than any country in Europe really.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hombregato View Post
    Not per capita. Nice try.

Deleted
    A step in the right direction.
    It's good to see Canada step outside of the comfy zone and do a bit more. Baby steps, we know, but that's alright =).

Indeed, keep it up Canada, if you keep walking down this path - somewhere down the road, way further down the road - you can join the big countries when it comes to Refugee intake and, by doing so, shining bright as a beacon of hope.

Still get a trophy for trying, though! Kudos.

Lol, even Australia has more and they're racist. Good try Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Lol, even Australia has more and they're racist. Good try Canada.
    Where are your numbers bud? Prove it

10+ Year Old Account
    "There are currently an estimated 21 million forcibly displaced people worldwide, and 1,190,000 refugees in need of resettlement this year, the UNHCR said."

And Canada has taken in 46,700. That is a percentage so small I cannot even be bothered to work it out.

Why do Canadians hate refugees so much?
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2017-04-27 at 06:17 PM. Reason: reversed

Deleted
    Congrats, Canada, you finally can use the bicycle with baby wheels without anyone helping you.

At least you guys have a ocean, because 40% of the refugees my country recieved left for Germany. -.-

Deleted
    That's not a lot for a country with like 30 million population.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Congrats, Canada, you finally can use the bicycle with baby wheels without anyone helping you.

At least you guys have a ocean, because 40% of the refugees my country recieved left for Germany. -.-
    Germany is a great match. Their economy is booming and they are in need of labour. I've seen many threads on here with regards to this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Germany is a great match. Their economy is booming and they are in need of labour. I've seen many threads on here with regards to this.
    You started those threads.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as they don't keep cutting holes in transport trucks so they can shit without stopping, I don't care.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

7+ Year Old Account
    Their economy is booming because of Germans, not because of mass migration from the third world.

Where are your numbers bud? Prove it
    did you just assume its gender?
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    You started those threads.

Touche.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    So all the terrorist attacks didn't teach you jack shit Canada. Who on earth can be delighted that immigrants go resettled....

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-04-24 at 09:52 PM.