How to obtain PvP gear in Legion...?

I am a returning player who hasn't really played consistently since before MoP. I have just recently gotten back into the swing of things with my toons and reached 110 and have epic'd them out, now I am trying to get back into PvP. I have noticed that the old system of acquiring honor for gear is no longer around and, from what I understand, you can only collect gear either by opening the caches after winning matches or after the season ends if you have hit certain benchmarks (rating/wins)?

Is this accurate? or am I missing a way to get gear. I am not really looking to collect top end PvP gear as I do not have the time to grind out matches for rated BG's or Arenas, so I mainly just to random BGs and jump into a rated BG if someone is looking for extra players.

TL;DR
    Am I going to be pigeon holed to only getting gear from caches if I don't start doing rated BGs??

Thanks for all feedback!!

How to obtain PvP gear in Legion:

Step 1: Get gear of the highest iLevel from whatever source you can.

Thats it, you're finished.

1. Go do the highest form of pve you can find.
    2. Collect the best ilvl gear.
    3. Do pvp!
    4.???
    5. Profit!

Deleted
    For every BG you win you get a random 870+ item.
    Winning 10 2v2 and 10 3v3 a week will get you a 880+ item and also offers a bonus roll.

It's still all about your weapon though (and unlocking all the needed pvp talents too btw). People with maxed out talents are going to destroy you until you are closing in.

Like others said: do world quests and farm broken isles armor tokens (850+) to get you started.

Another source is to oblitherate unwanted pvp pieces (only works for gladiator pieces, not combatant) for a new currency you can use to buy pieces from pvp vendors in dala (alliance has one behind the paladin class hall portal) you will need to oblitherate 7 pieces to buy 1 new piece.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone know how some people are obtaining the new Gladiator set without doing any rated games? Was really looking to collect it for transmog, and did my rated caches, but now I'm seeing people running around in it without having stepped in rated arena/rbg.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nition View Post
    Anyone know how some people are obtaining the new Gladiator set without doing any rated games? Was really looking to collect it for transmog, and did my rated caches, but now I'm seeing people running around in it without having stepped in rated arena/rbg.
    PVP world quest, Brawls and non-rated random BGs can award the basic Cruel Gladiator pieces.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyxi View Post
    PVP world quest, Brawls and non-rated random BGs can award the basic Cruel Gladiator pieces.
    Interesting. The only pieces I've received from random bg's are the combatant gear, not the gladiator gear. Guess I've just been unlucky.

Deleted
    Best gear in pvp is the highest ilvl gear and at this moment fastest way to get that is to farm Nether shards. For 5k nethershard you will a 880+ ilvl gear and a chance at a legendary. I farmed shards at late night with a good group, 25k took around 3 hours.

Deleted
    Through pve, go to farm Nethershards.
    You can acquire they by killing normal monsters or from looting Wyrmtongue Chests in the Broken Shore, or by doing Legion Invasion World Quests.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nition View Post
    Interesting. The only pieces I've received from random bg's are the combatant gear, not the gladiator gear. Guess I've just been unlucky.
    Yes. I went through a streak of nothing but combatant. I have a full hunter set for the transmog and absolutely no rated anything.