Page 1 of 48
... LastLast
    Deleted

Dad holidaying with daughter wrongly accused of paedophilia

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel...eee86688add67a

A FATHER has been left horrified after he was accused of paedophilia when he checked into a hotel with his 13-year-old daughter.
    Craig Darwell, 46, was treating his daughter Millie, 13, to a trip to an amusement park when he checked into the Travelodge hotel.
    “We checked in and then I had to move my car,” Mr Darwell told The Sun.
    “When I got back to reception the guy started asking me to prove I was her dad. He said it was company policy and I had to go on to Facebook to show messages I’ve sent to her.”
    --
    ‘HE SHOULD BE GRATEFUL’
    On social media, some people praised the response from the hotel.
    One person wrote: “I understand the Dad’s upset but on the other hand if Travelodge did nothing they could have turned a blind eye to something more sinister. We do need to protect our vulnerable against those monsters out there but perhaps a different approach would have been better. It's a hard one. There was nothing to hide so he should, in essence, be grateful someone out there had his kid’s back.”

And another: “He should feel assured that if a daughter did get taken or groomed Travelodge could be the ones to stop anything before it happened.”
    A spokesman for Travelodge told The Telegraph that while they apologised to Craig they take their “responsibilities towards protecting children and vulnerable young people extremely seriously.”
    So, why are men who are out on a trip with their daughter made suspects in this manner? Quite ridiculous to assume that it's some pedophile just because a father goes on a trip with their daughter, wtf!

Quote Originally Posted by Njorun View Post
    http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel...eee86688add67a

--

So, why are men who are out on a trip with their daughter made suspects in this manner? Quite ridiculous to assume that it's some pedophile just because a father goes on a trip with their daughter, wtf!
    That's pretty freaking messed up and it shouldn't be praised, there was no reason to assume he was a pedo, it's not like it's uncommon for a single father to take their kids on trips.

All men are rapists and paedophiles, that's just how it is! /s

-
    I'd be rather annoyed if someone had to go through my facebook messages to prove something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freese View Post
    People on either side of the political spectrum are no more or less sophisticated, rational, or logical than their ideological counterparts.

Deleted
    Id stay somewhere else if the place i was staying asked me that

Asking someone to prove parent-child relations is very different from accusing someone of pedophilia.

That being said, facebook messages to prove familial relations? Just ask for the bloody passports.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Speaking of extreme double standards - I had to run an errand today then afterwards I was meeting my mother and my niece in the park down the road.

The fucking looks I got from women with their children as I walked through the park alone as a guy in his 20s... holy shit.

Actually obscene.

Society: Social norms are bad. Dads should spend more time with their kids.
    Also society: This man must be a paedophile. Why else would he be travelling with a 13 year old girl?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Asking someone to prove parent-child relations is very different from accusing someone of pedophilia.

That being said, facebook messages really? Just ask for the bloody passports.
    I doubt they had passports, sounds like two british people staying somewhere else in the UK?

That being said, facebook messages to prove familial relations? Just ask for the bloody passports.
    He had the police called on him. Pretty sure you don't call police to prove child-parent relations without it being an accusation of pedophilia.

Deleted

It's very likely nobody would've questioned it if it was a woman with her daughter or son though. And no, it wasn't just being asked to prove it since the police were called.

if it happened to me i'd be offended rather than be glad someone was looking out for my kid. I dont need to be stopped at various points throughout my day and be suspected of being a pedo under the guise people are looking out for my kid, that should be the obvious and overwhelming assumption.

that kinda pedo hysteria is weird and deeply offensive to regular parents (dads).

Quote Originally Posted by Peggle View Post
    I doubt they had passports, sounds like two british people staying somewhere else in the UK?
    Passports, ICs, copies of birth certs etc etc.

It's an electronic world today, and you are telling me parents don't keep a copy of their childs' birth certs and important document(s) in their smartphones?

I know my family and I certainly do, because we travel often and the copy can help save our asses if we lose our passports, as it did happen to my uncle once while in Thailand.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Now lets get someone to demand a woman prove "that's really her boy" and see what the response is!

Bonus points if it's an interracial child.

Quote Originally Posted by Njorun View Post
    It's very likely nobody would've questioned it if it was a woman with her daughter or son though. And no, it wasn't just being asked to prove it since the police were called.
    Suspected case of x doesn't mean it's an accusation of x.

This is a cut-and-dry case of slippery slope fallacy.

Deleted

It's an electronic world today, and you are telling me parents don't keep a copy of their childs' birth certs and important document(s) in their smartphones?

I know my family and I certainly do, because we travel often and the copy can help save our asses if we lose our passports, as it did happen to my uncle once while in Thailand.
    I don't know anyone who has stuff like that saved on their phone.

Deleted
    Suspected case of x doesn't mean it's an accusation of x.

This is a cut-and-dry case of slippery slope fallacy.
    If you call the police for it, it is an accusation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    The fucking looks I got from women with their children as I walked through the park alone as a guy in his 20s... holy shit.

Also society: This man must be a paedophile. Why else would he be travelling with a 13 year old girl?
    This wasn't the norm 30-40 years ago, and it's also not the norm in several places/countries, i guess some places are just heading more towards a rape/pedo hysteria culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    I don't know anyone who has stuff like that saved on their phone.
    If you don't, you should.

It's just like 5 minutes to take a photo of every important document you got. Preferably saved into a cloud drive or something too.

Deleted

I dont know anyone who would take those docs when staying in same country, if going abroad maybe.

Deleted

It's just like 5 minutes to take a photo of every important document you got. Preferably saved into a cloud drive or something too.
    Opening yourself up to identity hijacking like that sure sounds good.

Deleted

I don't disagree, it's easy to do and it makes sense. But it's not exactly an obligation.