Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    Until they figure out how to stop showing all the idiots looking for attention by killing people, raping people, beating up people with mental health issues, driving while drunk.......... Until they can do that, all that it does is encourage these idiots who want their 15 minutes.
    Totally agree my friend. Totally agree.

Maybe Facebook should just allow it to be use by Business's and charge them for its use.
    That might discourage the average idiot "wanna be famous" murderer or criminal element out of it.

from David Bowie's song "Fame"

Fame, (fame) what you like is in the limo
    Fame, (fame) what you get is no tomorrow
    Fame, (fame) what you need you have to borrow Fame
    Fame, (fame) it's mine, it's mine, it's just his line
    To bind your time, it drives you to crime (fame)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    People don't need protection from Facebook Live, since you can choose NOT to watch it and you will have no negative side effects thus not letting the majority use it because of a minority that can be easily avoided is non-sensical, whereas if you choose to NOT follow Speed Limits you will have negative consequences that can harm the majority.

So your point is invalid.
    You could also choose not to drive on the highway, so all speedlimits on highways should be superfluous?
    How about drinking milk? You can choose not to drink it, so why have regulations that say it must not contain trash?

Your logic is misguided.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Apparently it's a huge job to moderate Facebook, people are constantly posting shit they're not supposed to. https://www.wired.com/2014/10/content-moderation/

Imo, the feature isn't all that great, if it's that had to moderate content then discontinuing it might be a good idea.
    Yes, if they cannot keep control over their own service then they should not offer it in the first place.

7+ Year Old Account
    No, nooooo shut them all down. Shut down all the live streaming services!!!

Deleted
    Quick, lets ban all streaming services in the world. And recording apparatus so people can't record things. Lets just ban everything, that'll fix crime.

Stupid is stupid and it will find a way to do stupid things. Going the route of "this was used for X ergo it needs to be banned" is at the very least a naive way to look at things.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Yes, if they cannot keep control over their own service then they should not offer it in the first place.
    While I don't think it would be appropriate to shut down Facebook Live over these things, there is a certain degree of truth to this comment. There should be a greater degree of responsibility between companies and their product. Facebook at the very least needs to find better ways to catch, shut down, and prosecute people using their service in a criminal fashion. They are not in any way at fault for the crimes themselves, anyone looking to murder someone wouldn't stop because their streaming method of choice was no longer available, but anyone who even watched the stream without reporting it as a crime should be up for criminal charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    While I don't think it would be appropriate to shut down Facebook Live over these things, there is a certain degree of truth to this comment. There should be a greater degree of responsibility between companies and their product. Facebook at the very least needs to find better ways to catch, shut down, and prosecute people using their service in a criminal fashion. They are not in any way at fault for the crimes themselves, anyone looking to murder someone wouldn't stop because their streaming method of choice was no longer available, but anyone who even watched the stream without reporting it as a crime should be up for criminal charges.
    Yes, but since that would flood the authorities with notifications facebook should be required to assist in this.
    Do they have such channels on their websites? (Never used facebook.)

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    if you take that logic, and applies it on everything, you will literally ban everything.

knives, games, youtube, cars, bikes, pens, pencils, and lots lots of things.

so yeah.. idiotic sick people will do idiotic sick stuff regardless

Quote Originally Posted by Teaon View Post
    knives, games, youtube, cars, bikes, pens, pencils, and lots lots of things.
    None of those things are services, and none of those things keep track of what you do with them and notify their creator on a level comparable to what facebook does.

Thousands of ppl die every day because they jump from 6th floor of the building, but we do not forbid 6th floors.
    Thousands of ppl die every day beacuse of cars and we do not forbid cars.

Just because there is a minority that is retarded, why do we have to forbid majority of ppl from using some services ?

You see no issue with this? Have you ever seen terrorist videos? Even those that compile their mistakes to make fun of them? By your suggestion you'd be charged for terrorism, if you didn't call up Iraqi/Syrian etc authorities to inform of the crimes happening in the video.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    at the expense of the people who get victimized. Yeah, that makes sense. facepalm.
    People will still be victimized, you simply will not be aware of it via explicit + accessible video content. The things these people are capable of doing is sign of mental disease, they must be locked away, and them streaming their crimes is a means to get a hold and put and end to them.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    You see no issue with this? Have you ever seen terrorist videos? Even those that compile their mistakes to make fun of them? By your suggestion you'd be charged for terrorism, if you didn't call up Iraqi/Syrian etc authorities to inform of the crimes happening in the video.
    No. I draw a very huge line between watching a live stream of a crime currently taking place, and a recording of a previously committed one.

No. I draw a very huge line between watching a live stream of a crime currently taking place, and a recording of a previously committed one.
    They also stream videos, mostly beheadings for shock value. So, again, should anyone who happens to see one, be charged for terrorism, if they don't call authorities wherever they're streaming from?

Just pointing out the massive problems with the proposal, which would end up jailing alot of people for not having done anything.
    Last edited by Azadina; 2017-04-26 at 10:38 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    They also stream videos, mostly beheadings for shock value. So, again, should anyone who happens to see one, be charged for terrorism, if they don't call authorities wherever they're streaming from?
    A) I never said call the authorities, I believe that Facebook live should have an adequate emergency report function for such things (they have one, but it sounds like it needs improvements) and there should be penalties for not using it. Facebook should be responsible for contacting relevant authorities. I also never said charged for terrorism, you can penalize a person for their actions without going insane and torturing them in Gitmo for goodness sakes.

B) What the heck are you doing where you are accidentally watching live streams of beheadings on a regular basis, and why /shouldn't/ you hit a report button if you happen to find yourself in that situation?

Edit: Many countries and some states have laws on their books already concerning failure to report a crime when it comes to serious ones like murder and rape. Some others lump it under 'aiding and abetting' or 'obstruction of justice'. It's not like this is a new concept, just most of the laws already existing were written with the idea of watching in person, since they way predate internet streaming.
    Last edited by Lynarii; 2017-04-26 at 10:51 AM.

A) I never said call the authorities, I believe that Facebook live should have an adequate emergency report function for such things (they have one, but it sounds like it needs improvements) and there should be penalties for not using it. Facebook should be responsible for contacting relevant authorities. I also never said charged for terrorism, you can penalize a person for their actions without going insane and torturing them in Gitmo for goodness sakes.

B) What the heck are you doing where you are accidentally watching live streams of beheadings on a regular basis, and why /shouldn't/ you hit a report button if you happen to find yourself in that situation?
    9/11. It was happening live on TV as one example. What was I supposed to do, call FBI? I wasn't even old enough to know what FBI is, and wasn't in a country anywhere near where FBI is either. Where was report button on the TV? I never found it, but according to you, me and the millions who also saw the same live feed = brought on charges right up.

No problem, you may try.

Let's make having kitchen knives illegal as well while we're at it. I mean, many are killed by kitchen knives!

Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    Let's make having kitchen knives illegal as well while we're at it. I mean, many are killed by kitchen knives!
    Id say. Lock every person in the world in jail, You know just in case, the one who commits the crime is human

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    9/11. It was happening live on TV as one example. What was I supposed to do, call FBI? I wasn't even old enough to know what FBI is, and wasn't in a country anywhere near where FBI is either. Where was report button on the TV? I never found it, but according to you, me and the millions who also saw the same live feed = brought on charges right up.

No problem, you may try.
    No, again you're bringing up a situation that has nothing to do with the one being discussed in order to try and claim that this unrelated thing is somehow proof of a problem. 9/11 was a breaking news report on TV being broadcast by professionals who were doing their job. It also was not broadcast with the intent of gaining a degree fame from a criminal act that the broadcasters were a party to. You also had no reasonable way of reporting said crime (and the authorities already knew at the same time you did).

How is it you can't tell the difference between that and logging onto a Facebook livestream in order to see someone be murdered? Where there is a reasonable expectation that the authorities do not know, and you do have reasonable options to alert them?

Like I mentioned in the edit of the previous post, there are already laws in many areas concerning failure to report some of the most serious crimes. None of them, not a single one, was ever used to attempt to charge a person for having seen the 9/11 broadcast, and any attempt to do so wouldn't even have gotten close enough to court to be thrown out of it. Because laws actually tend to be pretty specific in what they cover, most of them can't be stretched to fit scenarios that aren't what the law is about. A law concerning non-reporting of livestreams on the internet simply wouldn't apply to a TV broadcast because it'd be about internet livestreams and not TV broadcasts.

Until they figure out how to stop showing all the idiots looking for attention by killing people, raping people, beating up people with mental health issues, driving while drunk.......... Until they can do that, all that it does is encourage these idiots who want their 15 minutes.
    Facebook has 1,86 billion monthly users.

I have personally heard of 3 incidents (The black people torturing some disabled white guy, the crazy black guy killing people over his ex, the afghans raping a drunk girl)

Do you really think it is necessary to restrict 1.86 billion people because of the actions of maybe 1-2 dozen people?

You take things for granted every day. When you hand your mother a knife, you just assume she won't stab you with it the second your back turns. When you walk down a sidewalk, you just assume that car coming behind you won't swerve onto the sidewalk and kill you for a laugh.

If we stopped creating knives because some people chimp out on occasion, and we start banning vehicles because some people chimp out on occasion, then by the time we finish, we'll not be able to act, at all, in any way.

What facebook needs is 'closed groups' to be shut down, as well as more moderation. Twitch had a problem with cam girls hosting private shows, they closed that down and they all died over night.

No, again you're bringing up a situation that has nothing to do with the one being discussed in order to try and claim that this unrelated thing is somehow proof of a problem. 9/11 was a breaking news report on TV being broadcast by professionals who were doing their job. It also was not broadcast with the intent of gaining a degree fame from a criminal act that the broadcasters were a party to. You also had no reasonable way of reporting said crime (and the authorities already knew at the same time you did).

How is it you can't tell the difference between that and logging onto a Facebook livestream in order to see someone be murdered? Where there is a reasonable expectation that the authorities do not know, and you do have reasonable options to alert them?

Like I mentioned in the edit of the previous post, there are already laws in many areas concerning failure to report some of the most serious crimes. None of them, not a single one, was ever used to attempt to charge a person for having seen the 9/11 broadcast, and any attempt to do so wouldn't even have gotten close enough to court to be thrown out of it. Because laws actually tend to be pretty specific in what they cover, most of them can't be stretched to fit scenarios that aren't what the law is about. A law concerning non-reporting of livestreams on the internet simply wouldn't apply to a TV broadcast because it'd be about internet livestreams and not TV broadcasts.
    Situation that fits your parameters you gave me in your first response: Live stream of crime happening. That's exactly what 9/11 being live on TV was. It was terrorism on live feed. It was not video, which you ruled out, it was live feed.

Your last paragraph sums it up pretty well. That's what would happen to your idea aswell, if you tried to charge people for, let's be clear, not pressing a report button on facebook. That report button is not any sort of link to proper authorities, and not to mention, there's no guarantee of facebook looking into it in any timely manner, depending on the massive pile of useless reports they already have from people bickering on the site.

You can't quite seem to figure the consequences of what you're suggesting. Not to mention how much of a failure it is in legal sense. What, you thought that law would only be about facebook, and none else? Again, what could possibly go legally wrong with trying that? Fast forward to when you find out you can't just discriminate against single company with the law, but have to apply it equally to all streams, we're right back to prosecuting people who saw 9/11 on live feed on TV, or bury that idea as whole.
    Last edited by Azadina; 2017-04-26 at 11:24 AM.