Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Worth coming back?

Hey fellow MMO'ers!

Wasn't sure what thread to post this in. I have been away from WoW for about a year now, through my wife's pregnancy and birth, and have finally reached the point where I have time to play again!

But I come here today to ask you, is now a good time to resub to WoW? I was mostly into Mythic Raiding before Legion / Start of Legion.. Just wondering the state of the game and when new content will be released?

Love to see everyones opinion Thanks guys!
    Bulbasaur of Sargeras
    <Design> 13/13 Mythic HFC

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Now's a good time to come in. With Broken Shore you can get 850 gear and 880 for nethershards so it's easy to gear up once you hit max level, and flying has been added to Broken Isles so you can work towards that if you want. The new raid will be out in June or something.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulba View Post
    I have been away from WoW for about a year now
    This means you do not have a single 110 character yet. So be prepared to do a lot of "mandatory" work before you are able to enjoy the game to the fullest again.

Read up on how to get flight, including the Suramar quest chain. Getting that part done takes you through most of whatever else you need to do, Enjoy the fact that you will be researching Artifact Knowledge faster than 5 days per level, because you are a bit behind when you reach the Broken Shore reward of level 26 (you can buy your way to 25 if you have the resources for it), but accept that you will be a good bit behind for the next month or so after reaching 26.

Basically read up on guides on your favourite class(es), their order hall and generally what to do in Legion, then you can get mooooost of your questions answered pretty fast. And then you can avoid most of the "useless" stuff that doesn't really need doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    you said that you stopped for a year, and you know that content is always added, hence you know that there is already new content, why asking then when new content will be released ? : P

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, we can't really tell you if you'll enjoy the game. Give it a try for a month and see if you enjoy it

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes this is a great time! Catch up mechanics are pretty great to jump into raiding pretty quick if that's what your interested in. We got some time before the next raid so game is in a bit of a "lul" period so if you jumped in now you could get into a good raiding spot of tomb of sargeras when it's finally released.

Also the game is just in a fun spot right now!
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

Strange to see a mythic raider ask this question, but I'll answer it the same way no matter what. If you need to ask this question the answer is a resounding no.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulba View Post
    Hey fellow MMO'ers!

Wasn't sure what thread to post this in. I have been away from WoW for about a year now, through my wife's pregnancy and birth, and have finally reached the point where I have time to play again!

But I come here today to ask you, is now a good time to resub to WoW? I was mostly into Mythic Raiding before Legion / Start of Legion.. Just wondering the state of the game and when new content will be released?

Love to see everyones opinion Thanks guys!
    Shortly: Nope.

Longer: Legion Is a giant grind, with RNG that topples that of any previous expansion, legendaries drop like flies Diablo 3 style, you have to grind Artifact Power to be anywhere near as powerful as your friends for months and months and even then you'd already be 9 months behind. Mobs scale to ilevel outdoor effectively making your gear aquisition process pointless (Since alot of Legion Is outdoor) to which they broke their promise of not Implimenting such a feature In a 7.0 Interview.

LFR Is being gated per 2 weeks Instead of 1 now as a minor point but still relative, you have to do 80 % PvE content aka World Quests/Dungeons/LFRs to get good enough gear to be competative and strong enough In PvP and even then you'll be behind If you don't grind AP, starting to see a pattern? Lots of grinding and grinding, and when you think you're done, there's more grinding being added. The patches are bollocks, full of nothing but more grinding, 7.1's raid was copied enviroments and abilities from regular outdoor mobs made Into a mini raid.

Karazhan quickly became boring after you did It In a week although with a fun enough story arc but still not much else, they cut up the Suramar Storyline and put half of It Into 7.1 effectively making It launch content, Nighthold a supposedly launch day raid launches a week after 7.1.5, these mini patches we have now that claim to be content patches but should just be some random X.X.X.X unnamed whatever patch instead of X.X.X to make It look Important. 7.2 Is Broken Shore, with aforclaimed "Biggest patch of WoW yet - so say the devs" has bugger all content, and the little that It does Is spoon fed to you over the cource or 2-3 months. And the 3rd raid, Tomb of Sargeras supposedly launching with 7.2, will most likely launch with 7.2.5 around June.

You can do Mythic + or even boost yourself In It by paying for It and get better gear than any Mythic Raider can dream of getting with effort while you get yours by paying for It. World Quests take more time to travel to than actually complete, they're piss easy and Daily Hubs still make better sense, as you can do them within 30 minutes or less with an optimal path In mind and still have time for tea, and doing the daily hub on your alts while in legion you can barely do all the "Daily" stuff on one character.

The story Is lackluster at best, majority of Legion exists only for "Nostalgia" purposes apparently, not realizing most of your older fans who played from Vanilla left around before Cataclysm launched when the story stopped being relevant and Interesting, the lore has been changed and butchered so much, the Class Order Halls, while the only redeeming factor for me, still have a lackluster and sometimes bloody OP story depending who you play. With one of the classes (Not spoiling whose) stories basically making you a god.

The Artifact Weapons, while on the subject of OP... are OP. Some are objectively stronger than the rest and you shouldn't be even holding them, we're adventurers, we're not the next Tirion Fordring wielding Ashbringer, we have no personality, our characters are blank slates "Adventurers" and that won't make for Interesting story telling and progression, I'd rather Tirion be alive and take part In the Legion's storyline rather than "Hey, wielder of the 6436th Ashbringer, save us!"

Did I miss anything? And that's off the top of my head. Not trying to be cynical or anything, but that's the truth of the matter so far. 7.3 not looking that exciting, depiste It being "Aaaaargus" I see no way the game Improves until the next expansion comes around and makes serious changes.
    Permabanned on WoW since April 14th 2015, main acc I had since vanilla gone and trashed for no good reason, 6+ years later still banned with more appeals resulting in my BATTLENET games being suspended for a month eachtime I try making TICKETS because I'm asking for help with the perma ban. Blizzard has stopped caring for their first veteran players and would rather we leave, considering the Lawsuit, can you afford to keep peps banned even for so long under questionable circumstances?

Who knows? Nobody can tell you if you're gonna enjoy something as an individual. And you know that these kind of queries mainly attract frustrated whiners who need another opportunity to dump their load on someone else.

Personally no. I'm just not enjoying it at the moment. However I would advise you try it at least and form your own opinion.

Deleted
    Yes. The game may have its flaws, but is fun and enjoyable. At least I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    Who knows? Nobody can tell you if you're gonna enjoy something as an individual. And you know that these kind of queries mainly attract frustrated whiners who need another opportunity to dump their load on someone else.
    Pretty much this. Some people here just whine for the sake of whining. I mean as I said I'm not enjoying it at the moment but I would still recommend the OP give it a go and see if they enjoy it.

I won't bother with long winded edge lord arm chair developer nonsense as if i shit out ground breaking mmos every single week, single handedly.

as far as pve goes its fun, if you like pve then its worth playing. if your not jaded and can cope with some continuity problems (problems that have existed since the beginning) i've been enjoying it and i also didn't play during wod.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-05-01 at 02:41 PM.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yes its still a good time to come back, the last raid isnt even open and you got about 2-3 months ahead of you to get you settled.
    Its a long process in the beginning in legion, theres lots of stuff you must do etc.. but 2 or 3 months should be enough playing casually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't really tell you if it is worth or not, for it is all about how you feel in the end.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by TheVaryag View Post
    Shortly: Nope.

Longer: Legion Is a giant grind, with RNG that topples that of any previous expansion, legendaries drop like flies Diablo 3 style, you have to grind Artifact Power to be anywhere near as powerful as your friends for months and months and even then you'd already be 9 months behind. Mobs scale to ilevel outdoor effectively making your gear aquisition process pointless (Since alot of Legion Is outdoor) to which they broke their promise of not Implimenting such a feature In a 7.0 Interview.

LFR Is being gated per 2 weeks Instead of 1 now as a minor point but still relative, you have to do 80 % PvE content aka World Quests/Dungeons/LFRs to get good enough gear to be competative and strong enough In PvP and even then you'll be behind If you don't grind AP, starting to see a pattern? Lots of grinding and grinding, and when you think you're done, there's more grinding being added. The patches are bollocks, full of nothing but more grinding, 7.1's raid was copied enviroments and abilities from regular outdoor mobs made Into a mini raid.

Karazhan quickly became boring after you did It In a week although with a fun enough story arc but still not much else, they cut up the Suramar Storyline and put half of It Into 7.1 effectively making It launch content, Nighthold a supposedly launch day raid launches a week after 7.1.5, these mini patches we have now that claim to be content patches but should just be some random X.X.X.X unnamed whatever patch instead of X.X.X to make It look Important. 7.2 Is Broken Shore, with aforclaimed "Biggest patch of WoW yet - so say the devs" has bugger all content, and the little that It does Is spoon fed to you over the cource or 2-3 months. And the 3rd raid, Tomb of Sargeras supposedly launching with 7.2, will most likely launch with 7.2.5 around June.

You can do Mythic + or even boost yourself In It by paying for It and get better gear than any Mythic Raider can dream of getting with effort while you get yours by paying for It. World Quests take more time to travel to than actually complete, they're piss easy and Daily Hubs still make better sense, as you can do them within 30 minutes or less with an optimal path In mind and still have time for tea, and doing the daily hub on your alts while in legion you can barely do all the "Daily" stuff on one character.

The story Is lackluster at best, majority of Legion exists only for "Nostalgia" purposes apparently, not realizing most of your older fans who played from Vanilla left around before Cataclysm launched when the story stopped being relevant and Interesting, the lore has been changed and butchered so much, the Class Order Halls, while the only redeeming factor for me, still have a lackluster and sometimes bloody OP story depending who you play. With one of the classes (Not spoiling whose) stories basically making you a god.

The Artifact Weapons, while on the subject of OP... are OP. Some are objectively stronger than the rest and you shouldn't be even holding them, we're adventurers, we're not the next Tirion Fordring wielding Ashbringer, we have no personality, our characters are blank slates "Adventurers" and that won't make for Interesting story telling and progression, I'd rather Tirion be alive and take part In the Legion's storyline rather than "Hey, wielder of the 6436th Ashbringer, save us!"

Did I miss anything? And that's off the top of my head. Not trying to be cynical or anything, but that's the truth of the matter so far. 7.3 not looking that exciting, depiste It being "Aaaaargus" I see no way the game Improves until the next expansion comes around and makes serious changes.
    MMO champion incarnate, a cynical opinion with very little merit considering if you truly felt that way you would have moved on from WoW by now.

@Bulba game's great atm. Good time to roll an alt or catch up your main. Easy to farm AP and lots of free gear from the broken shore. Once you grind out flying the game is pretty relaxed. Lots of guilds recruiting for ToS so if you're gonna get back into raiding now's the time to get farmed up.

I'd say it's worth coming back. I returned to the game about two weeks ago. It's not bad - the catch-up mechanisms are wonderful, and it's still lots of fun. I'm enjoying it more now than ever before (thank you break!)

The new raid drops in mid-to-late June, with 7.2.5, which also brings more micro holidays and some class changes. We're sort of in a "build" stage in Azeroth right now. Come back, contribute to the construction of the buildings on the Broken Shore and cut down the Legion's rise!

7+ Year Old Account
    It is most definitely worth coming back. In fact, you should come back with multiple accounts.

Full Disclosure: I'm an Activision Blizzard stock holder.

10+ Year Old Account
    Legion is awesome. Do it.

The £/€/$10-13 (or whatever the subscription was) will answer your question infinite times better than any number of replies on this forum.