Will streaming services stop offering "IRL" streams due to murders and suicides?

Facebook just had another person get murdered on stream, in Canada this time. On one hand, it's probably making the cops' jobs easier when you upload a video of your crime to the internet. On the other hand, it seems like the only times I hear about facebook streaming are when someone either commits suicide or murder. It gives people an easy shortcut to notoriety, and some people will take that. Even if the only way they can get there is by doing something pretty awful.

At some point the argument will be made that video streaming services like facebook or twitch IRL incentivize people to either kill themselves or others. Whether or not you agree with that statement I don't think facebook will see it as worth the risk and will pull the service. If the service lasts long enough we're eventually going to see school shootings streamed on facebook live and it is going to be immensely controversial. Facebook is probably the only one that matters in this instance, since it's so ubiquitous and there's no requirements to sign up.

On one hand, these people may have committed these crimes anyway and now there's video evidence of it. On the other hand, it could make psychos do more to get on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by syllabic View Post
    Facebook just had another person get murdered on stream, in Canada this time. On one hand, it's probably making the cops' jobs easier when you upload a video of your crime to the internet. On the other hand, it seems like the only times I hear about facebook streaming are when someone either commits suicide or murder. It gives people an easy shortcut to notoriety, and some people will take that. Even if the only way they can get there is by doing something pretty awful.

At some point the argument will be made that video streaming services like facebook or twitch IRL incentivize people to either kill themselves or others. Whether or not you agree with that statement I don't think facebook will see it as worth the risk and will pull the service. If the service lasts long enough we're eventually going to see school shootings streamed on facebook live and it is going to be immensely controversial. Facebook is probably the only one that matters in this instance, since it's so ubiquitous and there's no requirements to sign up.
    I don't see how it has to be a live streaming service to achieve notoriety. You can get the same effect by recording your actions and uploading it to the internet... For suicides, notoriety does nothing for you anyways. The news is going to treat it the same way, and it's always the VOD that gets the attention as very few people witness the live stream. Live streaming isn't the issue. What you are purposing is removing live streaming and screening every video before it is uploaded to these platforms. That isn't going to happen anytime soon IMO.

Edit - If the liability is placed on the platforms for what a user uploads, you can bet that these companies will stop hosting ALL user created content. You could argue that these platforms need to be more committed to responding to user submitted flags or reports on criminal content. The system in place now works fine IMO, as long as they contact the authorities and remove the offending material as soon as they are made aware.

To answer your question, advanced heuristics will need to be (and are being) developed to screen content and block the stuff that violates the TOS. In the mean time everyone needs to deal with the whackos if you want to be able to watch streaming content.
    Last edited by dcschess05; 2017-04-28 at 01:54 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Will streaming services stop offering "IRL" streams due to murders and suicides?
    No
    {10char}

Keyboard Turner
    5+ Year Old Account

Post For our safety

There are a number of tracking software in the markets. These softwares are used by hackers and governments to track general public. i prefer to usa IVACY-VPN to hide your identity. other wise you will be busted by the polic or by the hackers.

7+ Year Old Account
    I just see it as a darwin award. If all criminals would upload video footage of their crimes to the internet trials would go much faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    No for the 1000th time this question has been asked..

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah

if there is money to be made, there is money to be made.

Think about how many times the services are used to not kill other people or oneself. Now you know the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    On one hand, these people may have committed these crimes anyway and now there's video evidence of it. On the other hand, it could make psychos do more to get on tv.
    Yeah but 99.999% of livestream murderers would've and likely have already murdered even if livestreaming was completely removed. It's a sad, but it happens and has happened for millennia, way before livestreaming. That's just life unfortunately.

At least these livestreaming murderers are making it way easier for law enforcement to get justice for the victim and his/her family.
    Last edited by SupBrah; 2017-05-10 at 04:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. I"ll link to my previous thread about it. Facebook/twitch/whatever is not responsible for these nutjob's actions. It can't be helped. It needs to be taken down as fast as possible. And it these killers should be given as little attention as possible to give these people who think about doing this as little incentive as possible to do it as well.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Responsibility

Why would people be against people incriminating themselves? If only Travon Martin had been live streaming...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Why would people be against people incriminating themselves? If only Travon Martin had been live streaming...
    Good god if only zimmerman had been streaming. The narrative would have been completely different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Good god if only zimmerman had been streaming. The narrative would have been completely different.
    Yeah we'd see how Zimmerman picked a fight with a teenager he was stalking and killed him when he was losing the fight he started.