Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Nintendo Switch] Mario Kart 8

Just bought Mario Kart 8 as it just now released, anyone else have it yet? I'm having a couple of issues with it.

First off, there are no options. No options whatsoever.

We are using two joy-cons to play 2-player, and while you can use the stick to turn, the motion controls are enabled. I could not find a way to disable the motion controls, so I find myself listing to one side while playing. And then, I realized that if I just held the forward button, I would never hit anything. The game seems to have an autopilot. I'll be aiming for something, and then my kart will turn on it's own to follow the path, like some sort of helper mode. It's quite annoying.

When you pause during a race, at the top of the screen there appears to be a controller button layout, but none if the buttons do what the pictures seem to suggest. It shows that right bumper is forward, but it's actually slide. It says left button is the accelerometer?

Anyone know any way to fix these issues?
    Last edited by Taurous; 2017-04-28 at 06:18 AM.

I haven't gotten into the game myself, but you should be able to make these changes from the pause menu while racing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    I haven't gotten into the game myself, but you should be able to make these changes from the pause menu while racing.
    The only options I saw were continue or exit.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurous View Post
    The only options I saw were continue or exit.
    While in a race, push + and the options to turn everything off is there. I did it in my first match.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Is there a way too switch between items when you have 2?
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Don't think so, If there is a way I haven't learned it yet.

Love the game, going to play some MP later. Spent like 2 hours playing battle mode with the GF/Bots early'er today.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

the steering assist is too strong/good it's literally auto-win. my 8 year old son used to struggle on MK8 on 200cc, now in 2.5 hours he has won every 200cc cup and unlocked golden mario, anyone can win with steering assist, it literally makes your cart do an instant 90 degree turn to keep on track or it turns you 90 degrees in the air to stop you crashing, you can drive like a moron and you'll never go off track.

sure it's an option but it should be a helper not literally win the race for you by turning any possible driver errors off, good luck crashing with this enabled.

edit: also if you go near a shortcut you'll either be forced away from it, or flawlessly take the shortcut no matter how bad your entry angle was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't be silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    the steering assist is too strong/good it's literally auto-win. my 8 year old son used to struggle on MK8 on 200cc, now in 2.5 hours he has won every 200cc cup and unlocked golden mario, anyone can win with steering assist, it literally makes your cart do an instant 90 degree turn to keep on track or it turns you 90 degrees in the air to stop you crashing, you can drive like a moron and you'll never go off track.

sure it's an option but it should be a helper not literally win the race for you by turning any possible driver errors off, good luck crashing with this enabled.

edit: also if you go near a shortcut you'll either be forced away from it, or flawlessly take the shortcut no matter how bad your entry angle was.
    And the bolded is why such settings is in the game.

They are there for those who are not good at it and yet wait to enjoy the game. Don't like the setting turn it off and it can be disabled in MP match's.

Edit: Also I will say its not a Auto-Win for PVP, Hell I'm watching a stream right now where one of the players has it on and they are in last place.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-04-28 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    And the bolded is why such settings is in the game.

They are there for those who are not good at it and yet wait to enjoy the game. Don't like the setting turn it off and it can be disabled in MP match's.

Edit: Also I will say its not a Auto-Win for PVP, Hell I'm watching a stream right now where one of the players has it on and they are in last place.
    yeh but he could still win cups, it's just not easy, then the "assist" basically hands you every win? pretty silly guess i just grew up as an 8 year old playing mario kart, the very first one, trying over and over and over again to win special cup on 150cc and guess what the 8 year old me succeeded it took days, now it's 2017 you have the option to just have victory given to you lol.

- would you like to win this race yes/no? turn on steering assist to win.

it should be more like formula 1 back in like 1998 for the ps1, where it would encourage you or push you slightly to take the racing line, this helped improve your driving and you would learn how to drive around the track you could still crash constantly, MK8D assist just forcefully almost teleport's your car into going the correct way and never making mistakes.
    Last edited by Socialhealer; 2017-04-28 at 10:50 PM.

just to let you all know if you hit the plus or minus when making your kart to see it's stats you can toggle the motion controls and auto pilot from there

- - - Updated - - -

so MK8D utilizes the HD rumble and it's interesting feeling all the different vibrations for everything

- - - Updated - - -

omfg they fixed the clipping issues

on the wii u version things like Rosalinas dress would clip through karts and now it doesn't horray!

- - - Updated - - -

baby park with double items

It's double dash chaos all the fuck over again

- - - Updated - - -

ok so im pissed

You know the signs that are on the sides of the tracks? One of them says "The women of racing" having Peach, Daisy and.... BIRDO on the billboard

OK SO WHERE THE FUCK IS BIRDO NINTENDO? INSTEAD YOU GIVE US LINK AND 5 MARIO CLONES FUCK OFF

yeh but he could still win cups, it's just not easy, then the "assist" basically hands you every win? pretty silly guess i just grew up as an 8 year old playing mario kart, the very first one, trying over and over and over again to win special cup on 150cc and guess what the 8 year old me succeeded it took days, now it's 2017 you have the option to just have victory given to you lol.

- would you like to win this race yes/no? turn on steering assist to win.

it should be more like formula 1 back in like 1998 for the ps1, where it would encourage you or push you slightly to take the racing line, this helped improve your driving and you would learn how to drive around the track you could still crash constantly, MK8D assist just forcefully almost teleport's your car into going the correct way and never making mistakes.
    Or keep it as it is.

Toggle it on if u want it and toggle it off if u don't. There is no loss for having said option for people who wish to use it.

- - - Updated - - -

ok so im pissed

You know the signs that are on the sides of the tracks? One of them says "The women of racing" having Peach, Daisy and.... BIRDO on the billboard

OK SO WHERE THE FUCK IS BIRDO NINTENDO? INSTEAD YOU GIVE US LINK AND 5 MARIO CLONES FUCK OFF
    .................Really..............

Not sure if they updated the auto steering since I played the demo switch back in feb, but it was pretty far from optimal or giving you an auto win button. It just kept you on the track, since I actually put a shit load of hours into MK8 I could instantly see the auto steering was taking sub optimal routes the majority of the time.

I also don't give a rats ass if it's helping people beat the cpu if that's what you're claiming. As long as it's not taking perfect optimal routes in multiplayer and instead just assisting newbies that's fine. It's not fun to play against a new player who is going to spend their entire time off the track, I basically couldn't play MK8 with company because it was like beating an 8 year old at basketball.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-04-29 at 03:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Not sure if they updated the auto steering since I played the demo switch back in feb, but it was pretty far from optimal or giving you an auto win button. It just kept you on the track, since I actually put a shit load of hours into MK8 I could instantly see the auto steering was taking sub optimal routes the majority of the time.

I also don't give a rats ass if it's helping people beat the cpu if that's what you're claiming. As long as it's not taking perfect optimal routes in multiplayer and instead just assisting newbies that's fine. It's not fun to play against a new player who is going to spend their entire time off the track, I basically couldn't play MK8 with company because it was like beating an 8 year old at basketball.
    no basically the challenge of 200cc is actually having to break and slow down for tight corners, with steering assist just attempt to turn it won't let you crash you'll make the corner no problem just smash that accelerate and you'l be fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Or keep it as it is.

Toggle it on if u want it and toggle it off if u don't. There is no loss for having said option for people who wish to use it.
    then wheres my auto aim/auto block assist? you know when i cant be assed to block incoming shells with bananas/other shells or i can't be bothered to line up green shells why doesn't the game do that for me? if i can't be bothered to turn a corner i can't be bothered to make correct usage of items either.

no basically the challenge of 200cc is actually having to break and slow down for tight corners, with steering assist just attempt to turn it won't let you crash you'll make the corner no problem just smash that accelerate and you'l be fine.
    You mean the challenge of 200CC for you is that. Everyone plays this game for different reasons and I'm sure many avoid 200cc because of that "Challenge".

This setting allows people to experience the full game at there own pace. It effects no one and can be disabled in MP, Also a good player in MP will beat someone using said settings.

- - - Updated - - -

then wheres my auto aim/auto block assist? you know when i cant be assed to block incoming shells with bananas/other shells or i can't be bothered to line up green shells why doesn't the game do that for me? if i can't be bothered to turn a corner i can't be bothered to make correct usage of items either.
    They are in the upcoming $5 DLC.....

Your pissy about a setting that doesn't effect you, My advise is to get over it. Also this is not the first game Nintendo has provided stuff like this. They did it in Mario Land and in Star Fox as well.

I rather someone turn a setting on and enjoy the game over not enjoying it at all.

You mean the challenge of 200CC for you is that. Everyone plays this game for different reasons and I'm sure many avoid 200cc because of that "Challenge".

This setting allows people to experience the full game at there own pace. It effects no one and can be disabled in MP, Also a good player in MP will beat someone using said settings.

- - - Updated - - -

They are in the upcoming $5 DLC.....

Your pissy about a setting that doesn't effect you, My advise is to get over it. Also this is not the first game Nintendo has provided stuff like this. They did it in Mario Land and in Star Fox as well.

I rather someone turn a setting on and enjoy the game over not enjoying it at all.
    if you don't enjoy mario kart without steering assist you're a retard, you shouldn't of bought the game, you should improve at the game, you should play the game yourself instead of letting the game play itself the list goes on.

and it does affect me i was going to help my son unlock golden mario taking time to beat the challenge of 200cc, but steering assist allowed him to faceroll it in 2.5 hours. now i simply won't play it, sure i COULD go and do it again without assist but why? it's already unlocked not worth effort.

on MK8 on the wii i helped him unlock the golden kart via beating all the time trials, he got better at the game and was able to go around a friends house and beat the time trials and unlock the golden kart for them, now if you use the steering assist you never improve, but thats just how you play your games i know that from your wow comments, you'll turn on every assist every help every cheat take the easiest possible mode, and thats fine you're the player all the good guys love to farm we need easy targets like you, gold from boosting etc.

if you don't enjoy mario kart without steering assist you're a retard, you shouldn't of bought the game, you should improve at the game, you should play the game yourself instead of letting the game play itself the list goes on.

and it does affect me i was going to help my son unlock golden mario taking time to beat the challenge of 200cc, but steering assist allowed him to faceroll it in 2.5 hours. now i simply won't play it, sure i COULD go and do it again without assist but why? it's already unlocked not worth effort.
    Then spank your son and ground him. Show him how wrong it was for him to play the game in a way he enjoys and not in the way you enjoy.

you'll turn on every assist every help every cheat take the easiest possible mode, and thats fine you're the player all the good guys love to farm we need easy targets like you.
    I love the childish attack. But just for giggles.

Please do tell me where the aim assist is in Bloodborne because that game was a (Fun) pain in the ass to platinum.

No it doesn't effect you, you just want to whine about people enjoying a game they bought. This isn't someone cheating at the SAT's, Its a fucken video game they are enjoying in there way.

You are crying and acting like a child because they didn't play your way.

Finished 150cc *** (which gives you gold 3 stars for 100 and 50) now I got to do mirror than 200cc and then all the time trials

The only issue I could see with Steering Assist is that it sounds like it's on by default? That's silly if so, it should be off by default.

[QUOTE=zito;45535970]
    [COLOR="#417394"][SIZE=1]

Where the hell IS Birdo anyway? Was there a stated reason why Birdo was looked over for MK8? At least King Boo is back! Hell MK8 is going to turn into Smash if they move it to "Nintendo Kart" with the next iteration, and people start demanding their favorites. I personally don't care for the non-Mario universe characters.