Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Getting into the IT field...

So, say I want to get into the IT field, but I don't really have any experience with it, other than building my own PCs and being knowledgeable about the hardware.... what do I do? Do I need to go to MIT or ITT tech? Pls halp D:

10+ Year Old Account
    Go to school for it and teach it to yourself. Helps if you have a friend who's knowledgeable in the field as you can always go to someone with any questions.

I hate to put it this way but if you need help in regards of how to "get into something" then it usually means your own ability to want to get into it is lacking somewhere.
    Hey everyone

Here's a good start.

http://www.conigliaro.org/articles/g...ology-is-easy/
    Get a Networking for dummies book. I'm not kidding its a good start.

Then put a router behind your cable modem.... learn how to get into the router and play around with things. If you break it figure out how to fix it. Find some family members like grandparents, parents, aunt, uncle and fix their things. Find something like Spiceworks or other IT forums and read and talk about IT topics.
    Learn that printers are devil spawn and only good for hitting with a sledgehammer....

Depends on what you want to do. If you are planning any sort of engineering job, you need a BS degree. Technician / System - Network Administrator / IT workers in a non-IT related company etc., these positions may not require a degree but a lot of self-learning. If you are a curious type and do a lot of research for fun, it will be a huge plus for learning period. Programming skills are always appreciated outside of a programming job.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyanide View Post
    So, say I want to get into the IT field, but I don't really have any experience with it, other than building my own PCs and being knowledgeable about the hardware.... what do I do? Do I need to go to MIT or ITT tech? Pls halp D:
    ITT tech is a rip off and you can get a better education with a 2 year degree/certifications for a lot less money. Asking if you need to go to MIT or ITT tech is like asking if you should drink a fine wine or dirty toilet water that hasn't been flushed in a year.

If you want your basic IT job, an associates degree is just fine. Chances are if your asking this question you probably wouldn't get into MIT anyway.

ITT Tech seems pretty good. That guy seems happy to grill bbq for his two kids and call himself a manager at an engineering company.

Jk school name takes you far. Certifications also mean something. Knowledge you can get off the internet is also good. So is having a portfolio/resume booster.

You're not really being specific enough about what in IT you want to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a degree in IT but I make more as a manager in Hospital Security

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyanide View Post
    What do you want to do?

General IT Support? Desktop support, Consulting, Forensics, Server Support, Sales?

What segment of the IT field interests you?

I run an IT business. It is still important to get certified (eg. with Microsoft).

An IT degree does not necessarily teach you the latest tech - certification exams do.

Until you have built a reputation in your community, there is no way to judge experience when you don't know an applicant for a job, so when I go through CV's, I don't bother looking at the guys who don't have certification unless of course I need a low-paid gopher.

ps. also, hardware knowledge is less and less relevant - depending on "what" you are hoping to achieve long term

Some of the better paid jobs rely less on hardware, but rather on the understanding of the software.
    For example, a Dell or HP server comes pre-assembled based on what you ask the salesperson for.

Obviously, it is important to be familiar with technology available, but unless you want to be a system builder, less and less so.

- assembling PC's is easy to learn. My cleaning lady can put together a PC after an hour of training. PC assemblers are the "McDonald workers" of the IT world.

You also get certified with different manufacturers' equipment too - not a necessity if you're supporting a clone market.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2015-03-14 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    What do you want to do?

General IT Support? Desktop support, Consulting, Forensics, Server Support, Sales?

What segment of the IT field interests you?

I run an IT business. It is still important to get certified (eg. with Microsoft).

Until you have built a reputation in your community, there is no way to judge experience when you don't know an applicant for a job, so when I go through CV's, I don't bother looking at the guys who don't have certification unless of course I need a low-paid gopher.

ps. also, hardware knowledge is less and less relevant - depending on "what" you are hoping to achieve long term

Some of the better paid jobs rely less on hardware, but rather on the understanding of the software.

- assembling PC's is easy to learn. My cleaning lady can put together a PC after an hour of training.
    This.

What exactly do you want to do. IT is broad term that reaches from untrained employee hooking up cables to university degrees.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You grow a neckcbeard and submit your resume,

How hard can it be?

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Technology Support is an easy entry to technology. You get a good feel of what you're dealing with at least. If you're wanting a real technology job/career - You need a lot of certs, degrees, and experience.

Deleted
    I heard comcast is recruiting.

How do you feel about fisting people?

Are you in the US? Are you where there are a lot of jobs?

If you're like 18 move to San Jose California. There are 5 jobs for every applicant there, but those are for programmers mostly. But there are lots of IT jobs of all kinds.

Live in a box if you have to. Get a membership at a 24 hour gym so you can have a locker and place to shower, also exercise.

You'll need a smart phone so people can call you for interviews. Take any job tech related no matter how poor the pay. Do whatever they want and keep your boss happy. Immediately apply for better jobs. This is what you'll do for the next ten years. Don't complain. Practice enough office politics to make your life easy, be kind to others.

You'll make 6 figures in ten years time.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Lol, I had no intentions of even trying to get into MIT, I was simply asking if it was necessary to get anywhere in the IT field. As for exactly where, I don't think engineering is in my foreseeable future, was looking more at technician/networking, things like that. I know most people see something like this as a passing phase or w/e, but I've been going through a lot of shit for the past couple years, and I figured it's finally time I do something with my life
    Last edited by Xyanide; 2015-03-14 at 08:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lakeland, FL or the Temple of Atal Hakkar
    There is a lot of good advice already said here, but since this is the field I work in I thought I would chime in too. The way I got my foot through the door was just to get the entry level certs. If you have some aptitude you can pick up books on amazon and study yourself. That was how I started working hardware support for a large theme park.
    Proud Troll player.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Here's a good start.

http://www.conigliaro.org/articles/g...ology-is-easy/
    Get a Networking for dummies book. I'm not kidding its a good start.

Then put a router behind your cable modem.... learn how to get into the router and play around with things. If you break it figure out how to fix it. Find some family members like grandparents, parents, aunt, uncle and fix their things. Find something like Spiceworks or other IT forums and read and talk about IT topics.
    Learn that printers are devil spawn and only good for hitting with a sledgehammer....
    This is assuming you want/have to get into Networking. I personally loathe it with a passion and want to get as far away from it as possible.

OT: See if you have any training places around. I was fortunate enough to have a small area "campus" (as they called it, but it was just one small wing in a building) where they teach you specific cert fields and then give you vouchers for the tests. You could also go to college for it as well, as I believe certain college diplomas will include your certifications for the basics like A+/Net+.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    I heard comcast is recruiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    How do you feel about fisting people?

If I ever worked for such a soul-sucking company, it'd be to expose the truth on those money-grubbing bastards. I have some level of standards and couldn't live with myself if it was just a paycheck from them.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Whoa, ITT Tech to MIT. You're bouncing from 0 to 60 on a dime, MIT is one of the hardest schools to get into in the world. Think Harvard level acceptance rates.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Whoa, ITT Tech to MIT. You're bouncing from 0 to 60 on a dime, MIT is one of the hardest schools to get into in the world. Think Harvard level acceptance rates.
    Don't need to get in to access their free online lecture videos and course materials.

Which, *hint hint OP* I said to do when I said knowledge on the internet is huge.

Don't get in to IT. It's a silly place.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Don't need to get in to access their free online lecture videos and course materials.

Which, *hint hint OP* I said to do when I said knowledge on the internet is huge.
    Sorry, you're not going to land a respectable job in IT outside of basic helpdesk jobs without a degree. Regardless, your statement is irrelevant to me pointing out the differences between a run of the mill tech school and MIT.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics