10+ Year Old Account
    More castings have been announced since the last post

https://dragonmount.com/tv/s1/cast/

Clare Perkins as Kerene Nagashi
    Peter Franzen Unspecified role
    Kate Fleetwood as Liandrin
    Maria Doyle Kennedy Unspecified role
    Jennifer Cheon Garcia as Leane Sharif

And some more. Can't say I really know much of the cast that have been confirmed so far. And the only actor I know that I've seen consistently was Daniel Henney in Hawii Five-O. I was hoping that they'd get a bigger cast for Liandrin, since she's probably one of the more pivotal secondary characters on the bad guy side of the story. But I can't say I've seen much of Kate Fleetwood's work to say whether she will make a good villain.

Kerene Nagashi?
    A dead character...wtf

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm torn. The cast looks awful, and the show is probably going to suck...

But I love Maria Doyle Kennedy.

Fuck it, I'll just rewatch Orphan Black.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Kerene Nagashi?
    A dead character...wtf
    "She had been Aes Sedai for well over one hundred years when she was hand-picked to become one of Tamra Ospenya's Searchers to find the Dragon Reborn after Tamra heard Gitara Moroso's Foretelling."

I believe the story will start in the White Tower, so it makes a certain amount of sense that we'll see some characters who didn't live to see the beginning of EotW.

To me what I'm aware of makes the show look pretty good. Would rather have a showrunner who gets and likes the books than a shiny cast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I'm torn. The cast looks awful, and the show is probably going to suck...

But I love Maria Doyle Kennedy.

Fuck it, I'll just rewatch Orphan Black.
    This but Rosamund Pike. She's easily the best actor they have attached to this thing IMO.

My faith isn't high but I hope they do a good Shadar Logoth at least... assuming they include it at all.

Also Liandrin was a low key favourite of mine so her being cast at all is interesting to me. I really didn't expect them to go into Black Ajah and White Tower politics as early as S1.

I admit Rosamund Pike wasn't a bad choice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Corroc View Post
    So Peter Frazen is mostly known for playing King Harald in Vikings (atleast for those who are not finnish). My guess is that he will be playing Lan Mandragoran. It would definitely suit the scouting for that role.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Exactly. It's so un-necessary, because the world already has set up a full multiude and range of diverse cultures and ethnicities in the various people groups you meet and the characters associated with them, you really don't need to "force it through.
    I totally agree with you here. But in today's PC culture...being book accurate might even be seen as worse, because it borrows from plenty of different cultural tropes. Like the Seanchan essentially being a modified Imperial Japan (which makes the current casting for Lan kinda awkward).

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    "She had been Aes Sedai for well over one hundred years when she was hand-picked to become one of Tamra Ospenya's Searchers to find the Dragon Reborn after Tamra heard Gitara Moroso's Foretelling."

I believe the story will start in the White Tower, so it makes a certain amount of sense that we'll see some characters who didn't live to see the beginning of EotW.

To me what I'm aware of makes the show look pretty good. Would rather have a showrunner who gets and likes the books than a shiny cast.
    Yeah would be great to have that instead of one talking about how problematic relationships are in the book and who identifies as red ajah.

Edit: Also that Lanfear casting is horrific. The first role we see her in is supposed to look gorgeous and as young as rand think Liv Tyler lord of the rings having an almost ethereal beauty.
    Last edited by Xath; 2020-02-07 at 03:53 AM.

- - - Updated - - -

No.

And that's why I deleted my post.

And that's why I deleted my post.
    *nods*

Caught that...and figured just that.

*nods*

Caught that...and figured just that.
    But according to an interview in finnish magazine, he is playing a warder that, I assume dies, since his role is temporary and only couple episodes. Some people have guessed that it could be Alric. He said that there will be some drama scenes and atleast one huge fighting scene.

But according to an interview in finnish magazine, he is playing a warder that, I assume dies, since his role is temporary and only couple episodes. Some people have guessed that it could be Alric. He said that there will be some drama scenes and atleast one huge fighting scene.
    O hell no!

Lan is one of the baddest mofos in the entire series.
    He's in most of the books...and one of the biggest moments in that last book was his duel and it was nothing less than awe-inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Yeah would be great to have that instead of one talking about how problematic relationships are in the book and who identifies as red ajah.

Edit: Also that Lanfear casting is horrific. The first role we see her in is supposed to look gorgeous and as young as rand think Liv Tyler lord of the rings having an almost ethereal beauty.
    What? Someone whining about the social commentary of a show they haven't even watched? On this forum? Shocking.

Who was cast as Lanfear? Not seeing it.

O hell no!

Lan is one of the baddest mofos in the entire series.
    He's in most of the books...and one of the biggest moments in that last book was his duel and it was nothing less than awe-inspiring.
    Yeah I wasn't thinking that he plays Lan because of that interview. Considering the role he played in Vikings I simply thought he could play Lan since Lan had blue eyes in the books.

What? Someone whining about the social commentary of a show they haven't even watched? On this forum? Shocking.

Who was cast as Lanfear? Not seeing it.
    It's almost like I'm talking about Rafe's tweets. Lanfear's casting was Kate Fleetwood not exactly a fit for the first role she appears as.

That actor is going to need some serious fencing training. We have to be impressed.
    Last edited by Shadowferal; 2020-02-07 at 04:48 AM.

- - - Updated - - -

No.

Ugh, another horrible miscasting. I can't believe they'd pick that actor to play Lan. That's not at all how Lan is portrayed in the books. Another example of corporate agendas influencing casting decisions.

Lan was NOT wearing a wristwatch.

So angry.

It's almost like I'm talking about Rafe's tweets. Lanfear's casting was Kate Fleetwood not exactly a fit for the first role she appears as.
    She was cast as Liandrin I think, not Lanfear.

Also look the book has some stuff that some people think hasn't aged well. Obviously a showrunner will have to talk about it, and their opinions may vary from yours. This is life. Fixating on such a small aspect of the story or being sure that it will ruin a show before you've seen it or how they'll handle it is asinine. He's talked about plenty of other things, and comes off as a fan of the series.
    Last edited by Zaktar; 2020-02-07 at 05:59 AM.

She was cast as Liandrin I think, not Lanfear.

Also look the book has some stuff that some people think hasn't aged well. Obviously a showrunner will have to talk about it, and their opinions may vary from yours. This is life. Fixating on such a small aspect of the story or being sure that it will ruin a show before you've seen it or how they'll handle it is asinine. He's talked about plenty of other things, and comes off as a fan of the series.
    The book has aged fine also read as Lanfear my bad why the hell is Liandrin being cast in the first season and that's a cast I still disagree with. She is supposed to look super young and not yet have the ageless look. Going through The Great Hunt again on audio tape while I do other stuff so was kind of thinking about Lanfear.

My issue is with the show runner thinking the red ajah are good when they are clearly not presented as such and his comments about rand's harem being problematic. He doesn't seem like someone who loves the books for what they are and they deserve better than that.

The book has aged fine also read as Lanfear my bad why the hell is Liandrin being cast in the first season and that's a cast I still disagree with. She is supposed to look super young and not yet have the ageless look. Going through The Great Hunt again on audio tape while I do other stuff so was kind of thinking about Lanfear.

My issue is with the show runner thinking the red ajah are good when they are clearly not presented as such and his comments about rand's harem being problematic. He doesn't seem like someone who loves the books for what they are and they deserve better than that.
    Believe agelessness kicks in in the 20s, Liandrin is meant to be in her 30s so she would probably have the look, unless I'm misremembering (at book 11 in my reread so it's been a while since Liandrin was in play, just looked up her age), and to be honest casting Aes Sedai is going to be challenging because almost no one actually looks like what they're described as. She's being cast in the first season because they're starting the show a little bit before where the books begin, I believe incorporating more White Tower politics into the first season than there would be. Not sure how to take that either, but it's an understandable change. The beginning of EotW is widely considered to be weak (always liked it myself, but that's me), and a show really needs to engage audiences right off the bat. Starting where they are gets to the meat of the concept a little sooner so I get it. Will see how it plays out, if it's awful, I'll be right there with you. I'm a little on the side of "good change" because I always really enjoyed the politics of the series, and that doesn't get off the ground until fairly deep in the books.

I thought he'd talked about taking more of a polyamorous approach to the harem, which as tweaks go is pretty insignificant. Personally I don't care who is in a relationship with who in the show. If it's deeply important to you, fair enough.

As to the Red Ajah, to me it's pretty reasonable to sympathize with them. Male channelers were a scourge, and someone had to deal with them; in a world of magic users I would be grateful that they existed. Dealing with them sympathetically isn't impossible and is in the spirit of the story - we meet plenty of admirable Red Ajah along the way, characters like Teslyn or Pevara. Just because the showrunner likes them doesn't mean people in the story will, I'd be surprised if that element substantially changes.

Of course all of this is subject to reality, who knows what it will actually be.