Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    If its on a paid channel HBO/Showtime/Starz, hell even netflix or cinemax, it could be worth it. If it is on cable television though it will not be worth anyone's time.

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftExE View Post
    Yeah I'm surprised at that statement too. Crossroads of Twilight (book 10) is considered by many to be the worst book in the series. I don't know if I'd consider it the worst, but Jordan's later books were just less appealing to me than the early/middle ones. I thought Sanderson did a great job, though I do have a bias since I like his other works,
    Well when the series was originally planned to be 6 books and you expand it to 14 there has to be a good amount of filler.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutpile View Post
    At least the script won't be ruined by Jordan's horrible writing, she said to the wool-headed fool, tugging on her braid.
    *boggled*

If the books were terrible then why would anyone be excited about a TV series?

I'm skeptical that the series will be anywhere near as good as the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandraudiga View Post
    To be completely honest, I wouldn't bother. One of the best series ever written until Jordan died and Sanderson took over and shat all over it.
    Disagree about Sanderson.

To clarify to others unfamiliar;
    After the first seven books, the author tried a couple of different writing styles that just about everyone took issue with in the following books, but came back with book ten. And then Jordan died of cancer before finishing. Fortunately his wife was the one that edited his work, and Jordan himself made certain to have had the whole of the story wrapped up in manuscripts, so the final 3 books were published posthumously and shared billing with author Brandon Sanderson who was able to clean up Jordan's work, make the writing more concise, and the series ended with a glorious finality that left everyone...(alright, most readers it seems) feeling smugly satisfied.

The entire world of the series just seemed to have this wealth of...depth, I can understand how Jordan can lose himself writing, and thereby lose track of moving the storyline along. There were 2-3 books that read that way.

To be completely honest, I wouldn't bother. One of the best series ever written until Jordan died and Sanderson took over and shat all over it.
    One of the best? Without a doubt... Sanderson shat all over it? I'm going to disagree...

The problem, as many seem to agree, is the middle tier (7-11ish). 1-6 was spot on... always something happening. Twists. Turns. Story lines interweaving...

The part that gets me about the middle tier... is that a couple of the books don't have one of the main characters (Rand not in one... Mat not in another...)... and one of the books starts half way through the previous book - and you don't realize it for awhile until you're like Oh Shit...

Jordan made some very detailed environments... but with SOOOOOO many characters... ~10 main characters, ~20 detailed second characters, 4-5 main stories going on at any given moment... you can only have so many main characters - and bringing in new MAIN characters in half way through (IE: Cadsuane) just makes it worse and worse as it goes on... the detail is awesome but it drags on. Large chunks of story lines could have been condenses or ignored... chasing Aeil to save the wife. Morgesse, the queen, and the majority of her story. Large story lines that could be removed without affecting the plot that much - if at all.

I think Jordan tried to get back on point his last book(s) (10/11), but I think he got lost in the middle parts.

Sanderson definitely had a different story telling style... but he brought it back into focus and finished it as good as anyone else could have.

Just my 2c.
    Last edited by WernerCD; 2017-04-29 at 06:30 PM.
    [color=blue]This thread has lived beyond its life expectancy. ... It's also met the forum quota for posters insulting the intelligence of their peers to grasp the age-old upper hand in argumentation, I believe officially coined by Plato: "Ur, like, dumb and that's why I'm right." Zarhym

Quote Originally Posted by WernerCD View Post
    One of the best? Without a doubt... Sanderson shat all over it? I'm going to disagree...

The problem, as many seem to agree, is the middle tier (7-11ish). 1-6 was spot on... always something happening. Twists. Turns. Story lines interweaving...

The part that gets me about the middle tier... is that a couple of the books don't have one of the main characters (Rand not in one... Mat not in another...)... and one of the books starts half way through the previous book - and you don't realize it for awhile until you're like Oh Shit...

Jordan made some very detailed environments... but with SOOOOOO many characters... ~10 main characters, ~20 detailed second characters, 4-5 main stories going on at any given moment... you can only have so many main characters - and bringing in new MAIN characters in half way through (IE: Cadsuane) just makes it worse and worse as it goes on... the detail is awesome but it drags on. Large chunks of story lines could have been condenses or ignored... chasing Aeil to save the wife. Morgesse, the queen, and the majority of her story. Large story lines that could be removed without affecting the plot that much - if at all.

I think Jordan tried to get back on point his last book(s) (10/11), but I think he got lost in the middle parts.

Sanderson definitely had a different story telling style... but he brought it back into focus and finished it as good as anyone else could have.

Just my 2c.
    Thisis what i liked most about his books.. the extraordinary detail.. if you're painting a world, you need it to be huge, and you neeed it to feel real.. it's a whole freaking world, a mega story needs that many number of main characters, second characters, new ones that come in etc.. detailed peoples.. you need that. i'ts a Megaworks, look at how long Tolkein spent on Middle Earth, most of his life, and still only got off 4 books, but with a ton of detailed background and notes that he never got a chance to finish.

I actually thought he did a great job and couldn't really tell THAT much of a difference in Sandersons writing and Jordans. It's still a worthwhile series to read if you enjoy high fantasy. It's wordy in both authors books.

Sanderson worked with Jordan shortly before his death and his widow to get the story down so any story issues that are there have nothing to do with Sanderson.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The Wheel of Time never felt like it focused on telling a story which is why many people have issues with it; they love the story it does tell and are anxious for more. Yet the writer was far more involved with building a world and bringing it to life for you than he did with telling a story. There is a vast amount of detail in his world, from the accents and dialectic phrases of a dozen peoples, to their preferences in clothing, political structures, customs and traditions. Many of the cities are described in enough detail that you can stroll through them in the theater of the mind. Meanwhile he presented a very complex magical system and showed how it could be integrated in the many different societies he presented.
    Do not read the Wheel of Time if all you want is a good story. It has a great story but that was never the point.
    I like that the book makes you "suffer" through the detail, as a young boy, I enjoyed reading the wheel of time, but it was such a step up from the short volumes I was use to reading. The intriguing plots were so good having to gnaw through the detail to get to what would happen towards the end of the story was at times very frustrating, but only at times,

Overall it was very very enjoyable because it felt real and was made believable by that detail and ofc it had it's delicous humour.

The wheel of time was the sort of book you read on a rainy day with no internet access or you had passed your daily online limit or was in a place where tech wasn't readily available, i didn't get an iphone till after 18, well a smart phone as my folks would not allow it, but books, books they encouraged, so once i got throught he long narrative, it piqued my interest

Maybe i was in the right place at the right time (or wrong/wrong depending on your pov), but i remember having nothing to do outside, cos it was raining, and having no acces to my video games cos the TV was being used so was in my room bored out of mind, saw the book on the shelf and picked it up, and this time, iwas able to get past the first 1-2 pages, and that was it. SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I actually thought he did a great job and couldn't really tell THAT much of a difference in Sandersons writing and Jordans. It's still a worthwhile series to read if you enjoy high fantasy. It's wordy in both authors books.

Sanderson worked with Jordan shortly before his death and his widow to get the story down so any story issues that are there have nothing to do with Sanderson.
    Sanderson didn't work with directly with Robert Jordan...

brandon-sanderson-finishes-robert-jordans-bestselling-wheel-of-time-series-with-a-memory-of-light

Quote: "Q: Did you know Robert Jordan personally? A: I did not know him. ..."

Robert Jordan died. Years later, Harriet Jordan was reading something of Sandersons and decided that she wanted see if he wanted to finish WoT. He said yes... then, while working on it they found old stuff with notes from Robert.
    [color=blue]This thread has lived beyond its life expectancy. ... It's also met the forum quota for posters insulting the intelligence of their peers to grasp the age-old upper hand in argumentation, I believe officially coined by Plato: "Ur, like, dumb and that's why I'm right." Zarhym

Deleted
    I don't really like the sanderson books.
    There are some minor but distinct differences in writing style that broke my immersion repeatedly.
    I mean, don't get me wrong i loved mistborn, but i would presumably have disliked the last book of that series being written by anyone else too.

In regards to WoT, i think the story is too big and too disparate, and jumps around too much, to work for a TV format.
    But Mat remains one of my favorite characters.
    Wish Jordan was around to do his Shogun in Seanchan book.

Oh and for the love of god, this better not be like the Sword of truth series, that was book rape and more book rape.
    Last edited by mmocfd561176b9; 2017-04-29 at 09:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Frankly, there's so many better properties to pick up than this. And this is speaking as someone who USED to be a fan; I own the series up through book 9, and I took the first 4 with me when I backpacked through Europe for a couple months.

Jordan's a talented writer in some respects, but the rest is absolute cringe. He makes the dual error of renaming obvious things to put his own mark on it, and making the "new" names so close to the real-world ones that you have to wonder why he's wasting your time. And it's not just once. He's got;

- gholam (which are just golems)
    - Ogier (ogres)
    - Shaitan (Satan; even less imaginative since this is just Arabic)
    - Trollocs (because he couldn't decide if they were trolls or orcs, so trollorcs)
    etc.

Plus, Rand is one of the worst Gary Stus I've ever read ("oh, three women are all in love with me AND they've worked it out so they're cool with all three of them being with me at once, neat.) Double plus, almost every single female character can be summed up with "thinks men are stupid, stamps feet when angry which is almost always, tugs braids if available."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    Oh and for the love of god, this better not be like the Sword of truth series, that was book rape and more book rape.
    To be fair, the books are pretty damned rapey themselves.

Plus, they're basically Twilight for Libertarians. Goodkind couldn't even rationalize why communism was "bad", so he made them all murdery rapist mongols and demanded you accept that's because they're communist. And then the hero beat them with the Power of Sculpture.

And that's not a joke, folks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Frankly, there's so many better properties to pick up than this. And this is speaking as someone who USED to be a fan; I own the series up through book 9, and I took the first 4 with me when I backpacked through Europe for a couple months.

Jordan's a talented writer in some respects, but the rest is absolute cringe. He makes the dual error of renaming obvious things to put his own mark on it, and making the "new" names so close to the real-world ones that you have to wonder why he's wasting your time. And it's not just once. He's got;

- Ogier (ogres)
    - Trollocs (because he couldn't decide if they were trolls or orcs, so trollorcs)
    etc.
    To be fair, some of the renaming makes sense, the Gholam for instance, is not exactly slow and dull, which is part of the classical Golem myth.
    The Ogier one is again a minor twist (though this one he just should have said ogre and been done with it).
    As for Shaitan, he used like 17 names for the 'dark one' and there is a general aversion in fantasy to bring in reality and name some thing 'satan'.
    And i liked Trollocs.
    As for the Gary stu thing, sure there is a certain problem here.
    Tbh, If i were the one writing this story, 3-4 main character would have been done away with, or at least been greatly reduced.
    Like Perrin, don't really need him, Elayne, lots of cutting, Bayle Dommon... Traveling... Really a large amount of the story doesn't make any sense with it, also, How in gods name was it forgotten? even if all you can do is travel as far forward as you can see, that's still pretty long distances...
    best leave it here though.'

Plus, they're basically Twilight for Libertarians. Goodkind couldn't even rationalize why communism was "bad", so he made them all murdery rapist mongols and demanded you accept that's because they're communist. And then the hero beat them with the Power of Sculpture.

Yeah, i liked the series well enough, but it really went of the deep end a few books in, And i'm fairly positively inclined to libertarians.
    Twilight for libertarians is not uncalled for, and it does not make for an especially compelling anti-communist script in anyway.
    And Oh i forgot, the power of sculpture bit... oh god i so forgot that
    And when i re-read the series a few years ago i noticed that the first book had some really strong libertarian bits too, really jarring too.

Ed:
    Double plus, almost every single female character can be summed up with "thinks men are stupid, stamps feet when angry which is almost always, tugs braids if available."
    Okay this archetype is a bit overused, but there are several characters that do not do this, this has more to do with youth.
    Imho, Nynaeve does grow quite a bit too in the series.
    Last edited by mmocfd561176b9; 2017-04-29 at 10:03 PM.

I don't really like the sanderson books.
    There are some minor but distinct differences in writing style that broke my immersion repeatedly.
    I mean, don't get me wrong i loved mistborn, but i would presumably have disliked the last book of that series being written by anyone else too.
    I agree with this, in the WoT he did, you could sadly tell it was different. not the same kind of different 7-11 was from 1-6, but it did break my immersion, repeatedly, there are details and sections I know Jordan would have given more detail that BS did not, emphasis in the wrong place, and he didn't quite get the humour right either, but it was decent enough to finish it, the sort of treatemenet the big scenes would have been given were not.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair, some of the renaming makes sense, the Gholam for instance, is not exactly slow and dull, which is part of the classical Golem myth.
    The Ogier one is again a minor twist (though this one he just should have said ogre and been done with it).
    As for Shaitan, he used like 17 names for the 'dark one' and there is a general aversion in fantasy to bring in reality and name some thing 'satan'.
    And i liked Trollocs.
    As for the Gary stu thing, sure there is a certain problem here.
    Tbh, If i were the one writing this story, 3-4 main character would have been done away with, or at least been greatly reduced.
    Like Perrin, don't really need him, Elayne, lots of cutting, Bayle Dommon... Traveling... Really a large amount of the story doesn't make any sense with it, also, How in gods name was it forgotten? even if all you can do is travel as far forward as you can see, that's still pretty long distances...
    best leave it here though.'
    I agree with you on this one and disagree with @Endus. I Was fine with the naming, although iw asn't familiar with the other fantasy tropes at the time, there was enough detail to paint them as their own group, and yes, fantasy genres do draw on either familiar races or names that are close to that of another or the entire genres expectation of said thing. It's smart play I felt.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutpile View Post
    At least the script won't be ruined by Jordan's horrible writing, she said to the wool-headed fool, tugging on her braid.
    wait are you saying the writer of the book would ruin the show based off there book? i have to be miss understanding this right?.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by un_known View Post
    yeah along with the 20+ pages of describing a particular place/village/person/tribe/god knows what, that was very annoying about 1/10th through eye of the world
    if you don't like world building why would you read a 12 book series.

- - - Updated - - -

how did sanders shat on it he took jordans notes and story and just wrote it out. he didn't write most of it maybe some of the format was different but it was jordan's plan.

Im dying to know what timeless aes sedai eyes looks like!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    wait are you saying the writer of the book would ruin the show based off there book? i have to be miss understanding this right?.....

- - - Updated - - -

I'm guessing they are GoT fans.
    The biggest difference between GRRM and RJ is not that one is more high fantasy and the other is not, but rather that GRRM went to journalism school.
    If WoT had been edited like GoT is, it would have been shorter by two three books.

- - - Updated - - -

how did sanders shat on it he took jordans notes and story and just wrote it out. he didn't write most of it maybe some of the format was different but it was jordan's plan.
    There is some fairly jarring differences in their writing though, some things you just know would have been written in another way if he had been doing the writing.
    Also, @Endus there does appear to be two threads on this topic, so channel saidin and moderate that

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm guessing they are GoT fans.
    The biggest difference between GRRM and RJ is not that one is more high fantasy and the other is not, but rather that GRRM went to journalism school.
    If WoT had been edited like GoT is, it would have been shorter by two three books.

- - - Updated - - -

There is some fairly jarring differences in their writing though, some things you just know would have been written in another way if he had been doing the writing.
    Also, @Endus there does appear to be two threads on this topic, so channel saidin and moderate that
    i like got and all but i think it ruins great fantasy series for alot of people. i'm not sure how likely this is but i assume people watch or read got then expect every thing to be like it. after reading/watching it my self i kept thinking people were gonna die horrible all the time in books i didn't get out of that happen till i finsihed the first 2 storm light books and the first 3 mistborn books cause screw the last 3.

- - - Updated - - -

oh ya i defiantly noticed the difference on the books he did but over all its what jordan would have done but in a different format.

because it was suggested to me via a friend and despite the long winded descriptions that happened throughout the entire series, it was a really good read.

oh! btw, there's world building and there's rambling on, the latter is what happened in WoT

7+ Year Old Account

- Ogier (ogres)
    etc.

Plus, Rand is one of the worst Gary Stus I've ever read ("oh, three women are all in love with me AND they've worked it out so they're cool with all three of them being with me at once, neat.) Double plus, almost every single female character can be summed up with "thinks men are stupid, stamps feet when angry which is almost always, tugs braids if available."

- - - Updated - - -

i listened to the series as audio books as i can't read novels, i didn't even notice the names being similar to other things other the gholams and ogiers. its probably difference if your reading it but i didn't even know trollocs were slept like that and i never though of trolls or orcs while i was going thought he series. same with shitan,

and ya the whole rand harem thing was id say some of the worse parts of the book.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by un_known View Post
    because it was suggested to me via a friend and despite the long winded descriptions that happened throughout the entire series, it was a really good read.

oh! btw, there's world building and there's rambling on, the latter is what happened in WoT
    I have to disagree i rather like the in detail world building like in wot or say the honor Harrington series. i could see how some wouldn't like it but i think its a great thing to do in high fantasy books

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    He makes the dual error of renaming obvious things to put his own mark on it, and making the "new" names so close to the real-world ones that you have to wonder why he's wasting your time. And it's not just once.
    These slightly altered names/phrases aren't a mistake. They're a motif.

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    It better have a good wardrobe with how the dude describes all the clothes. The clothes had more personality than the people did.
    This guy did some work on wardrobes, and I kinda like em.

As for the adaptation... meh. They most likely will drop it before getting to the middle of the story. Too many characters, and too much shit in general for your standard TV-watching magpie to keep track of.