Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    12 remaster isn't new class stuff per se. It's using the Zodiac Job system which didn't really see a release in Western territories. Basically there are still License Boards but an example is Red Battlemage linked below.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Battlemage

Basically each zodiac sign has it's own Board path rather than the full on freedom 12 did.
    Daz ok I'm just a sucker for red mages. Gonna main one in 14.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    FFX. I love everything about that game.

It's my fav too, don't worry.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    Are we counting the tactics titles? If so, FFT takes first slot for me. If not, XII is right behind it. Would go something like:

-FF Tactics
    -FF XII
    -FF IV
    -FF VI
    -FF IX
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

The first one will always have a special place in my heart. Really started me on the path of playing rpgs. But I'd say my favorite was 3 (6). Great characters, great story. Kefka was weird and funny. The esper system was cool. The world getting destroyed was interesting. And of course...the opera.

Probably FFX because it was my first and the reason I got a PS2. I actually played it at my cousin's for almost the entirety of the time I visited them (they rented it), and my uncle/aunt even bought it for me, not knowing that I didn't own a PS2, rip.

That said, I know it's not necessarily the best, but it's the one I hold dearest to me.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

FF3 (6 in japan) > FF7 > FF2 > all others

IX

I'm a sucker for medieval/steampunk/magitech worlds and that hit all the right spots, especially after the high-future VII and VIII, and the sort of general theme of the game and the character depths and motivations were absolutely lovely. Kuja may also be my favorite villain because he wears himself like a generic fantasy villain, but has a good bit more depth to him once you figure him out

I know we got the PC port with better graphics and bells and whistles, but you really wouldn't hear me complaining if IX got a full, VII remake-style remaster

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    FF3 (6) no question. Not a single character aside from the joke characters that I disliked (Mog, Umaro and Gogo), and that's with a cast that large to boot. Plot was amazing as was the themes, and I love the setting of the game (bordering between medieval and steampunk). Wouldn't call the fighting system revolutionary but it's a good bit better than most FF games (even to date). Some FF games are pretty strict in the jobs that certain characters can do, which means that you can't always run the parties that you want to run with the characters you like. Certain characters are certainly better tailored for magic or physical combat, but not by such a huge margin that they are going to be completely gimp doing it. The job systems in some FF I generally like the best, but I really liked how you could beef up stats with certain Espers equipped, and that everybody could learn magic in that game.

Outside of that it has a beautiful soundtrack, probably the best video game soundtrack I've ever heard.

I'm also fond of 5 and 4. 5 mostly for the job system, and 4 for it's story. 9 is a great game and 8 in my opinion is a better 7, if you remove the first third of the game (8 is agonizingly painful to push through at the start, and the long GF summons don't do it any favors).

10+ Year Old Account
    final fantasy 8

best story and the GF graphics at the time were mindblowing

My high school teacher

Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    final fantasy 8

Agreed on the GF graphics. Eden, Diabolos, Quetzalcoatl, Pandemona and Bahamut were all gorgeous. Tonberry was kind of an amusing one.

Final Fantasy 12. The opening theme was superb and I loved the gameplay.
    My order of favourites is: 12 > 8=6 > 9 > 7.
    FF13 series was underwhelming

FF VII, IX, X are my three favorite games of the franchise. VII had my favorite story. X had my favorite character, Auron.

XIII, while it was a beautiful game, it was missing a lot of the substance found in other titles.

I haven't played XV yet, but one thing that kind of turns me off of it is all the extra shit that you need to buy to get the complete game. WTF is up this bullshit?

Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    final fantasy 8

Yep, same for me. I was about the same age as Squall was when I picked up the game, or rather, half the game. It was the PC version, and my friend only had the first 2 discs. It took more than a few months to track the game at a local store and finally play through to the end. Since then, I've played it all the way through more than a few times.
    The game certainly has its share of flaws, but it also has a lot going for it, and I thoroughly enjoyed it every time.

It also introduced me to the rest of the Final Fantasy series, and the masterpieces that are Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger.

FF8 isn't the best game in the series, having played most of the games (excepting FF11 and 12), I'd say FF6 has that spot locked in fairly tight; but it's a game with a good story, good characters, flawed - but solid - mechanics, beautiful visuals (for the time) and it will always have a special place in my heart.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed them all but VI and XI were my two favorites. VI because it had such a large cast of characters each with their own stories and reasons for fighting against Kefka. XI was my first journey into MMOs and Vana'diel has remained one of the most memorable worlds I've ever experienced even years later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    9 and 10. The bestest ones.
    Amen.
    The ultimate farewell-game on the PS1 and an awesome start for the ps2.

I love 8, 7 and 10. I also hated 12 and 9. I didn't like the gameplay on either and I couldn't get into their stories.
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

WoW, I'm surprised that FF VII is the top FF for so few.

For me, FF VII hands down, just for Sephiroth (you can see his evil face in my avatar). I can't say how many hours I spent in this game, Cloud, Tifa, Aeris, the fights against the WEAPONS...

I enjoyed FF VIII a lot too, but it's way behind FF VII.

FF IX I got to the third disc and left it, for no particular reason, actually I was enjoying it a lot, but after FF VIII for some stupid reason at the time I thought that the style was too childish. Definitively I have to play it and finish it someday.

With FF X, I was eager to play it, and I finish it, but I think that I would enjoy it more these days. I don't love it very much because for me it was the last FF of the old school, it change so many things (the open world), and I don't know, after it I haven't touch another FF.

So FF VII>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FF VIII>>>>>>>>>>FF X.

I would like to play FF VI, finish IX, and definitively I'm buying FF XII remastered, I think that its closer to FF VII/VIII than FF X, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Never tried FF XIV, I'm burned of WoW and MMOs, but now it's free until level 30 I think, so I might give it a try.
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

It's between VII and X for me. Really hard to choose. They both have excellent stories, music, etc. I was absolutely captivated and immersed playing these, and was pretty sad when I finished.

As far as gameplay, I'd have to say the original FFT on PS1. I still play that more than anything else because the replay value with FFT Patcher is literally infinite.

FFIX gets an honorable mention, but I can't put it in a top spot. Zidane is still my favorite FF character.

It changes with the years. 8 was my first so i have a soft spot but 5 and 6 are pretty goddamn top tier jrpg baselines. Nowadays though i think 13 is the worst followed by 15 after a power gap. my favourite would probably be 9, but i also think Crystal Chronicles is my favourite of the franchise if we dont just count numbered ones, so i must just love that art style.

But IX is special in ways a lot of folks overlooked. I know a lot of people bitched at it "going back to fairy tale bullshit" but the entire 3rd disc reveal is its actually sci-fi villains abusing a fantasy world. Earths died and the human created homunculi send ships to gaia to bioform gaia into a new terra. They infiltrate society and keep it at a set level of development while the lifa tree pumps out mist and they kill off natives and the new life is born as humans. Something thats gone on so long native races like burmecians and the Qu are on the decline and the humans on the planet like the alexandrians have built a new human civilisation and dont even know they are technically an invasive, destructive lifeform from a planet longdead.
    That shit is bananas but if you just try the first disc and dont like the story, art, music and world it builds -which i loved anyway- then you never get to the twist reveal which i think makes it one of the strongest if not the strongest storylines in the franchise.

But again its a simpler plot but i like the Cyrstal Chronicles story a lot. Miyazaki from Fromsoftware said its his favourite and looking at the story of Dark Souls and hollowing and the real story of CC you only get into after a few years of caravan trips that would not surprise me at all.

I guess i'd say a tie of IX/CC? both are must play games in my opinion, i would love CC to get rereleased on the Switch.