Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    It sounds really good OP, keep going at it for the rest of your life, give yourself no rest cause rest is for the weak. You are the alpha male remember? You slay girls and deadlift Trump in the shower every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    It has its advantages.

-More women
    -less emotion
    -Stronger
    -intimidating
    -success

But there are some cons
    -Prone to having affairs/cheating
    -you are a big asshole
    -there is always a bigger alpha and you will get beat up at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    No, money is overrated.
    Oh, I don't know about that. I'm currently studying in the STEM field and there's a book I'm writing. The main hero is synthesizing 4-MMC on the side. For about 3-4 hours a day, after a week you can make the equivalent of about $40K in product then spend about a month or two liquidating that, nearly risk free.

It's all about perspective. Money feels good if you don't need to slave your ass off to get it. I understand some people might like poverty, there's certainly some appeal to not being able to afford shit and just looking at things, wishing you could have them.

This is all of hypothetical, though. Nobody is engaging in any illegal activities, of course.
    Last edited by mauserr; 2017-05-01 at 08:41 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by God Emperor Trump View Post
    It has its advantages.

-More women
    -less emotion
    -Stronger
    -intimidating
    -success

But there are some cons
    -Prone to having affairs/cheating
    -you are a big asshole
    -there is always a bigger alpha and you will get beat up at some point.
    If you think you need to be an asshole to be an Alpha, you aint an Alpha...

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone posing as an alpha to make such a choice, is usually just called an asshole.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Altberg View Post
    Well, no, those who act like alphas typically just acts like an asshole. Because we live in a society, where an alpha putting you in your place has limits within the law. It let's those who want to be alpha, but are not genetically predisposed to it, simply act like assholes. The majority of those who claim to be alpha on gaming forums, would trail the pack if law was actually governed by alphas. Remember, you don't have to be an alpha, when your bank roll artificially grants you the appearance of having balls of an alpha.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

7+ Year Old Account
    Either a shitton of people don't know what an "alpha" male is or a bunch of wannabes have taken over the term.

I'm not sure why some people come in here to shit talk me. I am in shape, I have a decent programming job, I live on my own and I spend half my time continuing my university bachelor's and researching stock markets and teaching myself new programming things. I'm not socially inept nor incapable, nor do I consider myself a misunderstood genius, I just know I have a good level of intelligence and aptitude at whatever I set my mind to doing if I choose to do so.

So to people like Ysho, I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about, and I don't understand why moderators continue to allow people like you to post on the forums whilst banning me because I'll make a thread bashing pandaren or some shit. MMO Champion grade mods at their best. I digress.

My question was whether I should do more. Whether I should abandon all frivolous activities like you hear really successful people talk about, and dedicate all my energy to becoming the best I can be, for like 10 years, and see what I can make out of myself.

So instead of bars, random sex, games, and all that shit, just grind grind grind, not just at work, but in terms of teaching myself, researching opportunities, making connections and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Alpha individuals are defined simply as natural leaders who are above their peers. That's it. Whether they abuse their alpha status is not part of definition. To say alpha are fundamentally bad concept because of power abuse is like saying guns or cops are fundamentally bad because of power abuse in USA.
    Most people who use the term don't seem to use that definition, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol Alpha male.

I've never run into any normal, successful people who use this term/

It's only on the internet.

Deleted
    Alpha males create beta males. They will create conflict. Nothing is better than war and conflict!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Altberg View Post
    Wrong, very wrong.

I mean a alpha may not be doing it on purpose, but that is what those alphas do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras View Post
    Say for the next 10 years I drop all distractions: games, tv, girls, generic bullshit, self-pitying, finding excuses etc, and starting tomorrow I apply every free second of my life to learn to make more money, shape up, develop social and business skills and all that shit, and maybe 10 years from now I'm rich, women want to fuck me, I can live off interest from my investments, I can take care of my family and friends and all that shit. So by the time I'm 38, I'm an alpha male.

Is the struggle and the sacrifices worth it? Has society norms influenced me not to want to chase being an alpha and be content with having just enough and killing dumb pixels at night after work and fighting apologists on the forums about whether I think flight is good or bad for a videogame? Should I strive for more? I know I can do more, but I am currently content. Is that a good mentality? In this age where everyone gets a medal just for not choking on air, has being content become the equivalent of mediocrity?

I don't know, I feel like Will in Good Will Hunting where he's capable of being a genius but he tells Robin Williams he wants to be a shepherd, but the problem is...I sympathize with both Will and Robin's points of view, and I think neither is totally right, nor totally wrong.
    You can't become an "alpha male," it is something you are born into.

I'm not sure why some people come in here to shit talk me. I am in shape, I have a decent programming job, I live on my own and I spend half my time continuing my university bachelor's and researching stock markets and teaching myself new programming things.

My question was whether I should do more. Whether I should abandon all frivolous activities like you hear really successful people talk about, and dedicate all my energy to becoming the best I can be, for like 10 years, and see what I can make out of myself.

So instead of bars, random sex, games, and all that shit, just grind grind grind, not just at work, but in terms of teaching myself, researching opportunities, making connections and all that.
    Depends.

There's the MBA path - you're already behind the curve on it though if you're working while doing school half time. It suggests you aren't in the right school for Goldman or MBB to even look at your resume. So that one is probably out. You mentioned "researching the stock market," and I have some bad news. Nobody is good at stocks. Nobody. Index funds beat everyone over periods longer than a few years. If you're doing that for cash reasons, you should stop now, because you won't be consistently good at it. Whatever question you ask to clarify, the answer is no.

Then there's the 'new idea' path. Here's the thing - there were 849032840928340 different websites like Facebook. Zuckerberg got lucky. If your goal is to be the next Zuckerberg for money, don't do it. You probably won't be the one that makes it. If you want to make the next thing because it's fun and you're passionate about it, go for it. Passionate people are more successful than people doing it for money anyways.

So really you have to think about your reasons and what you actually want. If the reason is cash... why? What do you want to do with the cash? Do you actually need as much cash as you think you do? If you do it with your current cash, can you do more of it just by having more free-time rather than more cash?

Qualifications to respond: I did the MBA path and was at one of the MBB firms. Everyone had cash, but no free time and constantly stressed. F that.

Also, alpha doesn't mean what you think it does. You don't have to be an alpha to succeed, though it does correlate somewhat, since being a high functioning sociopath is helpful for the things you have to do to 'get ahead' once you're in the door. The thing is... the world is changing, and while alphas used to lead just by being alpha, the availability of data is making it easier to tell who is full of it. So the world may look different in a decade...

Say for the next 10 years I drop all distractions: games, tv, girls, generic bullshit, self-pitying, finding excuses etc, and starting tomorrow I apply every free second of my life to learn to make more money, shape up, develop social and business skills and all that shit, and maybe 10 years from now I'm rich, women want to fuck me, I can live off interest from my investments, I can take care of my family and friends and all that shit. So by the time I'm 38, I'm an alpha male.

Is the struggle and the sacrifices worth it? Has society norms influenced me not to want to chase being an alpha and be content with having just enough and killing dumb pixels at night after work and fighting apologists on the forums about whether I think flight is good or bad for a videogame? Should I strive for more? I know I can do more, but I am currently content. Is that a good mentality? In this age where everyone gets a medal just for not choking on air, has being content become the equivalent of mediocrity?

I don't know, I feel like Will in Good Will Hunting where he's capable of being a genius but he tells Robin Williams he wants to be a shepherd, but the problem is...I sympathize with both Will and Robin's points of view, and I think neither is totally right, nor totally wrong.
    Alpha is not a choice. You either are, or you aren't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    Most people who use the term don't seem to use that definition, though.
    That's their problem. Same way way how flat earthers define earth as flat instead of sphere for what it is.