Icy-Veins confusion

So I just checked their DK Frost section in about a month, and I saw that they've completely removed any mention of Machine Gun spec.

What happened?

BoS totally out classes it in terms of DPS... i finally switched to it and though i don't enjoy it as much the numbers don't lie. I haven't learned how to keep BoS up as much as i should but my dps still jumped by a few hundred thousand....
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

They removed the fun and made BoS good.

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    BoS totally out classes it in terms of DPS... i finally switched to it and though i don't enjoy it as much the numbers don't lie. I haven't learned how to keep BoS up as much as i should but my dps still jumped by a few hundred thousand....
    Any solid guides or vids to watch to learn the style?

Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    Maybe on you tube, not sure, i just read the guide, copied the spec and practiced a bit on a target dummy and WQ's. my DK is my alt so if i'm not a peak performance i'm ok with that. it def isn't as fun as the old style of play
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

The playstyle is kind of the same. You just have another button that is breath. When breath in on CD, you basically use the same buttons to do dps (Remorless, obliterate, rimes, frost strikes).

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    They removed the fun and made BoS good.
    what are u talking about?BoS build is one the most fun builds in the game atm, reason why I rerolled dk.

Its fairly easy to pick up, I struggled at first but over a few raids I adapted to the style easy enough, just because I wasn't use to keep my eye on my RP that much and kept dropping my breath early.

Now I am no super expert and I'm sure some of the better DK's on here can give you a better setup but this is enough to at least get you into the build.

I personally go 3/1/2/3/2/3/2 (lvl 60 and 75 and 100% optional) I have also seen people go HoW and RA but I like FF and GS

Openings usually go (prepot) Howling Blast pop RW just as i'm running up Oblit, Oblit (using any rime procs in-between) if I had at least 1 rime proc I have enough RP to start breathing (4 set tier 19) if not I wait for 1 more Oblit (usually aim for 68-70 RP min so DK's won't pop breath till at least 90rp though)
    Pillar into Summon Syndragosa (if I'm not saving it for a specific burst section in the fight) then Breath keep using Oblit and Rime procs as you go.

Now this is where you will learn to judge overtime, try to figure out if your runes will come up before you run out of breath, once you are at the point where you think you will drop breath (running out of RP at 30ish RP and no runes available) then you pop Hungering Rune weapon keep spamming Oblit (using rime procs and popping RW on CD) try to aim to have as close to 100 RP and most of your runes free when it runs out.
    Now using your oblit sparing only when you drop below 70 RP (using rime procs again) the goal here is to stretch out the breath for as long as possible, the longer the breath the better.

In between breaths just go back to using FS to stop RP from capping, making sure to keep an eye on Pillar and Breath cooldowns, your second breath won't be anywhere near as long but try to pool 80ish RP and have 2-3 runes ready to go.

Again this is a very basic guide check out the DK discord or ask some of the better DK's on here for help but hopefully its enough to get you started.
    Last edited by rykon1459918; 2017-05-04 at 11:49 PM.

I think they remove it because even in mythic dungeon is not worthy, if you were using that build for aoe just put some traits in unholy

Quote Originally Posted by Malderon View Post
    what are u talking about?BoS build is one the most fun builds in the game atm, reason why I rerolled dk.
    Stop using most abilities to prepare a full bar of runic power and keep all runes up for when BoS is off cooldown, and then while you channel this you can't use any runic power spenders so your rotation is still crippled is not fun. Maybe you have fun with it, doesn't change the fact that it's a flawed rotation that makes the entire spec rely on one skill cuz the rest of the time it does shit dmg, kinda like STM Spriests.

Icy wants to have all their guides aimed at maximum end game play. So, like looking at warcraft logs you can see that BOS dominates the charts by far and there are only a couple spotted parses that use machinegun. Even in mythic plus at higher levels BOS does better. So, with BOS being really the only true max competitive way to play frost now, that's why they removed machinegun.

This is why I want Breath of Sindragosa removed or nerfed to oblivion. I find the playstyle terribly unfun but the spec is gimped without it.

People focus too much on the Breat uptime but the micromanagment that this build requires with Remorseless Winter is also very funny

Here's a good Frost guide from the DK Discord:

https://goo.gl/gVBHCW

Quote Originally Posted by UNHEILVOLL View Post
    People focus too much on the Breat uptime but the micromanagment that this build requires with Remorseless Winter is also very funny
    Tbh it's not much different than the previous playstyle of icy talons, except with more downtime in order to line everything up. Breath is kind of like a fire and forget spell.
    What I don't understand is people saying this spec isn't fun, when it's more or less the same playstyle. I guess they like to press buttons all the time eh ?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Only my opinion matters. Fuck everyone else.
    Fixed /10char

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    Stop using most abilities to prepare a full bar of runic power and keep all runes up for when BoS is off cooldown, and then while you channel this you can't use any runic power spenders so your rotation is still crippled is not fun.
    Firstly, this is just your opinion. I find BoS build very fun to play.

Secondly, this is only a major hindrance for people with very poor gear. If you have good crit & haste levels that come with proper ilvl, this spec is very flush with resources at almost all times.

I think BoS is a good build because it can be extremely optimized regarding where you spend your breaths, how you spend your HRW's (if you have the ring) etc depending on each fight. I've found a lot of room to improve my output beyond simply using my abilities correctly in a loose rotation, and that has made it a pretty engaging build to play. This is as opposed to the Frost Strike build, which was basically a Fisher Price spec by comparison. I understand that the appeal of that Frost Strike spec, since it doesn't require any thought and poor players aren't penalized as severely in its gameplay, but there is nothing fun about that to me.
    Last edited by shrunken; 2017-05-07 at 06:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by UNHEILVOLL View Post
    I think that is just because of unholy BOS in WoW, if you weren't hitting like 2 min min breaths you were a terrible human being and should unsub. but you are correct in many ways its more of an olds arms rotation, shove as much crap into one window as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiz View Post
    Tbh it's not much different than the previous playstyle of icy talons, except with more downtime in order to line everything up. Breath is kind of like a fire and forget spell.
    What I don't understand is people saying this spec isn't fun, when it's more or less the same playstyle. I guess they like to press buttons all the time eh ?
    They really like pressing a button every 5 seconds to babysit Icy Talons.. that is all imho. I was the same, I thought I'd actually hate it, but frankly, having a CD that actually does something is kinda nice..