Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Ancient Stone Tablet Found: Reveals Comet Impact Sparking The Rise Of Civilization

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevorn...ilization/amp/

Scientists have translated an ancient stone tablet found at a temple in Turkey. The tablet confirms that a comet struck Earth around 11,000BC, leading to global destruction including the extinction of the woolly mammoth and the rise of new civilizations.

The carvings were found in Gobekli Tepe in southern Turkey, the world’s oldest known temple and a site for ancient observatory and worship. In fact, the temple dates back to 9,000BC, approximately 6,000 years older than Stonehenge.

The carvings at the center of the recent scientific publication were found on a pillar known as the Vulture Stone. The carvings depict various animals corresponding to astronomical constellations. The stone also shows a swarm of comet fragments as they hit Earth and a headless man symbolizing human disaster and death.

The symbols found point to a large comet impact around 13,000 years ago. This was then cross-checked against simulations of what the Solar System would look like during that time and scientists were able to identify the comet strike was around 10,950BC. Likely not coincidentally, this is the start of the global cooling event called the Younger Dryas.

The Younger Dryas was a pivotal moment in human civilization. Previously, humans were largely nomadic hunters that harvested wild grains without establishing permanent locations. The onset of the global cooling led groups of people to begin cultivating crops to endure a harder climate. This gave rise to farming and livestock breeding that we still employ today.

The Younger Dryas took place as Earth was transitioning from the Last Glacial Maximum ice age to an interglacial warm period. The event was unusual in that there was a small short lived reversal in the overall warming trend causing the Earth to cool for approximately 1,200 years.

Some hypotheses link the cooling to a large influx of fresh water from melted glaciers on North America into the northern Atlantic Ocean. This, in theory, caused a fresh water cap over the North Atlantic and slowed down the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation which in part distributes heat from the equators to the poles. However, another potential cause of the cooling was the aforementioned comet strike around the start of the Younger Dryas. This could have initiated a global cooling period and extinction caused from upthrown debris and dust into the atmosphere. While there is significant evidence of a comet strike, there is still debate as to whether this was responsible for the onset of the Younger Dryas.

The comet hypothesis must be tempered by the fact that no physical impact site has been found, the smoking gun evidence needed to confirm the onset of the Younger Dryas was due to a comet impact. Unlocking the events that led to the Younger Dryas would provide further understanding of the agricultural boom and rise of the first Neolithic civilizations.

Am I missing something? They made drawings of an event that happened 2000 years earlier? How would that even be possible? That'd be like 100 generations, I'd guess.

Or did they make a temple where the drawings were?

10+ Year Old Account
    i knew the draenei ran their ship into the earth.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

no one alive today has a clue as to what life was like that many thousands of years ago, not one second of their day could be judged as accurate, and that the people of those times thought the earth was round...is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by LMuhlen View Post
    Am I missing something? They made drawings of an event that happened 2000 years earlier? How would that even be possible? That'd be like 100 generations, I'd guess.

Or did they make a temple where the drawings were?
    nah you are confused, 11,000 BC is 13,000 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by brimdog View Post
    no one alive today has a clue as to what life was like that many thousands of years ago, not one second of their day could be judged as accurate, and that the people of those times thought the earth was round...is laughable.
    2/10 bait. try harder.

Aliens.

\10ancientaliens

Quote Originally Posted by Magictricks View Post
    Looks like you are confused. The temple is from 9000 BC and they made a tablet describing events from 11000 BC, 2000 years earlier. Your response is correct, but totally missed the point of what he was asking.

OT: I like how the article states the tablet confirms, well, anything. The Bible is stories that have been passed down and finally written. So many here dismiss the Bible. But here, this tablet done in the same way is correct. It is a confirmation!

Quote Originally Posted by Magictricks View Post
    The temple dates back to 9000 BC, the meteor is said to fall 11000 BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Oral traditions were used to preserve a lot of events, beliefs, or whatever else in some sort of shared cultural identity and memory that could be passed from generation to generation. It's also possible that they recorded these events elsewhere and simply reproduced them at the temple once they built it.
    Nah, I don't believe it can be true. Oral traditions wouldn't last 2000 years in a time when even oral language was so rudimentar. We have written language now and can't be sure of what happened 2000 years ago... I don't know anything about my family 5 generations ago, with oral traditions being passed through and with documents and such. Imagine 100 generations?

They making a drawing of another drawing they found would work, I guess. "Hey look, a drawing of some apocalyptic shit! Perfect for starting a temple and instilling fear into people".

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i knew the draenei ran their ship into the earth.
    We can unhearth the gehenndar and go to argus, the army of light needs us!
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why would anyone want to trust some writing on a stone tablet and yet not trust accounts of large spread destruction written down in a book? And before you discredit the Bible. the great flood was also recorded in stone tablets from the civilizations living in central Iraq at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Why would anyone want to trust some writing on a stone tablet and yet not trust accounts of large spread destruction written down in a book? And before you discredit the Bible. the great flood was also recorded in stone tablets from the civilizations living in central Iraq at the time.
    Yes, but no one believes one dude built a giant as fuck boat and had 2 of every animal. Numerous civilizations had stories of massive floods. Hell, imagine what Hurricanes like Katrina were like back in the day. That would be remembered for ages. Most civilizations in the early times were built along rivers, and they flooded. They needed their farms to survive and they would be gone, their homes were not as sturdy as they are today and most of those may have been gone. So it is no surprise that there are stories of floods that fucked things up. However, the story of one dude surviving with like 3 members of his family with 2 of every animal in a giant boat is what is not seen as factual.

Because there isnt any sound evidence of a global flood? And because the bible is a collection of stories (old testament) retold and refitted from the previous religions that existed in that area.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Yes, but no one believes one dude built a giant as fuck boat and had 1 of every animal. Numerous civilizations had stories of massive floods. Hell, imagine what Hurricanes like Katrina were like back in the day. That would be remembered for ages. Most civilizations in the early times were build along rivers, and they flooded. They needed their farms to survive and they would be gone, their homes were not as sturdy as they are today and most of those may have been gone. So it is no surprise that there are stories of floods that fucked things up. However, the story of one dude surviving with like 3 members of his family with 1 of every animal in a giant boat is what is not seen as factual.
    Billions of people do.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Yes, but no one believes one dude built a giant as fuck boat and had 1 of every animal. Numerous civilizations had stories of massive floods. Hell, imagine what Hurricanes like Katrina were like back in the day. That would be remembered for ages. Most civilizations in the early times were build along rivers, and they flooded. They needed their farms to survive and they would be gone, their homes were not as sturdy as they are today and most of those may have been gone. So it is no surprise that there are stories of floods that fucked things up. However, the story of one dude surviving with like 3 members of his family with 1 of every animal in a giant boat is what is not seen as factual.
    In fact there is some evidence of a flood in the middle east some thousand years ago, due to the breakage of an ice dam or something like that, as the ice age receded a bit

10+ Year Old Account
    Billions of people do.
    Rational people* sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    This article is bollocks, it contradicts itself.

Compare the opening paragraph...

Scientists have translated an ancient stone tablet found at a temple in Turkey. The tablet confirms that a comet struck Earth around 11,000BC, leading to global destruction including the extinction of the woolly mammoth and the rise of new civilizations.
    To the closing paragraph...

The comet hypothesis must be tempered by the fact that no physical impact site has been found, the smoking gun evidence needed to confirm the onset of the Younger Dryas was due to a comet impact.
    So it is a hypothesis that is confirmed by an interpretation of a stone tablet. In other words, nothing has been confirmed.

We know very little about the civilisation at Gobekli Tepe, we do not know if they had a civilisation that had the continuity to able to transmit an event over two millenia later accurately.

Billions of people do.
    And that in itself doesnt make it true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    In fact there is some evidence of a flood in the middle east some thousand years ago, due to the breakage of an ice dam or something like that, as the ice age receded a bit
    Of course, floods were a natural occurance, but once in a while you had the big one that just destroyed everything. Imagine this, but 5000+ years ago

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Because there isnt any sound evidence of a global flood? And because the bible is a collection of stories (old testament) retold and refitted from the previous religions that existed in that area.
    It is important I think to keep in mind, the world as they knew it, was what the bible was referring to when it stated the flood covered all the earth. They knew nothing of many other continents. But, it is still based on one's faith. Which all religions are. You ether have it and accept it or not and reject it. Choice is ours.