Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revik View Post
    It is because our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.
    There is a lot of truth in that. But there are also physical reasons for a lot of people. Myself, I feel blessed to live like I do and to have good health, a roof over my head and loved ones to be around. And I have hope even for when I leave this world. But that is not true of many.

There's all sorts of different reasons, but I'd wager some of the most common include wealth inequality, an unstable family life, a lack of meaningful social interactions and major cuts being made to essential services that would help mitigate a lot of the problems before they become too dire. Add to that a general lack of education and understanding of mental health related issues and it's a complete mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Nerd View Post
    Why? We live in the best of times, welfare, free healthcare for everyone, little if any big wars, Karl Gustaf and clean drinkable water straight out of the tap.

I don't get it.
    Trump won and people are Jumping for Trump!

It is because our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.
    The only spiritual war I've seen in my lifetime was during Harmonic Convergence in Legend of Korra. I'm pretty sure it's something else.

As for me, being exposed to the internet, for all its wonders, exposes me to just how small my opinions really are and just how many stupid people with far greater influence there are. I'm probably never going to "change the world", and will keep doing what I've been doing, keeping my mind off that uncomfortable reality with video games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Because we work. We wake up, eat, and go to work. While some enjoy their time there, not that many do. As years pass, more and more is expected of us at work as machines come from behind and do things better. This creates stress. You finish working and go home. You may get 1-2 hours of something, if you're lucky, then go to sleep. That is, unless, of course, you work overtime or work 2 jobs, case in which you come home and sleep.

Then comes the weekend. You're so tired from the week that on the first day you mostly sleep. On the second one you do things around the house, cleaning, buying groceries for next week, some time with loved ones if you have any. And if you have a few hours left, you have some "you" time. This, of course, happens if you don't work in weekends too, case in which there's no break at all.
    Then you repeat. Every week. Every month. Every year. Until you're too old to work anymore, but you're also too old to travel and do what you like anymore.
    You may want to start doing something you like... but hold on... you need time for that, so you'd need to cut from overtime or fully cut second job. But if you do that, you won't have money for your side project that you might like. So, whatever you do, you lack something, time or money.

Again, this does not apply to anyone. But the middle class is shrinking in many countries in favour of the poor class. The distance between the rich and the poor is increasing.

Why would people be happy when they're just hamsters on wheels? At first it's new and interesting, but once you realize that's most of what it is and that you'll spend your entire life there... life itself loses meaning. If we focus on USA or some countries with high university/healthcare cost, it's even worse for you actually can't quit your job unless you want to end up in the streets, as the banks will take everything. For other countries, mostly EU ones, this doesn't apply, but the other problems still do.
    That's how I feel. Americans particularly work 40+ hours per week to have little or no time for themselves. This is why I admire France's 35 hour work week, as it helps deter companies from keeping their employee's from overstaying. Those with the shortest work week, tend to be happier.

I'd say it is due to the fact that America is losing its Judeo-Christian values; the very thing this country was founded upon. As this new atheist trend rises, so does depression. These new atheists feel they don't have a point in life due to thinking we were made by sheer chance. They think we are simply animals and not something more important. Fortunately they aren't the majority and will most likely convert when they are older (probably near death).

15+ Year Old Account
    I can't believe that no one remembers fight club...

@Revik
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

It is because of monotony. Even though we might have a descent level of living, there's no change each day. Every day looks exactly like the previous one and the next one.

If we had a worse life but with some change, some reason to keep going, I think we would be better. You don't see many depressed people in the third world. You see depressed people sitting in front of computers with AC and a bottle of water/soda next to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zervek View Post
    I'd say it is due to the fact that America is losing its Judeo-Christian values; the very thing this country was founded upon. As this new atheist trend rises, so does depression. These new atheists feel they don't have a point in life due to thinking we were made by sheer chance. They think we are simply animals and not something more important. Fortunately they aren't the majority and will most likely convert when they are older (probably near death).
    This wouldn't be happening if evangelicals weren't so toxic and didn't insist on a literal (a.k.a. wrong) interpretation of the Bible. I dropped Christianity because after studying physics for years and making LGBT friends, I could no longer associate with YEC's and anti-gay evangelicals, among other reasons.

If I had been raised as a Catholic I would very likely still be one; as their teachings aren't nearly as toxic. Not even close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Technically that's Maslow's motivational theory -- which isn't really relevant for a discussion about depression.
    wouldnt you describe depression as a lack of motivation?

It's really not as puzzling as you all are making it out to be - people these days just expect to get a lot more out of life than they used to. Whether that be from movies, advertising, social media, or what have you, we all have this vision of this amazing and fulfilling life waiting for us, and when that doesn't materialize of course people will be sad about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    wouldnt you describe depression as a lack of motivation?
    Well, yes and no. Depression can stop you from doing something despite you being motivated to doing it. You can't go through with your motivation.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Even if faith in Jesus did help curb depression by giving people meaning in their lives, there's still the little matter of the entire belief system being utterly baseless, unfounded bullshit. You could make yourself feel a lot better by believing in Twilight Sparkle and the magic of friendship as well, but you'd still be an idiot for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I can't believe that no one remembers fight club...

@Revik
    I quote because I see more and more truth with that movie as time goes on. When the movie came out I was just a teenager and now I'm actually of similar age as those characters and things haven't really gotten any better. Dying 1 minute at a time.

I count my blessing though as I have it better than most. I have gotten married and live in a house and have a decent paying job. So maybe I am winning that spiritual war but I can only imagine what it must be like for someone who has it worst than me.

Maybe we need to spend more time in support groups just to get out our anxiety and anger issues out.

"This is the true horror of religion: it allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions what only lunatics could believe on their own. If you wake up tomorrow morning thinking that saying a few Latin words over your pancakes is going to turn them into the body of Elvis Presley, you have lost your mind. But if you think more or less the same thing about a cracker and the body of Jesus, you are just a Catholic." -Sam Harris

As an atheist, I dont need to believe I need to have a point in life. I just am.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    That's how I feel. Americans particularly work 40+ hours per week to have little or no time for themselves. This is why I admire France's 35 hour work week, as it helps deter companies from keeping their employee's from overstaying. Those with the shortest work week, tend to be happier.
    Check out this list... Suicides per 100,000 people per year Top 3 is ... 1. Sri Lanka, 2. Guyana 3. Mongolia ...i expected more western countries up there.... i highly doubt the reasons for the high rates in those countries is no free time or some light bulbs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_suicide_rate

If you are unhappy with your live, your job, your wife or whatever...change it before it makes you unhappy /or kills you, no1 else can cept for you.

There is allways a way and a year later you laugh about the old shitty job etc.
    Last edited by mmoc15f92c5277; 2017-05-09 at 03:51 PM.

I quote because I see more and more truth with that movie as time goes on. When the movie came out I was just a teenager and now I'm actually of similar age as those characters and things haven't really gotten any better. Dying 1 minute at a time.

I count my blessing though as I have it better than most. I have gotten married and live in a house and have a decent paying job. So maybe I am winning that spiritual war but I can only imagine what it must be like for someone who has it worst than me.

Maybe we need to spend more time in support groups just to get out our anxiety and anger issues out.
    I think it all depends on what you want out of life. If you want to be a wealthy person and own yachts and go on lavish vacations and you are stuck working a mid-level job. Well you life is going to suck worse then someone who wants to be married, have kids, live in a nice mid sized house with a pool, who is working that same mid-level job

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    I can tell you this. If you try to power through it or just "deal" with depression on your own. It will not end well. I'm telling you this from experience.
    well, i doubt you have the level of cowardice i do.

even so, if you're right, i just have to bide my time and i'll finally get what i want.

Weebs exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Read some stoicism