Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    But that would just mean that "the culture" is just a bunch of deluded corporate shills who would gladly pay $200 for a shoe that cost $10 to make if it has a jumpman on it, but somehow consider $500 beyond the pale even though it's probably a more justifiable price given that Ball probably needs to charge that much to cover his overhead given that he probably doesn't expect to sell many.
    Any type of fandom has it share of materialism. People pay $200 for a pair of Jordans for the brand, rarity, and prestige. You may not agree, and thats fine, but many see shoes as collectibles.

But lets be honest for a second. $200 vs $500 is isnt the same as 2 vs 5 even if youre willing to spend a bunch of money on a pair of shoes. There must be some sort of sentimental value attached to the brand to go someone to pay $500 for a shoe thats not even rare. The man already tarnished the name of his brand. No one would want to be caught with the shoes for the simple fact that the man pulled the number out of his ass with nothing to show for it.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Any type of fandom has it share of materialism. People pay $200 for a pair of Jordans for the brand, rarity, and prestige. You may not agree, and thats fine, but many see shoes as collectibles.

But lets be honest for a second. $200 vs $500 is isnt the same as 2 vs 5 even if youre willing to spend a bunch of money on a pair of shoes. There must be some sort of sentimental value attached to the brand to go someone to pay $500 for a shoe thats not even rare. The man already tarnished the name of his brand. No one would want to be caught with the shoes for the simple fact that the man pulled the number out of his ass with nothing to show for it.
    I just don't like to see all these fans and pundits reflexively going to bat for a giant corporation that habitually overcharges them for cheaply made junk by virtue of controlling 97% (!!) of the market, and whose lackeys are directly or indirectly responsible for most of the behind the scenes fuckery that goes on in the world of sports and marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

That's how it worked. Plus LeBron has more or less surpassed MJ.
    Not even close.
    http://www.landofbasketball.com/play...ael_jordan.htm

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by revize View Post
    Doesn't help that these clowns get front page ESPN coverage every time the Balls fart.
    Encourages more clown behavior from them, free publicity, free advertising.

One of the main differences between this...and say Retro Jordans (or luxury brands), is that they are fashion accessories.
    These sneakers seem to be positioned on performance, so its performance needs to be up to their price tag is they were to ever work out.

Part of the reason people buy expensive sneakers (Retro Jordans, Air Yeezys etc) is because they are fashion icons and give you 'street cred'.
    These sneakers have yet to show that they are anywhere near that status.
    I collect sneakers. Almost never do sneakers drop with a price tag of $500.00, it's all about resale on limited runs. Like Yeezy's for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Sampras was the GOAT then Federer surpassed him.

That's how it worked. Plus LeBron has more or less surpassed MJ.
    Lebron is kind of short of a few more rings lols.

And this year has a decent chance that he might not get a ring too.

I buy my shoes in bulk from The Shoe Warehouse, $500 is 6 pairs of shoes to me. I feel like I'm probably not the intended audience for this magic shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    I buy my shoes in bulk from The Shoe Warehouse, $500 is 6 pairs of shoes to me. I feel like I'm probably not the intended audience for this magic shoe.
    Even the intended audience isn't the intended audience. These are Air TJMaxxs all day.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I collect sneakers. Almost never do sneakers drop with a price tag of $500.00, it's all about resale on limited runs. Like Yeezy's for example.
    Red letter day! We have something in common.

Quote Originally Posted by Matchles View Post
    Red letter day! We have something in common.
    How big is your Skechers collection exactly :P

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Oh wait, this is that gem again? Fuck doesn't he actually suck as a player?
    If you call averaging 2.2 points and 2.3 rebounds a game "sucking." Doesn't that just scream world beater?

I feel sorry for Lonzo. Dude is probably going to be the 3rd pick in the draft and his dumbass father has already set a bar too high for him to ever achieve. His dad's antics pretty much guarantee he is going to get demolished on the floor by all the players wanting to make an example of him.

- - - Updated - - -

How big is your Skechers collection exactly :P
    Nikes, family employee discount helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    I just don't like to see all these fans and pundits reflexively going to bat for a giant corporation that habitually overcharges them for cheaply made junk by virtue of controlling 97% (!!) of the market, and whose lackeys are directly or indirectly responsible for most of the behind the scenes fuckery that goes on in the world of sports and marketing.
    For sure, I see the irony.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Nikes, family employee discount helps.
    Oh nice, I usually get the backdoor footlocker discount (well not a discount, just not taking the L) on limited releases. Had like 6 pair of Royals.

Oh nice, I usually get the backdoor footlocker discount (well not a discount, just not taking the L) on limited releases. Had like 6 pair of Royals.
    Nice. I think my last limited release was the Oregon Kobe A.D.s a couple months back.

Nice. I think my last limited release was the Oregon Kobe A.D.s a couple months back.
    They are re-releasing the Royals on the Nike Sneaker app in China which means they will probably do the same for the American app soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiftshadow View Post
    Lebron is kind of short of a few more rings lols.

And this year has a decent chance that he might not get a ring too.
    If it was only about rings then Bill Russel would be the best though.

Going to continue where were left off on the Billion $ thread that got locked.

Never heard of the guy. It if Nike can market $500 shoes to people that will buy them with his name on them, more power to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Going to continue where were left off on the Billion $ thread that got locked.

Never heard of the guy. It if Nike can market $500 shoes to people that will buy them with his name on them, more power to him.
    He made his own company to sell $500 and $1100 shoes. I guess you aren't a big baller. I also took an L on the Wings that dropped today : (

He made his own company to sell $500 and $1100 shoes. I guess you aren't a big baller. I also took an L on the Wings that dropped today : (

Proud to say I am not. It was probably a bad investment on his part though.

Never heard of him or his crappy shoes.