Page 1 of 3
LastLast

BioWare Montreal Transitions to a Support Studio

http://www.pcgamer.com/report-mass-e...ffer-pcgamertw

Some members of BioWare Montreal have moved to EA Motive to work on Star Wars Battlefront 2.
    Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson expressed confidence in BioWare during an earnings call yesterday, and said that the decision to push back its new, as-yet-unannounced project into the next fiscal year was not a reflection of the relatively cool response to Mass Effect: Andromeda. Today, however, Kotaku reported that developer BioWare Montreal is being transitioned to a "support studio," with a number of its employees moving to the Jade Raymond-led EA Motive, while the Mass Effect series itself has been put "on hiatus."

To be clear, this does not mean layoffs, but rather a reallocation of resources. EA Motive is working on Star Wars Battlefront 2, obviously a major project, while BioWare Montreal's reduced responsibilities—Kotaku said it will "help support" the development of games at other EA studios, including the big mystery game at BioWare Edmonton, and also continue to patch and support Mass Effect: Andromeda—means that it simply doesn't need as many staffers as it did when it was making its own triple-A game.

"Our teams at BioWare and across EA put in tremendous effort bringing Mass Effect Andromeda to players around the world. Even as BioWare continues to focus on the Mass Effect Andromeda community and live service, we are constantly looking at how we’re prepared for the next experiences we will create," BioWare Montreal studio director Yanick Roy said in a statement.

"The teams in EA Worldwide Studios are packed with talent, and more than ever, we are driving collaboration between studios on key projects. With our BioWare and Motive teams sharing studio space in Montreal, we have BioWare team members joining Motive projects that are underway. We’re also ramping up teams on other BioWare projects in development. There will be much more to come from BioWare in the years ahead."

It's obviously not a happy development, but it's not nearly as catastrophic as it might appear at first glance, either. In a way, it's something of a return to the studio's roots: BioWare Montreal was originally founded in 2009 to help out with the development of Mass Effect 2, and Andromeda was its first solo act. Nor does it mark the end of Mass Effect, which despite the Andromeda stumble remains one of EA's top-tier series, and will obviously be back someday. If anything, it seems like a perfectly reasonable move: Employees go where they're needed, Star Wars moves front-and-center, Mass Effect is allowed to fade into memory for a while—sometimes that's a good thing—and nobody ends up out of work.
    Last edited by Lucetia; 2017-05-11 at 12:28 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Good riddance.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well that sucks. Andromeda was really good.

This happens when you put a major IP in the hands of a freshman studio.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    This happens when you put a major IP in the hands of a freshman studio.
    More like this is what happens when a studio is acquired by EA. Each games becomes lower and lower quality until the point where EA will close the studio.

Bioware has literally regressed with every release since EA acquired them.

A shifting of the team was expected as perusual. Moving people to EA teams was not though. Thank you for not linking the Shitaku link.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    More like this is what happens when a studio is acquired by EA. Each games becomes lower and lower quality until the point where EA will close the studio.

Bioware has literally regressed with every release since EA acquired them.
    Bioware Montreal isn't even the main Bioware, it's a fresh studio that was created just train up new people, being Andromeda the first and only game they developed.

Bioware and EA do have responsibility on giving a major IP to Bioware Montreal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    Well that sucks. Andromeda was really good.
    Which is sad. Andromeda, even with all the problems, was indeed very good. The problems were simply too big to be ignored, something that two months of QA would resolve easily.

When you hire people like that what can you expect

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by veehro View Post

Exactly. Bioware went full on SJW and has made shit games since.

Oh boy, looks like part of OT is leaking into here.

Not that I think that dude in question is a class act or anything.

Its the EA life cycle, one more skull for the pile.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Bioware Montreal isn't even the main Bioware, it's a fresh studio that was created just train up new people, being Andromeda the first and only game they developed.

Bioware and EA do have responsibility on giving a major IP to Bioware Montreal.

- - - Updated - - -

Which is sad. Andromeda, even with all the problems, was indeed very good. The problems were simply too big to be ignored, something that two months of QA would resolve easily.
    Bioware Montreal is not a fresh studio, they have been around since ME2 FFS and had major roles in the development of both ME2 and ME3.

Andromeda is a shit game too, but I guess people that are desperate for a sci fi rpg will take what they can get off of the shit pile known as the EA conveyor belt.

DAI was a meh game, but it's a masterpiece compared to the shit show that is Andromeda.

So instead of trying to make interesting games they will now make shitty license shooters. /RIP

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bioware Montreal is not a fresh studio, they have been around since ME2 FFS and had major roles in the development of both ME2 and ME3.

Andromeda is a shit game too, but I guess people that are desperate for a sci fi rpg will take what they can get off of the shit pile known as the EA conveyor belt.

DAI was a meh game, but it's a masterpiece compared to the shit show that is Andromeda.
    Whoa, such edge. Next you'll tell me that the witcher was terrible too. because you're soo edgy that only the indiest indy games are fun.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    Whoa, such edge. Next you'll tell me that the witcher was terrible too. because you're soo edgy that only the indiest indy games are fun.
    Yea, I'll tell you that my GOTY of 2015 was terrible.

Someone is clearly triggered. Strawman attempt denied. BRB gonna go play a game from 1999 that has better animations then MEA.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, I'll tell you that my GOTY of 2015 was terrible.

Someone is clearly triggered. Strawman attempt denied.
    Yeah, you are. that whole diatribe kinda makes it obvious.

Andromeda had issues yeah, but overall was a solid title. Moreso than me3 at launch was with it's fanbase breaking "pick a color guys! SUCH CHOICES!" ending.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    Yeah, you are. that whole diatribe kinda makes it obvious.

Andromeda had issues yeah, but overall was a solid title. Moreso than me3 at launch was with it's fanbase breaking "pick a color guys! SUCH CHOICES!" ending.
    ME3 was a decent game with a terrible original ending.

MEA is a terrible game the entire game let alone the ending.

The hyperbole associated with ME3 is laughable. Sales and reviews both point to ME3 being a better game. You're basically triggered that your opinion is falling on deaf ears because shocker, no one cares about a single dude in a world with billions of people.

Deleted
    As a supporting studio of Bioware Edmonton. Andromeda is the first Bioware Montreal-led development game.

I have a solid 130 hours in Andromeda, starting my second NG+ with 1.06. The game is a clearly 8/10 for me. Good to know your opinion.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    ME3 was a decent game with a terrible original ending.

MEA is a terrible game the entire game let alone the ending.

The hyperbole associated with ME3 is laughable. Sales and reviews both point to ME3 being a better game. You're basically triggered that your opinion is falling on deaf ears because shocker, no one cares about a single dude in a world with billions of people.
    and you think I give one single shit about you? You're going to die, surrounded by friends, but alone. Sure, the machines will keep the last echoes of your worthless soon-to-be corpse in this world, but your mind will be gone, rotted into nothing by dementia. By the time the last spade of dirt lands your staunchest friends will have moved on, and your family will be divvying up whatever meager possessions you left unattended, fighting each other like rabid dogs. In 100 years, even your name will have eroded from the stone placed above you. Thus does a man go from this world, not as a great flame, but a meager candle sputtering, and then forgotten.

Please post productively and respectfully. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2017-05-12 at 03:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by veehro View Post

My god why would you hire someone who speaks so bitterly. That or he is the best internet toll around :P

Thank god he is just a developer and not apart of the managing department. But still that kind of talk should get you fired. I dont think he is racist against whites but he does seem very bitter towards them.... Maybe he was bullied when he was younger for being who he is thats why he holds such disdain?

EDIT: Went to his Twitter, he doesn't seem to have that description next to his name and his tweets seem pretty left, but nothing too crazy, maybe the man is having a mid life crisis? Or that picture was photoshopped.
    Last edited by Orby; 2017-05-11 at 09:00 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance