Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    It wouldn't take a change in the Constitution. It was illegal in the US until very recently, and no change to the Constitution made it legal. It was a 5-4 SCOTUS vote. One more conservative judge on the SCOTUS could be enough to change it back.
    Gay marriage was made legal in the United States in 1868 with the ratification of the 14th Amendment. Up until recently individual states illegally tried to suppress gay marriage. Those laws were recently suppressed by the Supreme Court.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    You might be an extreme right winger if: (cont'd from previous post)

11. You think liberals want communism.
    You might be an extreme left winger if:

1. You have no sense of humor, and does not understand hyperbole.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    This bears repeating.

Umm, do you have a source for this? Pretty much everything I've read has stated the opposite.
    Sure. Drinking in America... and this.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Gay marriage was made legal in the United States in 1868 with the ratification of the 14th Amendment. Up until recently individual states illegally tried to suppress gay marriage. Those laws were recently suppressed by the Supreme Court.
    If it was illegal in every state up until recently, then it was illegal in the US until recently...
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

"If you're not with me, you are my enemy"

When you start thinking like this.
    Last edited by Fonduset; 2017-05-12 at 06:00 PM.

Hi.I have answered your questions. They are good answers.
    I have to admit, I had to stop after the first when I nearly fell off my chair
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Compare korean bathroom to western bathrooms. I've had people complain about how I've used their bathrooms, saying it will cause water damage.
    Never used one, but from a quick google search, it appears to be what I've often referred to as a European shower (that's the only place I've personally used one). That's not a cultural thing, that's an architectural difference. Personally, I love those types of showers - I prefer them. However, it would be silly to open up an American-style shower curtain and spray water everywhere. That's education on how to use an appliance. It has nothing to do with culture.

Quote Originally Posted by DistortionSleep View Post
    How do you know? If you're like this guy
    Drunk people are nazis?

The main difference between right and left is how you think your nation's history and culture should be maintained. If you think historical values are exceptionally important, then you're probably right wing; if you think they are a good starting point but can be improved upon, then you're left wing. Extreme right would be preserving history and culture at the expense of everything else. Extreme left is rejecting history and culture in favor of some new culture. The further you go along each direction, the more specific the requirements become which is why the extreme right tend toward ethnic purity, religious orthodoxy, and adherence to tradition while the extreme left tend to want to destroy cultural artifacts like national borders, traditional roles, religion, and traditional laws.

Obviously extreme left folks can become extreme right folks by adopting their chosen ideology as the new standard and rejecting anything that seeks to alter it. Extreme right folk become extreme left folk when they attempt to cure the ills of their culture. Most problems with the extremes come from these two cross overs.

So you probably aren't extreme right unless you are willing to make great sacrifices to maintain traditional values. You probably don't have a serious issue unless you think you can cure your own culture by altering it or removing people from it.

It wasn't considered protected by the 14th amendment until that ruling in 2015. A ruling that barely fell on the side of supporting your argument in a 5-4 turn. A ruling that could easily be changed by a one-person difference on the SCOTUS, which was my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    If it was illegal in every state up until recently, then it was illegal in the US until recently...
    Those laws were in violation of the U.S. Constitution. Gay marriage has been legal since 1868.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    SCOTUS ruling was based on the Constitution. SCOTUS generally doesn't reverse precedent.
    It was based on their interpretation of the Constitution. An interpretation that almost half disagreed with. And here's a giant list of SCOTUS cases where they overruled an earlier SCOTUS ruling.

Never used one, but from a quick google search, it appears to be what I've often referred to as a European shower (that's the only place I've personally used one). That's not a cultural thing, that's an architectural difference. Personally, I love those types of showers - I prefer them. However, it would be silly to open up an American-style shower curtain and spray water everywhere. That's education on how to use an appliance. It has nothing to do with culture.
    A cultural thing is not a cultural thing because it relates to the architecture part of a culture?

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Those laws were in violation of the U.S. Constitution. Gay marriage has been legal since 1868.
    Sorry, but that's not how it works. If people were getting arrested for something on a regular basis, or actively being prevented from doing something by the government then it was illegal. Stating otherwise is a pathetic attempt at white washing your countries history and how it has treated its minority groups.

Laws are not considered unconstitutional until they struck down by the supreme court.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2017-05-12 at 06:06 PM.

It really changes from person to person tbh. For someone who really hates Trump and rails about him on a daily basis simply saying you voted for him would prob mean you are an extreme right winger to them. For the average person who voted for Trump or who usually votes republican you'd prob need to have some very radical kinds of views to qualify. For some people, simply saying you visit Breitbart or believe the gov't was behind 9/11 would also mean you are extreme right winger. Ultimately, you should just believe what you want to and not worry about what sort of silly labels people want to use on you. Most labels are there just to pigeon hole people without having to truly address what they are saying.
    Last edited by Berndorf; 2017-05-12 at 06:06 PM.

It wasn't considered protected by the 14th amendment until that ruling in 2015. A ruling that barely fell on the side of supporting your argument in a 5-4 turn. A ruling that could easily be changed by a one-person difference on the SCOTUS, which was my point.
    The text of the 14th amendment is pretty unambiguous. Unless you're a bigoted shit heel like Scalia who avoided citing the 14th amendment throughout his career.

The laws against gay marriage were exactly like the laws against miscegenation. They tried to make it illegal but were punked by the 14th amendment.

Those laws were not ruled to be in violation until 2015. And again, only 5 of the 9 thought they were in violation. You're certainly incorrect in a pragmatic sense, and I'd argue you're also incorrect in a legal sense - though that would be better argued amongst nit-picky lawyers arguing irrelevant semantics. The reality was, gay marriage was not recognized across the US until 2015.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Those laws were not ruled to be in violation until 2015. And again, only 5 of the 9 thought they were in violation. You're certainly incorrect in a pragmatic sense, and I'd argue you're also incorrect in a legal sense - though that would be better argued amongst nit-picky lawyers arguing irrelevant semantics. The reality was, gay marriage was not recognized across the US until 2015.
    Doesn't even need to be nit picky to be considered incorrect in a legal sense.

Legally, any law that passes is considered constitutional by default. It only becomes unconstitutional if someone brings it to the Supreme Court and the Supreme Court rules that it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    A cultural thing is not a cultural thing because it relates to the architecture part of a culture?
    Uh... no. It's not. Certainly not in the sense we're talking about in terms of what most people are concerned about entering the US. Culture is about what it means to be a member of a given area or people. I mean, do you really think "what makes me Korean is that I get my WHOLE bathroom wet when I shower?"

Uh... no. It's not. Certainly not in the sense we're talking about in terms of what most people are concerned about entering the US. Culture is about what it means to be a member of a given area or people. I mean, do you really think "what makes me Korean is that I get my WHOLE bathroom wet when I shower?"
    Architecture is part of culture whether you like it or not.