Page 69 of 78 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    So do we need to change a mobo for coffee lake? Also, do you need to change mobo for upgrading from Coffee Lake to Cannon Lake?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    So do we need to change a mobo for coffee lake? Also, do you need to change mobo for upgrading from Coffee Lake to Cannon Lake?
    For coffee lake, yes. For cannon lake... we don't know yet. It might require Z390, the updated pch that launches in q1 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post

The 8700K still has to arrive so can't use it anyway just yet.
    Most channels report a shipment coming in early next week

I would be very interested to see the WoW raid performance of a 8600k overlocked to 5.3 ghz. No dips below 60fps finally possible?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    I would be very interested to see the WoW raid performance of a 8600k overlocked to 5.3 ghz. No dips below 60fps finally possible?
    Nope, Coffee Lake = Kaby Lake, so performance of Kaby Lake is the same in WoW as it is for Coffee Lake, the difference is 300MHz more, that's not going to change anything unfortunately.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chronia View Post
    Most channels report a shipment coming in early next week
    As with all paper launches.... seeing is believing.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    lolno.

Even 6+Ghz on LN2 couldn't do it.

WARNING: Opinion, not fact, incoming -

After a bit of research, I feel the NH-U14S gives an amazing value at 65 bucks now on Amazon and is a cooler that punches above its price class. Curious to know if it will fit the 8700k?

I also believe the VRM in the ROG Strix z370 Gaming F and E boards is solid and I don't know of any major reasons to spend 70-85 more dollars to upgrade to the Maximus Hero on a gaming PC unless I needed additional ports or planned to overclock the memory past 4000mhz or planned to run a major OC on the processor for day to day and/or benchmarks(granted some of the bells and whistles would be nice to have, perhaps some more knowledgeable about the product line could chime in here).

Just curious, anyone disagree? If so, I am interested in your opinion as I am still in the decision making process.

edited: I'm hoping for something like 4.8 on all cores, 3600mhz ram oc for day to day. Looking for a balance and to max out performance before diminishing returns kicks in. m.2 cooling on at least 1 slot is also an OCD must have for me.

edit 2: I'm running this case, and wow I love it: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16811139049
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2017-10-08 at 04:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chronia View Post
    Still find it weird though that MSRP would be the same as price per 1000 units (see the picture and text i edited later in my previous post). Esp since Intel lists both the per 1000 RCP Price ($359) on that sheet and on Ark. Then again i dont know the US market wel enough.

Yeah, price is quite high for a Hero board, thats for sure.

I haven't really touched a gigabyte board for a while now though except for small testing when someone i know had a board. HAd to much issues with their X58 lineup to consider them really for personal use.

Both Asus and MSI i've had no issues with though over the last few years. I like Asus UEFI interface more though indeed for the same reasons. but quality wise i've had no issues with both brands.

€500 is alot indeed, then again the €330 for the Hero also makes me wonder what the Formula / Code will cost.
    Seems you're working off some incomplete information. The price on Intel's data sheet, the $359 per 1000 is listed as "RCP", which stands for "Reasonable Charge Pricing". RCP values have a profit margin built into them that the manufacture and the buyer both agree on.
    "1. Commercial decision reached jointly between a buyer and seller, reflecting a judgment influenced by the economic realities of the marketplace and the relative bargaining powers of the parties. Generally, it is high enough to cover the seller's costs and a reasonable margin, but not high enough for the seller to realize monopolistic profit." http://www.businessdictionary.com/de...ble-price.html

Intel has NOT said that the $359 is the MSRP for the 8700K, same goes for the prices of all the other chips on that data sheet. The official "Recommended Customer Price" per Intel's own website is $359-$370. They've always listed a price range like that, at least in recent years. They know that by time the chips reach actual retailers, they are likely going to need to charge more than the RCP price per 1000 in order to make a profit. At $379 at Newegg, that's a very slim profit margin.

- - - Updated - - -

The first full 8600K I've seen since launch. I don't follow this channel, so I can't speak to his testing methodology, but the results line up with what I expected. Overclocked 8600K is basically offering just above 7700K performance in gaming, at just $259 retail. (No counting price gougers) The lead of the 8600K over the 7700K is likely higher than his benchmarks show, because he was only using a GTX 1070 in his testing, which can absolutely create a small bottleneck on Ultra settings even at just 1920x1080 resolution in some titles. Yes the card can handle it, but there is headroom for even more fps with a more powerful card.

Will a coolermaster hyper 212 evo be enough cooling for a mild overclock of an 8600k?

Quote Originally Posted by Fauxpaws View Post
    Will a coolermaster hyper 212 evo be enough cooling for a mild overclock of an 8600k?
    Need to be more specific. Is it enough for an 8600K stock, yes, but depending on ambient temp and case airflow you won't have great temps. Pushing an all core Turbo of say 4.5Ghz, which is a "mild" OC as it's stock all core boost is just 4.1GHhz, should be in the realm of possibility with that cooler, but again ambient temp and case airflow will have a huge impact on that.

The Coffee Lake chips have all shown good temps at 4.9Ghz and below, that seems to be the threshold where you have to start upping the voltage to the point where you need a more serious cooler. But a Hyper 212 isn't a good cooler. It's good for it's price, but good for it's price isn't the same thing as good for overclocking. If you're going to be spending $259, or more, on a CPU, you should be spending more than $30 on a cooler for it.

Scythe Mugen 5 or Noctua ones are very good and don't cost a lot. Just upgrade to one of them and you'll be more than fine.

EDIT: F*** the availabilty. My mind and body and wallet are ready but it seems that here ion italy buying the parts i want is more difficult than anything. Amazon also has motherboards but no CPUs. ARGH.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

for stock yes

for mild OC depends on how mild and what the rest of your case airflow is and the ambient temps

a higher-end air cooler (better then 212 evo) would definitely be enough for a 8600K OC up to 4.8-4.9, maybe even 5.0 depending on the chip and your workloads

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.purepc.pl/procesory/test...lake?page=0,44

https://www.purepc.pl/procesory/test...lake?page=0,45

^ 8600K (@ 5.2) gains from 2133 to 3200 RAM .. pretty good and thats just on an OC 1080 I think, not 1080Ti

also that review is huge in general, worth checking out

Anywhere i can preorder the i7-8700k?

and does 7th gen intel work on z370 MB's?
    Last edited by ali725; 2017-10-09 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ali725 View Post

Unlikely you can find anywhere to preorder it and no, 7th Gen CPUs do not work on Z370. Despite being the same number of pins in the socket, the extra power requirements for Coffee Lake (and other changes) required the pins to do different things so they arent compatible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, i've read in several reviews that they do not.

It's the one thing that annoys me about this 8th gen, if something breaks in 1 or 2 years and you have to replace, you'll be limited in the things you can do, most likely. Cause it's a gen with an old socket that probably will not be used further and a mobo that likely won;t fit anything but this 8th gen either. If either break you will have to replace both or find replacements from this gen (if they are still around).

Then again, this generation might become really popular and it might be easy to find replacements even if something does break.

The chip has been released, so it's not possible to pre-order after the release. As far as back-orders are concerned, I do not know of any retailer that's accepting them for 8700Ks at the moment, stock is too limited.

In other news, board and CPU both arrived today. Should have been here Friday but stupid FedEx refused to deliver them despite being available. Second picture is other related parts I bought a while ago that have been waiting for Coffee Lake to release. Can start building as soon as my H500P gets here on Wed or Thur.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicer299 View Post
    The chip has been released, so it's not possible to pre-order after the release. As far as back-orders are concerned, I do not know of any retailer that's accepting them for 8700Ks at the moment, stock is too limited.

In other news, board and CPU both arrived today. Should have been here Friday but stupid FedEx refused to deliver them despite being available. Second picture is other related parts I bought a while ago that have been waiting for Coffee Lake to release. Can start building as soon as my H500P gets here on Wed or Thur.
    Build pics or we stone you!

that is a nice case btw.

15+ Year Old Account
    <lots of spam!>
    Tell me... when you remove the GigaByte board and compare it.. do you agree with me it feels "less solid" than prior boards etc?
    To me it just feels cheap as hell...
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Build pics or we stone you!

that is a nice case btw.
    Build pics will be up in the next week, but it won't be complete. Just traded Tweets with CM and they said the 200mm RGB fans and riser cable for the H500P will not be released for another 6-8 weeks. Yes the case comes with 2 200mm RGB fans in the front, but I had planed on putting 2 more in the top. I also need the riser cable if I want to vertically mount the GPU. I know there are other options for generic riser cables, but those don't always work. The TT View 21 TG, which requires you purchase a riser cable to use the vertical GPU mount, can only use the one sold by TT.

It's unknown if CM will have a similar requirement for the H500P. And even if I could use a generic one, I'd prefer to use the one officially supported by CM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Tell me... when you remove the GigaByte board and compare it.. do you agree with me it feels "less solid" than prior boards etc?
    To me it just feels cheap as hell...
    This is my first Gigabyte board. Current system has an ASUS P8z68 v-pro board in it. The Z370 Gaming 7 board I did get feels solid, got some good weight to it. I also won't be removing my old board from my old system. That system, which the 1080 FTW2 has been sitting in for the last few months, will just have that GPU, my 850 EVO and 2 of it's HDDs removed to put into the new build. I'll be taking that old system, which will be 100% functional minus a GPU, and selling it.
    Last edited by Slicer299; 2017-10-10 at 12:18 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Build pics will be up in the next week, but it won't be complete. Just traded Tweets with CM and they said the 200mm RGB fans and riser cable for the H500P will not be released for another 6-8 weeks. Yes the case comes with 2 200mm RGB fans in the front, but I had planed on putting 2 more in the top. I also need the riser cable if I want to vertically mount the GPU. I know there are other options for generic riser cables, but those don't always work. The TT View 21 TG, which requires you purchase a riser cable to use the vertical GPU mount, can only use the one sold by TT.

It's unknown if CM will have a similar requirement for the H500P. And even if I could use a generic one, I'd prefer to use the one officially supported by CM.
    The Cooler Master H500p case looks very good... the few things I really dislike about it is that the front and top are "cheap plastic and acryllic" and not metal or just mesh (which honestly I would've preferred far more) and that the side panel has to be Tempered Glass... I really don't give a flying fuck about RGB or TG at all... I would prefer just a metal side panel honestly.

(Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0wcbW8uBg0 - Lists my issues perfectly barring the TG thing, that's my personal point)

I was looking to see what the H500p was like because I need a new case but it's difficult for me to find a case I actually like, especially considering the fact I kinda need one with a 5,25" bay or I'm going to have to tape an external USB slim drive to my case -.-
    And yes I do need an ODD... many PCs that are older (and even some newer) glitch with USB booting of diagnostic ISOs.

This is my first Gigabyte board. Current system has an ASUS P8z68 v-pro board in it. The Z370 Gaming 7 board I did get feels solid, got some good weight to it. I also won't be removing my old board from my old system. That system, which the 1080 FTW2 has been sitting in for the last few months, will just have that GPU, my 850 EVO and 2 of it's HDDs removed to put into the new build. I'll be taking that old system, which will be 100% functional minus a GPU, and selling it.
    I was more referring in comparison to...
    I feel like it feeling very "cheap" compared to same price ASUS boards and even some MSI boards.
    I could of course be hallucinating but it just feels that way to me.