Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[WoW] LOW fps with 970/i7 4790k

16GB Ram, i7 4790k 4.ghz, nvidia geforce gtx970, 144 hz monitor., 2 other monitors but unhooking them does nothing.

I am experiencing some terrible framerate I believe for the specs I have. In the outdoor world, I play on the 8 preset with SSAO disabled, anti-aliasing off, vsync off, fullscreen, low shadows, and i get anyway from 60-260 FPS. The range is wildly inconsistent, one second I could have 200 fps, the next I could have 40 in the exact same area, or by changing my camera angle a milimeter. I was experiencing even worse frames before I changed my render scaling to 140%, my power to high preformance, and my pci express(i believe) to maximum preformance as well. My GPu was using roughly 20% of it's resources, and after I swapped the render scaling, it went to about 50-60% and ran much better. I am okay with my outdoor framerate, however, I'd prefer for it to be consistent.

The real problem happens when I enter raids. Regardless of my settings (seriously, 1 preset is almost identical to having it on 10) I hover around 30-50 fps. This is pretty bewildering to me. I feel like I should absolutely have more framerate at 1 preset with my above specs or most players wouldn't be able to raid at all. My Gpu usage is around 30% in the current lfr I'm in, and im barely pushing 40fps.

Any ideas on what could be causing the drastically fluctuating fps or why my raid FPS is so abysmal?

No programs are running in the background that are taking my resources, my temperatures are fine 55 for GPU and 40 for CPU in game. Cpu usagehovers around 30%, ram and swap both around 50% or so.

I have the newest drivers.

Have you tried the 7 preset to see if its better, i know that is the "old ultra".

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Have you tried the 7 preset to see if its better, i know that is the "old ultra".
    Almost every setting shows similar performance, the 1 preset has this problem as well, but averages higher FPS outdoors.

In raids, the preset changes virtually nothing, and I get no better performance that should be noticeable going from 8 to 1.

Deleted
    Geforce experience

Quote Originally Posted by Beefbarrier View Post
    Geforce experience
    ..? go on /10char

Some area's of the game have crappy performance, that's how the game works unfortunatelly, do make sure you have all your mods up to date, as outdated mods can cause some of the issues you describe.

You can always overclock your CPU a little, even if only temporary to see if it helps, wow is very CPU bound and the issue is most likely not in your graphics card, but in your CPU failing to keep up (this happens on all CPU's but if it is extreme you can do the mod/overclock thing to see if that helps.)

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Some area's of the game have crappy performance, that's how the game works unfortunatelly, do make sure you have all your mods up to date, as outdated mods can cause some of the issues you describe.

You can always overclock your CPU a little, even if only temporary to see if it helps, wow is very CPU bound and the issue is most likely not in your graphics card, but in your CPU failing to keep up (this happens on all CPU's but if it is extreme you can do the mod/overclock thing to see if that helps.)
    http://imgur.com/a/vOAYd this is my cpu usage while standing in dal. It appears to be above the top line at all times in a raid. Could this be my issue or does it seem normal?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Your experience is normal for the game.
    So you're saying that my relatively high end computer, that gets 40 fps in a raid, is a normal experience? On the lowest preset?

So you're telling me that 90% of the playerbase ( if not more ) has 10-20 fps in raids at all times? Did you read the post?

10+ Year Old Account
    that is a normal happening for frame rates in wow
    Processor:Intel I5 8600 @ 3.5Ghz
    Ram:G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) ddr4
    GPU: EVGA SC 1070
    some other stuff i can't remember eh

10+ Year Old Account
    This may seem obvious but have you tried without addons? Just because 7.2 changed some API stuff that broke some functions, you may have some infinite errors going on which kills fps. Since you're saying raids do it the most, they did change a lot on the nameplate API because they don't allow friendly nameplates now in raids for example.

Your description is strange anyway... crazy changes, seems too crazy to be just the addon stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Begrudge View Post
    that is a normal happening for frame rates in wow
    So this,http://imgur.com/a/t4qj4 , seems absolutely normal for my specs?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by m4xc4v413r4 View Post
    This may seem obvious but have you tried without addons? Just because 7.2 changed some API stuff that broke some functions, you may have some infinite errors going on which kills fps. Since you're saying raids do it the most, they did change a lot on the nameplate API because they don't allow friendly nameplates now in raids for example.

Your description is strange anyway... crazy changes, seems too crazy to be just the addon stuff.
    I have tried a complete UI reset, and was having this issue pre patch as well.

EDIT: http://imgur.com/a/HMhgg I have absolutely no clue what is going on. This was taken 10 minutes later.
    Last edited by Entarium; 2017-04-01 at 01:37 AM.

Have you tried decreasing Render Scale on Advanced settings? Might be the reason for the FPS drop. Other than that, its pretty much impossible to get this low FPS with this hardware. Interesting.

This sounds absolutely ridiculous to even type this, but is there anyway that having a non active subscription can correlate to framerate in game? Maybe something in the launcher? I have had a sub that was month to month for almost a year now, decided to finally put it on my card (literally 10 minutes ago, i logged out, and back in, and my framerate is PERFECT. 85+ in raids on 10, 80+ in dal on 10, no drops whatsoever.

This was framerate in raids pre subscribing - http://imgur.com/a/t4qj4
    ANd this was post subscribing - http://imgur.com/a/HMhgg

Again, this sounds totally ridiculous, but I literally have no other explanation why I logged out, logged back in (with nothing at all changed) and everything works perfectly.

Tin foil hat activate?

Ya they keep tabs on month to month subs, i actually go down to 10 FPS when i pay with WoW token.

Kappa.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Ya they keep tabs on month to month subs, i actually go down to 10 FPS when i pay with WoW token.

Kappa.
    Yeah I know it sounds ludicrous, but I am utterly confused on why, all of a sudden , it works perfectly when i've had terrible performance for months?

WoW or nvidia bug with WoW 144hz screens. Happens randomly on the net cafe i frequent since they changed screens to 144hz.

Suddenly 100+ fps to 40-48 cause the Vsync bugs out. Not even sure which Vsync the screens or WoW enabled/Disabled doesnt matter.

Half the times exiting and relaunching doesnt even fix it but deleting WTF and copying it from my back up does.

Alr tabbing a lot triggers it sometimes.

Windowed fullscreen bugs out randomly too but what i said above usually fixes it for that day.

In easier explanation. WoW decides to set Vsync to 60 no matter settings of Display or WoW while screen forces 144hz causing all sorts of weird shit.

Since i play with Vsync it was easy to spot how raid went from 50-70 fps /144Hz in combat to choppy as fuck 30-40 with max 60Hz vsync out of nowhere , had it happen so many times it doesnt even bother me anymore i simply fix it.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-04-01 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Entarium View Post
    Yeah I know it sounds ludicrous, but I am utterly confused on why, all of a sudden , it works perfectly when i've had terrible performance for months?
    lol ya that is odd.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    WoW or nvidia bug with WoW 144hz screens. Happens randomly on the net cafe i frequent since they changed screens to 144hz.

Suddenly 100+ fps to 40-48 cause the Vsync bugs out. Not even sure which Vsync the screens or WoW enabled/Disabled doesnt matter.

Half the times exiting and relaunching doesnt even fix it but deleting WTF and copying it from my back up does.

Alr tabbing a lot triggers it sometimes.

Windowed fullscreen bugs out randomly too but what i said above usually fixes it for that day.

In easier explanation. WoW decides to set Vsync to 60 no matter settings of Display or WoW while screen forces 144hz causing all sorts of weird shit.

Since i play with Vsync it was easy to spot how raid went from 50-70 fps /144Hz in combat to choppy as fuck 30-40 with max 60Hz vsync out of nowhere , had it happen so many times it doesnt even bother me anymore i simply fix it.

I'll research this a bit more, and try out my 60hz monitor to see if there are any differences if my performance drops again. Thank you for your comment.

Welcome to a 12 year old game that uses like 2 threads. I have a 4.8 & dual 1080ti and get dips below 60 in a few places. Unavoidable as unless your running a super low reso or pure trash you'll always be CPU bottlenecked.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    16GB Ram, i7 4790k 4.ghz, nvidia geforce gtx970, 144 hz monitor., 2 other monitors but unhooking them does nothing.

I am experiencing some terrible framerate I believe for the specs I have. In the outdoor world, I play on the 8 preset with SSAO disabled, anti-aliasing off, vsync off, fullscreen, low shadows, and i get anyway from 60-260 FPS. The range is wildly inconsistent, one second I could have 200 fps, the next I could have 40 in the exact same area, or by changing my camera angle a milimeter. I was experiencing even worse frames before I changed my render scaling to 140%, my power to high preformance, and my pci express(i believe) to maximum preformance as well. My GPu was using roughly 20% of it's resources, and after I swapped the render scaling, it went to about 50-60% and ran much better. I am okay with my outdoor framerate, however, I'd prefer for it to be consistent.

The real problem happens when I enter raids. Regardless of my settings (seriously, 1 preset is almost identical to having it on 10) I hover around 30-50 fps. This is pretty bewildering to me. I feel like I should absolutely have more framerate at 1 preset with my above specs or most players wouldn't be able to raid at all. My Gpu usage is around 30% in the current lfr I'm in, and im barely pushing 40fps.

Any ideas on what could be causing the drastically fluctuating fps or why my raid FPS is so abysmal?

No programs are running in the background that are taking my resources, my temperatures are fine 55 for GPU and 40 for CPU in game. Cpu usagehovers around 30%, ram and swap both around 50% or so.

I have the newest drivers.
    This fixed a problem i had in wow with black screen and weird FPS drops. Don't know if it will fix your problem, but it's worth a try
    how to disable the geforce experience share in game overlay
    Im now almost allways at Vsync 120Hz except some dips to 50-55 in some places. My settings are 7 and render scale at 100%

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Interim View Post
    Welcome to a 12 year old game that uses like 2 threads. I have a 4.8 & dual 1080ti and get dips below 60 in a few places. Unavoidable as unless your running a super low reso or pure trash you'll always be CPU bottlenecked.
    But he is dropping to 30 FPS and lower and that should not happen with he's system
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Deleted
    I'll research this a bit more, and try out my 60hz monitor to see if there are any differences if my performance drops again. Thank you for your comment.
    I had this too a while back. Alt tabbing back and forth a few times fixed it.

It went away after a nvidia driver update a month or two ago.