Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

So what replaced Thal'dranath?

Hey there,

we've known for a while that Thal'Dranath, an island west of Stormheim, got scrapped during development. Since it was as big as a normal zone, it's safe to assume that it was going to be the center of a big content patch.

The reasoning for the removal was "We replaced it with something that's not another isles with elven ruins"

That was almost a year ago. With Patch 7.2 being released and 7.3 to be confirmed as Argus, I can't wrap my head around this "replacing" argument. Both Argus and the Broken Shore seemed to be safe bets for content from the get go, so I don't think they meant either of those options when talking about the replacement. But there was always that one content patch, that slightly shifted away from the main baddie of the expansion. ( Very slightly! )
    Ulduar, Firelands, Throne of Thunder, that sort of thing. Thal'dranath would have fit perfectly in there, I think. But since Argus seems to be very final for Legion, I doubt we're going to see this "replacement" at all.

Am I missing something here?

Deleted
    Broken Shore

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess Broken Shore was OR Thaldranath is the now whatever Argus is.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

7+ Year Old Account
    My guess is Argus. Broken Shore wouldn't make to much sense since its not to much cooler then things we've seen before its not bad but yeah.

Deleted
    What is it with Blizzard and always showing some god forsaken island on a map for the new expansion. Then cutting it out which in turn creates a shit storm.

Broken Shore/ToS moved into its place, and Argus came in.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

They scrapped it for Argus (unless it's being used for something after Argus). Also, in terms of lore, Thal'Dranath was the original name for the Broken Shore (prior to the Sundering).

Quote Originally Posted by Peskre View Post
    What is it with Blizzard and always showing some god forsaken island on a map for the new expansion. Then cutting it out which in turn creates a shit storm.
    Things get cut. It happens. It's only a big deal because people make it one.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

I don't believe they scrapped it for Argus. Argus seems like something that's pretty much set in stone and not just something you come up with while looking for a replacement for an island.

Either they weren't originally planning on making an Argus patch, and replaced Thal'Dranath with it, or they did and Thal'Dranath was scrapped with no replacement in sight. Broken Shore cannot be its replacement, as it was already part of the map, and they reasoned that they were scrapping it for something new, which Broken Shore isn't.

This "Thal'dranath is the Broken Shore" thing is something they came up with after scrapping Thal'dranath. Both places co-existed in alpha/beta for a while.

Maybe it was ToV and Return to Karazhan.

Quote Originally Posted by Phinx View Post
    This "Thal'dranath is the Broken Shore" thing is something they came up with after scrapping Thal'dranath. Both places co-existed in alpha/beta for a while.
    There was a small island called Broken Shore but I'm not sure it was a proper quest area at that point. As far as I know it was just the Tomb and a flight point, and the area used in the pre-launch scenario.

What people are saying is, the content planned for Thral'dranth got shifted over to the Broken Shore.

Argus, Broken shore was always there it just had no quests or anything so it wouldn't make sense to stop on Thal'dranath and then just fill the small island considering they said they had a "better idea". Most likely 7.2 would've been Thal'dranath and then 7.3 would've been the end of the expansion with Broken shore/Tomb. Argus might've been like a bonus raid after 7.3 or something to use in the future.
    Last edited by Raone; 2017-05-13 at 08:45 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    argus most likely as we allready knew we would have the broken shore
    seems unliekly they would have made that decision, then within only a few months made the concept, and work, all of 7.2 in that time, they know ahead of time, so yes it is most likely argus
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2017-05-13 at 08:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinx View Post
    Hey there,

we've known for a while that Thal'Dranath, an island west of Stormheim, got scrapped during development. Since it was as big as a normal zone, it's safe to assume that it was going to be the center of a big content patch.

The reasoning for the removal was "We replaced it with something that's not another isles with elven ruins"

That was almost a year ago. With Patch 7.2 being released and 7.3 to be confirmed as Argus, I can't wrap my head around this "replacing" argument. Both Argus and the Broken Shore seemed to be safe bets for content from the get go, so I don't think they meant either of those options when talking about the replacement. But there was always that one content patch, that slightly shifted away from the main baddie of the expansion. ( Very slightly! )
    Ulduar, Firelands, Throne of Thunder, that sort of thing. Thal'dranath would have fit perfectly in there, I think. But since Argus seems to be very final for Legion, I doubt we're going to see this "replacement" at all.

Am I missing something here?
    Yes, it's Argus. My theory is that Legion also was planned as 1 year/2 tiers expansion. In this scenario Broken Shore would be too small for last patch zone, so Tal'dranath would be extension of that. But after Warlords fiasco they decided to add another tier.

Beside, long before Blizzcon I remember that me and many others was telling that we will go to Argus in patch, but most people believed that Legion will end in Tomb and Argus will be next expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Yes, it's Argus. My theory is that Legion also was planned as 1 year/2 tiers expansion. In this scenario Broken Shore would be too small for last patch zone, so Tal'dranath would be extension of that. But after Warlords fiasco they decided to add another tier.

Beside, long before Blizzcon I remember that me and many others was telling that we will go to Argus in patch, but most people believed that Legion will end in Tomb and Argus will be next expansion.
    Legion was a three tier expansion at the Blizzcon they announced it with TD being in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    This:

That's right! Nothing!

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    argus broken shore would have had to be a thing either way because of the tomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Peskre View Post
    Like when they mentioned Farahlon and then cut it and a bunch of idiots were mad about Farahlon getting cut even though they had no idea what it actually would have included.
    Beta Club Brosquad