Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Question World of Warcraft Console Emulation

Hello! Having played World of Warcraft for a short amount of time as I am usually a console gamer, I've begun to wonder about the possibilities of bringing WoW to consoles. I've been trying to think of what it would take to make this possible, especially with all the keybinds that players rely on, as console controllers obviously do not have nearly as many buttons as a keyboard does.

Nevertheless I've considered that the use of the analog sticks in a scroll wheel style could work, and it seems like people have tried this type of thing before as I've seen through a quick search on Youtube.

I'm curious to see what the World of Warcraft and MMO community think about this idea of a console emulation, so I've put together a few questions I hoped a few people wouldn't mind answering:

Do you think that a console emulation for WoW would work in terms of game mechanics?

Do you think people would be interested in playing this version?

What other ways do you think could be used to bring WoW to consoles?

Would you be interested in playing a console version?

Would you be interested in playing a virtual reality version?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope you'll also be able to give it a quick response if you can.

No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.

I think WoW will work well with consoles if we add autotargeting and context-specific/chained abilities.

There are some complex combat Japanese ARPGs for consoles already, so WoW would fit right in.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    No, never ever wanna see WoW on consoles. Consoles already bring down the quality on a lot of PC games as is.

Theres some silly addons that let you control your game via a controller anyway.

If somebody can beat Dark Souls with a guitar controller, they can play WoW with a Dual Shock.
    That person sure as hell isn't going to be me.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW on consoles = forced dumbing down on PC.

No thanks.

Console games have always forced PC ports to be dumbed down because they don't want to make their precious machine look bad... I would rather Blizzard stay PC based even though Overwatch might signal me wrong and they could move to the console market. Sad times
    Last edited by Orby; 2017-05-22 at 09:41 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    No, the game has been dumbed down enough as it is, I don't want to see how much more would have to be removed to make it work on console.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

FFXIV is MUCH more complicated than the current version of wow, more buttons, skill sequences, etc and works just fine on console/with gamepad. Don't see why people think wow would need to be dumbed down to be on console >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    FFXIV is MUCH more complicated than the current version of wow, more buttons, skill sequences, etc and works just fine on console/with gamepad. Don't see why people think wow would need to be dumbed down to be on console >.>
    lol, no. Not quite.

15+ Year Old Account
    ESO and FFXIV do fine on consoles. I think they can easily find a target audience there, especially with the Scorpio coming out.

It'd just be an independent version from the PC version is all. I'd totally be fine with that.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    lol, no. Not quite.
    Your welcome to that opinion....Its factually wrong but you are welcome to it.

Ontopic: WoW can work just fine on current gen consoles (even more so Pro/Scorp). The question isn't if but is it worth it to blizzard to do it and only blizzard knows that.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

- - - Updated - - -

lol, no. Not quite.
    I play both, so yes quite. The amount of rotational buttons for some jobs just smashes whole CLASS rotations. And it all works just fine with a gamepad

Yes seeing as the final fantasy and eso games work well on console im sure wow would to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Your welcome to that opinion....Its factually wrong but you are welcome to it.

Ontopic: WoW can work just fine on current gen consoles (even more so Pro/Scorp). The question isn't if but is it worth it to blizzard to do it and only blizzard knows that.
    Probably someone who either didn't play FFXIV or only got to like 15...

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Probably someone who either didn't play FFXIV or only got to like 15...
    Right........
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    But then how would I click on rend?

Do you think that a console emulation for WoW would work in terms of game mechanics?
    There is an addon called ConsolePort that allows you to control WoW using console controller so it is doable but it would take some time to get used to it.

Do you think people would be interested in playing this version?
    Maybe some would, but general public would not, the game is old, poorly optimzed with very static combat that would not appeal to many console players.

What other ways do you think could be used to bring WoW to consoles?
    Just don't.

Would you be interested in playing a console version?
    No, I don't play on console.

Would you be interested in playing a virtual reality version?
    VR is a just gimmick like motion controllers were before. It would be interesting to travel around Azeroth using VR but not playing the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it could work, as others have said ESO and FFXIV do it pretty well. Problem is they would have to massively improve tab targetting. Also Raids in WoW are much more complicated than in FFXIV and require a lot more precision, so i don't see Mythic being a thing unless they nerfed it to compensate.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'd do virtual reality version of the game just so i could be with Jaina every day and keep her safe from those that wanna kill her.
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396