Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Let me explain something to you basement creatures that take every chance they have to bash this game. These results ARE FOR THE FREAKING CHALLENGE APPEARANCE aka it only counts the people that have gotten their appearance and logged OUT WITH IT. This has NOTHING I repeat NOTHING to do with the amount of subs (which is probably at least double this cause most of WoW player base is the low ilvl ''I have no time to play'' forum sitter). So before you waste your time posting pointless stuff learn to read properly.

I got a friend whose uncle knows a chinese guy who leaked the real number: it's 3'638'489 active sub.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    Do you think this accurate ?
    Nope, I don't think that is accurate, for we're unable to get a clear number.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Let me do a number crunch real quick...I'm coming up with 32.3...uh repeating of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugetsuu View Post
    Let me explain something to you basement creatures that take every chance they have to bash this game. These results ARE FOR THE FREAKING CHALLENGE APPEARANCE aka it only counts the people that have gotten their appearance and logged OUT WITH IT. This has NOTHING I repeat NOTHING to do with the amount of subs (which is probably at least double this cause most of WoW player base is the low ilvl ''I have no time to play'' forum sitter). So before you waste your time posting pointless stuff learn to read properly.
    4.5 million def does not have their challenge appearance. 4.5 million is just a sample size thats why u see 1-5% of that 4.5 million have their artifact appearance. So before you waste your time posting pointless stuff learn to read properly.

Whatever the figure, half of it are bots and AFK'ers.

10+ Year Old Account
    People like me aren't going to help these numbers either, 14 level 110s all logged in at least once a week.
    In relation to challenge appearance though, I haven't done a single one yet and am not in a particular hurry to do so

I can confirm these numbers my cousin's friend works at Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
    4.5 million def does not have their challenge appearance. 4.5 million is just a sample size thats why u see 1-5% of that 4.5 million have their artifact appearance. So before you waste your time posting pointless stuff learn to read properly.
    ''Today we are taking a look at the number of characters that have the Artifact Challenge appearance equipped.

This data set includes 4.5 million Level 110 characters active in the last month, across the US and EU.''

Read this before you reply to me again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Characters? Sure. I had every class at max level, I know many others that do too.

It'd probably put the subs at around 1M-2M which is more than blizzard deserve, but a huge drop off from the 5.4M they had last report.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    They have enough subs to justify a 100+ person dev team ...that's more than almost any AAA title such as Grand theft auto or Battlefield has ...wow is still making $$ ...they will never go back to the WOLK days because they turned this game into a grind like vanilla instead of a loot fest like wotlk ...good job HC's you made it so only you no lifers want to play ...happy ?
    Very big waste of manpower I have to say.

''Today we are taking a look at the number of characters that have the Artifact Challenge appearance equipped.

This data set includes 4.5 million Level 110 characters active in the last month, across the US and EU.''

Read this before you reply to me again.
    But he is right, if the chart only showed characters with the Artifact Challenge, the numbers would be higher, and the sum of them would be 100%. Each bar is its own percentage, the remaining 90%~ of each would be characters of that class at 110 who didn't log out with the Artifact Challenge skin equipped.

It's just a sample size. It's like saying "out of 100 people who own a car in New York, 20 own an electric one" and have someone say "ONLY 100 PEOPLE HAVE A CAR IN NEW YORK!" or even "THERE ARE ONLY 100 PEOPLE IN NEW YORK!". The armory is an unreliable tool for measuring the current population of the game, it's always been.
    Last edited by Soulwind; 2017-05-15 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    Do you think this accurate ?
    Oh for fucks sake...this information is available through the armory so of course it is accurate.

We could know for sure if we used the Blizzard armory API. Simply download all the characters and their activity feeds, and look at the dates of those activities.

We have no idea if this is what the OP did, but it'd what I would do. You'd need the correct permissions from Blizzard though, because the services are protected with SAML. That might get tricky. I hope someone does it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    But he is right, if the chart only showed characters with the Artifact Challenge, the numbers would be higher, and the sum of them would be 100%.

It's just a sample size. It's like saying "out of 100 people who own a car in New York, 20 own an electric one" and have someone say "ONLY 100 PEOPLE HAVE A CAR IN NEW YORK!" or even "THERE ARE ONLY 100 PEOPLE IN NEW YORK!". The armory is an unreliable tool for measuring the current population of the game, it's always been.
    My whole point wasn't the sample size itself, it was the fact that people actually thought this were sub numbers which made me cringe so much. I can see that my wording of might have made you think I said that EXACTLY that many people have it. I am sure more people have it I just wanted to point out that everyone that thought these were sub numbers didn't read it properly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Characters? Sure. I had every class at max level, I know many others that do too.

It'd probably put the subs at around 1M-2M which is more than blizzard deserve, but a huge drop off from the 5.4M they had last report.
    I can confirm this to be 100% legit validated my cat used to work at blizzard too and pulled some strings.

.. nobody knows, all I know is I enjoy the game a lot and have plenty of others to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Alassiel View Post
    But Legion is doing so good, it's the best we've ever had!
    That has fuck all to do with the topic of this thread.

My whole point wasn't the sample size itself, it was the fact that people actually thought this were sub numbers which made me cringe so much. I can see that my wording of might have made you think I said that EXACTLY that many people have it. I am sure more people have it I just wanted to point out that everyone that thought these were sub numbers didn't read it properly.
    Ok, I see it now.

Then the correct phrasing would be: Out of a sample of 4.5M active players, 0-5% have logged out with their Artifact Challenge skin, and thus have unlocked it. The remaining 95-99% may or may not have unlocked it. The rest of the active playerbase is not included in the survey.

Even if it's "as low as 4.5M" which isn't low at all, aye? What does it matter really? That's more than enough to keep content coming and keep the game alive.

The MMO brand is a lot weaker nowadays than it has been the past 10 years, that's just the fact of things. People who grew playing MMOs are older now with responsibilities and busy life so they went casual or quit altogether. Another possibility could be just chilling and playing some other multiplayer games instead of turned to single player games, and the newer generation of gamers prefer casual simple stuff, as been said - low effort high reward stuff and MMOs are the exact opposite of that.

Deleted
    is 4.5 million not alot then?