Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Will Trump ever stop giving early Christmas presents to his opponents? My god.

I just wish he would do so in a manner that didn't annihilate our credibility along with his own. But I guess this is like the difference between getting an XBOne and a PS4.

Trump does not care, there are no checks and balances the republican controlled congress has no balls they have chosen party over country.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Obama got grilled for saluting holding a coffee, the right would be having a giant boner and filling impeachment proceedings if he did even 1/100th of the things Trump has done.
    The best part of the whole "latte salute" was one of the fox talking heads was lecturing about "respecting the solders" then an hour later refereed to a female solder as "boobs on the ground"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    He does. That's not at issue. The issue is the wisdom, how proper it was and the implication. I offered I think an accurate analogy earlier.

In 2013 Obama had the OPTION as CnC to bomb Syria over the Red Line or not. He was not obligated to, except to defend America's word when it comes to doing-what-it says. And when Obama didn't, many of our allies freaked out: if our word over Chemical weapons was not to be defended, does that mean American security garantees to them are a bluff we'll wiggle out of? America is still repairing that damage. It will be for years to come.

This is similar in the sense that Trump could spill to the Russians this info, but this was also intel provided not by US sources, but by an ally, who chose to share it with us. We had not shared it with close allies... it was an enormous secret in the US apparently, and we ALSO did not inform the ally that collected the intel that we were going to share it (or share it with the Russians). The implication of this is: America cannot be trusted with secrets you provide to it. So why should countries do it any longer?

Trump had a right to do this most likey. But this was intelligence-suicide. If the Obama case has implications for our "good word", this has dramatic implications for our ability as a country to be trusted with secrets that our friends VOLUNTEER to share with us. Again, it is not a US spy in ISIS, it is an ally's. It is their man/men in jeopardy. So why should they help us now?
    Right. This isn't about whether this was legal; the President does have the authority to declassify stuff basically at will, and without needing to file anything beforehand. It's meant so that the President can act in closed-door meetings without having to ask permission first, if the interests of the United States make doing so necessary.

The issue here is that nothing about this makes this look remotely advantageous to the USA in any way whatsoever. It benefits an adversary, and gains the USA nothing. Indeed, it hurts their relationships not just with the ally they fucked over by leaking their intelligence, but all their allies, who will be far less likely to trust the Americans with anything in the future, since Trump has shown you won't keep secrets if you can brag about them for no reason whatsoever.

And that's grounds for impeachment, if Congress gives enough of a collective shit.

Obama got grilled for saluting holding a coffee, the right would be having a giant boner and filling impeachment proceedings if he did even 1/100th of the things Trump has done.
    Well Obama did help completely destroy Libya and pretty much got a complete pass for it. Even Trump hasn't accomplished that yet and I hate the guy.
    Last edited by matt4pack; 2017-05-16 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Right. This isn't about whether this was legal; the President does have the authority to declassify stuff basically at will, and without needing to file anything beforehand. It's meant so that the President can act in closed-door meetings without having to ask permission first, if the interests of the United States make doing so necessary.

The issue here is that nothing about this makes this look remotely advantageous to the USA in any way whatsoever. It benefits an adversary, and gains the USA nothing. Indeed, it hurts their relationships not just with the ally they fucked over by leaking their intelligence, but all their allies, who will be far less likely to trust the Americans with anything in the future, since Trump has shown you won't keep secrets if you can brag about them for no reason whatsoever.

And that's grounds for impeachment, if Congress gives enough of a collective shit.
    It's interesting how silent all parties are right now from congress. Even Schiff, Graham, etc haven't fired anything off. Just the typical deeply disturbing comment from McCain that he posts 5 days a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    Well Obama did help completely destroy Libya and pretty much got a complete pass for it. Even Trump hasn't accomplished that yet.
    Well some parts of Republicans don't mind some good ol fashioned war.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Well Obama did completely destroy Libya and pretty much got a complete pass for it. Even Trump hasn't accomplished that yet.
    I am not sure what reality you live in, destroying countries is what American presidents do, we're always at war.

Can you imagine if it was Trump that left a country in that state what the media would do to him?
    You mean like giving him praise for dropping the biggest bomb on Afghanistan no that would never happen
    Last edited by Draco-Onis; 2017-05-16 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    It's interesting how silent all parties are right now from congress. Even Schiff, Graham, etc haven't fired anything off. Just the typical deeply disturbing comment from McCain that he posts 5 days a week.
    They're scared shitless right now.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    Yeah, I think party leadership on all sides has largely told their people to shut the fuck up while they figure out how their respective sides will handle this. Seems like they're very much waiting for more details to come out before acting, especially I'd imagine on the GOP side. If things look remotely defensible, they'll back him...for now. If things continue to spiral downwards the way they're going now...they'll probably be looking to distance themselves real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Is he testifying publicly? I know he refused to do a closed doors session and said he wants to do a public hearing, but I didn't know he'd agreed to a day already.

- - - Updated - - -

Get this bullshit outta here.
    The Frothing continues!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    The Frothing continues!
    And the meaningless comments.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Well Obama did help completely destroy Libya and pretty much got a complete pass for it. Even Trump hasn't accomplished that yet and I hate the guy.
    America was just the muscle. Obama was reluctant in libya... a French/UK led war. Remember "lead from behind"? Yeah. Obama bombed libya, but he was about as enthusiastic about it as a prostate exam.

Large swathes of Congress however, were as outraged by Obama's "Lead from Behind" bullshit (and rightfully so, as a matter of principle). If we were going to bomb Libya, they wanted us to take the reigns.

There was very little opposition to bombing Libya in general though.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    America was just the muscle. Obama was reluctant in libya... a French/UK led war. Remember "lead from behind"? Yeah. Obama bombed libya, but he was about as enthusiastic about it as a prostate exam.

Large swathes of Congress however, were as outraged by Obama's "Lead from Behind" bullshit (and rightfully so, as a matter of principle). If we were going to bomb Libya, they wanted us to take the reigns.

There was very little opposition to bombing Libya in general though.
    Obama also didn't believe the standing AUMF didn't pertain to the situation asked to Senate for an updated authorization of force, cause you know he was a mom's jeans tyrant dictator and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yeah, I think party leadership on all sides has largely told their people to shut the fuck up while they figure out how their respective sides will handle this. Seems like they're very much waiting for more details to come out before acting, especially I'd imagine on the GOP side. If things look remotely defensible, they'll back him...for now. If things continue to spiral downwards the way they're going now...they'll probably be looking to distance themselves real quick.
    It's been assumed they'll back off from him doing stupid shit about a dozen stupid shits ago.

They're going to keep backing him. They're going to get their shit kicked in the elections.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    So how is Donnie going to deflect?

Fat Boy in NK just launched a new rocket, maybe Donnie will threaten NK?

The Muslim Ban appeal isn't looking good but always good for deflecting bad press.

Maybe Spicey will be fired to take over the news cycle for the day.

Have Conway do a press tour, distract the nation with new memes!

Or he could say that Obama told him it was okay to give info to the Russians. Yeah, Obama set him up!

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    So how is Donnie going to deflect?

Fat Boy in NK just launched a new rocket, maybe Donnie will threaten NK?

The Muslim Ban appeal isn't looking good but always good for deflecting bad press.

Maybe Spicey will be fired to take over the news cycle for the day.

Have Conway do a press tour, distract the nation with new memes!

Or he could say that Obama told him it was okay to give info to the Russians. Yeah, Obama set him up!
    Or he could do something even more outrageous to distract from all the heat, at this point if he ran around the white house lawn naked it wouldn't surprise me.

BBC has this pretty prominently in their story

"This story is false," said Dina Powell, deputy national security adviser for strategy, who was in the meeting. "The president only discussed the common threats that both countries faced."
    Mr Trump's National Security Advisor, Gen HR McMaster, also said the story was false."

Not sure where that puts the story as a whole.

7+ Year Old Account
    Or he could do something even more outrageous to distract from all the heat, at this point if he ran around the white house lawn naked it wouldn't surprise me.
    Oh god, I really didn't need that mental image.

Maybe they'll all commit ritual suicide and regain their honor?

So, Trump is pretty much Edward Snowden now? Maybe Russia will offer him asylum when his term is over too.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.