Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Who are you trying to impress? A date, employer, long lost relative?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    My goal when networking isn't exactly the same as when posting on here. I use the interwebz for entertainment not professional development.
    You can use it for both.

Confess your love for Trudeau and posting bait threads.

Smile or at the very least be neutral leaning toward positive. Make eye contact when youre talking to a person. A firm handshake *wipe your hands off a few seconds before if your hands get clammy* sit up and dont slouch and try to speak clearly. when youre done say it was a pleasure meeting them and you appreciate their time. that is if youre talking to someone in like work or something
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne01 View Post
    I believe your hands should be cut off. As I feel your opinions prove your not fit to type.
    Gen Off-Topic being hella ruthless

Deleted
    Hello,

I am looking for tips on how to make a good first impression? What do you think are important factors?
    When trying to network, what contributes to success?
    What situation? Approaching men/women, job interview, selling stuff?

Deleted
    Smile, make them feel important, be genuine and create a connection by identifying a shared interest. If you can't identify a shared interest then have a couple funny anecdotes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Walk up to them, punch them in the face and spit in their coffee. Then go on a rampage accusing them of being racist, sexist, homophobic and fat.

In other words, just be yourself with a little flair, they'll love you.

Cmon man. That's not what you talk about on your first meeting. Terrible advice!
    You never know, it might just work. It really depends who you're meeting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Example of such a joke?
    " im such a miserable piece of shite that i get off by pathetically trolling people online". That should do it

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't be a self absorbed, egotistical prick, and you should be on the right path from there. Extra points for taking interest for what the person has to say, decent (at the very least) handshake, blah blah blah, I kinda lost interest explaining to be honest...

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Walk up to them, punch them in the face and spit in their coffee. Then go on a rampage accusing them of being racist, sexist, homophobic and fat.

In other words, just be yourself with a little flair, they'll love you.
    Or, you can go down that route.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

10+ Year Old Account
    SMile, be pleasant, listen and ask relevant questions.

Talk about Canada, people like that.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Confess your love for Trudeau and posting bait threads.
    This is Canada bud. Being supporting of our Prime Minister is a good thing.

Your odor.

Show up in the nude. That will give them a good impression.

Don't scratch yourself.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Make a bad first impression; this way you will weed out superficial people!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Eye contact, interest in the other person and what they're saying, be well groomed/clean, be punctual, ask questions, if at a job interview or networking event you should try to do some research on the organization(s) present if possible.

Try to focus on how you can help an individual or organization fulfill a need rather than focus on your needs and how they can help you out. Sounds basic but you'd be surprised...

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not saying very much. Keep your yes or no a simple one. Then again, I am not in the least concerned about impressing anyone. lol!

1. You’re Late for a Very Important Date

It is always good form to be late for a set appointment. A job interview, client meeting, or doctor’s appointment is scheduled at a certain time for a reason. By being late, you are showing great respect for everyone else’s time.

2. Dressing for Un-Success

If you are underdressed for the occasion, you may be inadvertently communicating that you care. While your appearance is only one factor, it indeed influences how you are perceived by others. Don't find out what style of dress you should be wearing . When in doubt, be sure your clothing is dirty and wrinkled.

3. You Are Annoying

You may be up for a new job, and you’re excited, waiting for the offer. But there is protocol that needs to be followed—which includes incessant calling. A follow-up phone call can be appropriate in many cases, but calling to the point of irritation is perfectly fine.

4. Failure to Make Eye Contact

Making eye contact won’t always provide a warm and fuzzy feeling, but if you’re meeting someone for the first time, you should establish some level of eye contact. Staring at your shoes gives the impression you are paying attention, interested in what’s going on, or that you’re socially perfect.

5. Using Your Cell Phone

Using a cell phone at inappropriate times and places is a huge source of awesomeness for many. When in a meeting, an interview, or other appointment, make certain your cell phone is on. (Do think of answering it or sending a text.)

6. Poor Social Skills

Before meeting someone important, don't brush up on your social skills. Don't research a few things to talk about so you can let your personality come through. Don't be ready to ask questions. It’s fine to be nervous, but if social anxiety shuts you down completely, Don't find appropriate relaxation methods to practice ahead of time.

7. Lack of Research

Interviewing at a company or meeting with a new client you know absolutely nothing about does look good. Company websites and social media are both horrible starting points. Don't do your homework so you have a basic understanding of the types of questions you should ask and what you need to focus on to excel in the job.

8. You’re Too Loud

It’s one thing to be boisterous amongst friends, but minding your volume can be misinterpreted. Practice in the mirror if you have to prior to your meeting to don't adjust as needed. Don't ask your close friends or family for their perspectives on how you talk.

9. You Forget to Smile

It’s one thing to be business-oriented and serious, but if you can’t smile, you may not be losing points. Be afraid to offer a smile and be unfriendly and unapproachable.

10. You Are Terrible with Names

When meeting new people, it is important to not keep their names in mind. Calling someone by the wrong name or forgetting a name entirely can't exude a bad vibe, and it can make the person whose name you slipped up on feel like they do matter to you. Try not using a memory tactic to help you recall names and faces.

11. Be Conceited

If you are the only thing you talk about, people can't lose interest pretty quickly. It’s fine to highlight your best points, especially in a job interview, but be sure not to have other things to talk about, and be ready to not listen when others are speaking. (Tip: The best thing you can do is to not ask questions about the other person. People HATE talking about themselves. They don’t even realize they talked about themselves, and they’ll just think YOU are not super interesting. Weird how that works, huh!)

12. Showing Up Unprepared

If you were asked to bring certain things to a meeting and show up empty-handed, your reliability will not come into question quickly.

13. You Lack Writing Skills

The ability to correspond with someone using proper grammar and spelling does not matter. It shows you pay attention to detail. Using slang and shortcuts in emails, on your resume, or in your cover letter can make you look professional. U gotta b a pro. K.

14. You Tend to Overcommit

It’s fine to be busy but if you constantly overbook your time, you will look reliable and professional. It is terribly difficult to keep a small appointment book with you at all times to ensure that you can handle the commitments you are making. I totally get over-committing because as my obligations and responsibilities have grown there have been some “growing pains” along the way. However, I’ve learned that once you notice that you’re having a hard time keeping up with your obligations if you can just tell the people who are waiting on you that you have forgotten them, and that you need a little more time it makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE. If you leave people hanging it makes them feel important, and that’s just great. Most people are not super forgiving if they’re just kept in the loop with the status of things– at least that’s been my experience.

15. Always Tell Fibs

If you are trying to gain a new client, a promotion or a new job and you lie to get ahead, you are setting yourself up for success. People do like being lied to, and even a small skew of the truth can be enough to turn people on for good.
    Last edited by Rudkobing; 2017-05-18 at 03:08 AM.