Page 39 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Was that after the Captain had their pleas for help played on the ship wide broadcast?
    I'm talking about her being against the spores being weaponized and the episode after she plays a long like nothing ever happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    I'm talking about her being against the spores being weaponized and the episode after she plays a long like nothing ever happened.
    I think you are partly right, she didn't want the spores to be weaponized then the captain told her it wasn't for a weapon it was for teleporting a whole ship and she was more okay with that.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I think you are partly right, she didn't want the spores to be weaponized then the captain told her it wasn't for a weapon it was for teleporting a whole ship and she was more okay with that.
    And the next episode he introduces her to "the ripper" something that at first seemed he wanted to keep secret and she suddenly goes "alright i'll help research it into a weapon", he literally says to weaponize it more then once even.

So this really makes no sense from a story telling point of view, either that or she really has no real set of values what is weird considering the whole vulcan, startrek first officer background.

Oh well goof in writing i guess.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to start this off by saying that I like the show for what it is, and I'm going to continue giving it a chance since it always takes Trek at least a season to find its footing, but the entire time I'm watching I can't help but feel like I'm on a constant roller coaster ride of "This is great!" and "WTF IS THIS!?!" I'm not going to go into the things I like about the show, simply because I feel if the following points are fixed/addressed then the show could actually be pretty damn amazing.

- While I'm personally not a fan of the departure from the episodic style of the previous shows, I can give it a pass here since this is supposed to portray the war with the Klingons. However, the pacing just feels way off. For instance, the whole Corvan 2 thing. All of that happened WAY too quickly. They should have devoted an entire episode at least to just that, and that alone.

- I know I'm beating a dead horse with this one too, but, "muh Klingons". To change something this drastically, which is so iconic to a franchise just for the sake of change is pretty dumb, especially when there was already a design in place that people love. All that time and money spent on something that DID NOT NEED IT. Don't even get me started on how they talk.

- Holy lens flares, bloom and 45 degree camera angles Batman! JJ sends his regards.

- SM-G's acting feels forced and unnatural. I did not like her in Walking Dead, I do not like her in this. If she wasn't supposed to be the main character I could probably give it a pass, but it's obnoxious to behold all the time.

- Why is everyone so bloody confrontational? Everyone except the captain feels like they have a chip off their shoulder. These guys are supposed to be Section 31 (Only basing this off of the black insignia that were shown and commented on. If not Section 31, then at the very least the pinnacle of their respective fields), not teenage cadets.

- Lastly, just a minor gripe, but why the removal of the red/yellow/blue uniform designations. Even Enterprise incorporated that into their jumpsuits.

All in all, I still like the show, and I'm still going to give it a chance, but there's just a lot that doesn't feel right. The points I made, at least for me, are the major thorns in its side.

Offtopic, but The Orville managed to completely nail the formula, feeling, atmosphere and spirit of the Trek that I've grown to love since I was a kid. Obviously, not talking about some of the writing.
    Last edited by Rhokzor; 2017-10-09 at 06:45 PM.

That had to be one of the worst and dumbest ship-fight scenes in scifi history. No idea what their goal was. It didn't even look good.

7+ Year Old Account
    Just saw episode 4 and I'm getting more impressed.

Klingon treachery, Space above and beyond moments, an enigmatic Captain, the good old planet-in-distress cliche, a naive crewman with wisdom, excellent visuals serving a purpose, spore slipstream drive, a security chief that was in fact a red shirt in disguise and a nice looking chief medical officer. It was quite a show - that almost feels like a movie. There are a few things I didn't like but those are minor. One thing I will mention is the pacing. The old shows had plenty of times where you see a decor while listening to the background space noise and watch slow interactions between the crewmembers. The new pace is a tad overwhelming. In any case, looking forward to the interpersonal conflicts and the ongoing war.

PS Was thinking about the Klingons. In older shows they were enjoyable but I always would see them as people with make up acting as Klingons. In Discovery they really look like menacing Klingon-aliens. I think it's a very good touch to make them look diffeent and let them speak in their native tongue. Guessing that they will grow on people eventually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhokzor View Post
    Offtopic, but The Orville managed to completely nail the formula, feeling, atmosphere and spirit of the Trek that I've grown to love since I was a kid.
    There's a reason for that. Orville is using people that have done the prime universe Star Trek before. Johnathan Frakes, Brannon Braga and Robert Duncan McNeil are just some of the familiar names associated with behind-the-scenes production. In contrast, Paramount/CBS's mandate ever since the 2009 Star Trek film is that NO ONE who worked on Star Trek before gets to work on Star Trek anymore (the one exception was Leonard Nimoy, of course). In other words, STD is helmed by folks who don't know what they're doing.*

*Unless, as previously stated, STD is actually about Section 31... which would be their get-out-of-jail-free-card for a lot of us who don't like the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    In contrast, Paramount/CBS's mandate ever since the 2009 Star Trek film is that NO ONE who worked on Star Trek before gets to work on Star Trek anymore (the one exception was Leonard Nimoy, of course). In other words, STD is helmed by folks who don't know what they're doing.
    Johnathan Frakes is directing at least one episode of Discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    And the next episode he introduces her to "the ripper" something that at first seemed he wanted to keep secret and she suddenly goes "alright i'll help research it into a weapon", he literally says to weaponize it more then once even.

So this really makes no sense from a story telling point of view, either that or she really has no real set of values what is weird considering the whole vulcan, startrek first officer background.

Oh well goof in writing i guess.
    The spores would have been a WMD.
    Learning the creature's combat strengths is not comparable.

In contrast, Paramount/CBS's mandate ever since the 2009 Star Trek film is that NO ONE who worked on Star Trek before gets to work on Star Trek anymore (the one exception was Leonard Nimoy, of course).
    People who, in any other context, you would no doubt be blaming for doing so much damage to the franchise prior to 2009 that the studio felt it needed to go in a different direction in order to salvage a tiny bit of its relevance. This is assuming, of course, that your assertion has even the slightest bit of truth behind it.

*Unless, as previously stated, STD is actually about Section 31... which would be their get-out-of-jail-free-card for a lot of us who don't like the show.
    that is actually one of the only ways i can enjoy the show as a Trek show.. either Section 31 is off on their on. or i pretend its really after the dominion war or alt. universe trek. The tech just kills any sense that this is prime universe Trek.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Enjoy the show so far, was happy the big monster thing killed the security chief, kind of felt bad for the thing being used for experiments, it looked so cute playig with the spoores.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Johnathan Frakes is directing at least one episode of Discovery.
    We'll see.

10+ Year Old Account
    So far, as a long time trek fan (I literally grew up on it), the first couple episodes were a little rough. But... any pilot is. Especially something new. We haven't had a series in years.

That being said... I'm legitimately enjoying it. I always have loved the 'under the radar' trope. I'm excited to see where things go. So far it's ranking higher than Voyager for me.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    So far it's ranking higher than Voyager for me.
    Well, anything Star Trek should.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I'm finding STiscovery to have one major flaw, the Klingons speaking Klingon might go for some 'realism', but jeez it certainly takes away from the immersion and interest in their story lines at all.

Pretty much killing the whole show for me.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    I'm finding STiscovery to have one major flaw, the Klingons speaking Klingon might go for some 'realism', but jeez it certainly takes away from the immersion and interest in their story lines at all.
    I... Don't know.

I have mixed feelings about it.

On one hand, yeah, you're right. It does. But on the other, it makes them very much the 'aliens'. It sort of reminds me of the Chigs from Space: Above and Beyond (I know, right? Howdy 1995). Almost all communication was in their native. It gives a very visceral feel of "These are the outsiders". And Klingon in general is a rather threatening language all on its own (I do not know if Discovery uses traditional Klingon or not)

I gotta admit, though. The actors for the Klingons are superb. I could ignore the subtitles, and still get a feel for the emotion and idea of whats going on, especially between Voq and L'Rell.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Well, anything Star Trek should.
    I... I liked a few parts of Voyager. I also have a soft spot for it, because it was almost the only thing I could watch while I had an injured back for about two months. Voyager and Deadliest Catch were pretty much all I could get on basic cable while being unable to move for weeks at a time nearly.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post

Pretty much killing the whole show for me.
    They sound pretty rough speaking Klingon. I'd imagine they'd sound much worse speaking English.

So far I'm enjoying it and i prefer to watch a flaw ST than nothing. i hope that each episode will be more interesting by now it is

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    They sound pretty rough speaking Klingon. I'd imagine they'd sound much worse speaking English.
    Not really, if we are meant to suspend our disbelief to read plan white text showing what they say, then it would be a far better approach to have them speaking with emotion and passion etc with some understandable English dialect.

Realism is fine for documentaries, but for drama/fiction you need to have immersion.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.