Page 15 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    How hard can it be to continue Star Trek in the Next Generation / Deep Space Nine / Voyager universe?

This is what most people want.

I'll likely watch the first season. If it sucks I doubt I'll come back for the second (assuming there is a second). Reviews or lack there of won't deter me from giving it a fair shake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well they aired the first episode of the show, and it was definitely a show, with characters and sets and everything. Pretty underwhelming.

Real Star Trek aired like 3 weeks ago. It was great. I love The Orville. Vote with your wallet/view. Give it to Orville instead since, despite being a parody, it actually feels fun and whimsical like Star Trek should.

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    Real Star Trek aired like 3 weeks ago. It was great. I love The Orville. Vote with your wallet/view. Give it to Orville instead since, despite being a parody, it actually feels fun and whimsical like Star Trek should.
    This post is funnier than anything the Orville has had on offer.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    well that's the one I'm watching as discovery completely failed to hook me.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    None of the jokes have stuck with me either, but the actual content within has. I am dead serious when I say it feels like Trek way more than this schlock CBS calls Star Trek.

None of the jokes have stuck with me either, but the actual content within has. I am dead serious when I say it feels like Trek way more than this schlock CBS calls Star Trek.
    I will grant that the people zoo and man planet episodes were good scifi concepts. I do think the Man planet would have been more compelling if the crew were the ones to have to reevaluate their values in contrast to another race, opposed to making the men stupid bomb happy jerks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    well that's the one I'm watching as discovery completely failed to hook me.
    Ehh, I'll still watch em both, shitty sci fi is still sci fi and its not like we get a lot of that.

Deleted
    Thank for proving again you have no taste.

I like Orville but I also liked these 2 episodes of ST
    (yes the look of the "klingons" is awfull .))

10+ Year Old Account
    The Klingon look was bad but their talking was worse, with that halted over-enunciated barking, they talked like the wheelchair kid from Malcolm in the Middle.

- - - Updated - - -

Wikipedia entry for the show briefly had "worst Star Trek ever" as part of the page header.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    The Klingon look was bad but their talking was worse, with that halted over-enunciated barking, they talked like the wheelchair kid from Malcolm in the Middle.
    The look bothers me most because I bet it will never be addressed. It will just be how Klings look now.

Other than crossing my fingers that they start ADRing the klingons' lines, I had no major complaints. Feels like they're trying to Battlestar Galactica-fy Star Trek, which I've got no problem with, I just hope they intersperse a little discovery amongst the dour wartime stuff.

Honestly, if the biggest criticism of the show is that they changed the design of the klingons for no apparent reason, I'd consider that a decent start. At least there's no godawful soft-rock theme song.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2017-09-25 at 06:19 AM.

IMO if they're going to make a series set in the original Trek timeline they should jump forward another hundred years or so. The Next Next Generation. It would be a handy way of reinvigorating the continuity and making it more accessible to newcomers.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Honestly, if the biggest criticism of the show is that they changed the design of the klingons for no apparent reason, I'd consider that a decent start. At least there's no godawful soft-rock theme song.
    I actually liked that theme :P
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2017-09-25 at 06:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I actually liked that theme :P
    It's one of those things that grows on you no matter how much you hate it... I'll just never forgive them for using it in the first place.
    The existence of this is just twisting the dagger:

Guitar riffs notwithstanding.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2017-09-25 at 06:30 AM.

Deleted
    Orville is way better than discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Waynhim View Post
    Well, we have the rest of the world as a market now, and the rest of the world isn't familiar with the differences in Star Trek universes.

Personally I've always been a huge sci-fi fan, but haven't seen any of the Star Trek series, mainly due to the fact that they never aired on TV in my country when they ran, and the fact that the special effects don't stand the test of time for me to bother now.

The hit and miss for me on this one is the storytelling, where at least I favour the B5, (season 2-4), and BG (2004), due to their focus on the long story, and not only stand-alone episodes.
    you have to be out of your mind if you think you cant watch star trek TNG/DS9 today. and what kind of special effects do you need? this is a show for your brain, not your eyes. i for one refuse to watch it. i will not support this alternative universe bullshit when we have the a perfectly good one. hell i'll donate money to their video game before this show.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rosebull View Post
    theres so much wrong with Discovery, i dont even know where to start? I definitely won't be giving them my viewer number.

The biggest thing is the fact this looks more like a Star Wars episode than Star Trek, its a prequel.

Stop being afraid to go beyond DS9 and Voyager...
    i think the problem right now is the video game is set 30years from voyager. they may have figured too many problems trying to tie them together (a new series and the game).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    You're right. The main character is not the captain, but the first officer. The show begins on the USS Shenzhou, commanded by Cpt. Philippa Georgiou, played by Michelle Yeoh. Then it goes to USS Discovery, commanded by Cpt. Gabriel Lorca, played by Jason Isaac. I like that the main character, Michael Burnham, is not the captain. It changes the focus of the show and will probably place the action closer to the rank-and-file of Starfleet. Although I suspect that she will end up being the captain. If the show survives it's own nitpicky fan-base, that is...

Personnaly, I prefer the Shenzhou, but I suppose that I will get to like the Discovery.
    why is there even a main character anyways? since TNG there hasn't been a main character. in TOS sure, you could say kirk was but i think they learned from that. i guess its a way to stir the liberal pot these days. look we have a black female lead, look at us. loooook damnit!

Makes me wonder how much people were pissed that they dared to have a black man in the captain's chair in DS9. Damn libruls ruining Star Trek!

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Makes me wonder how much people were pissed that they dared to have a black man in the captain's chair in DS9. Damn libruls ruining Star Trek!
    Or a women in Voyager

Pretty torn on this show so far. I'll wait a little to see how they continue with it. I find it more enjoyable than Voyager and Enterprise so far... but that's not hard.

So I just watched it, and I'd have to lie if I said I wasn't entertained. Actually, if it wasn't for those new Klingons and their retarded voice I would say I liked it. But their choking sounds and unfamiliar look makes it really hard to get get used to them, much more harder than I got used to the new TNG Klingons when they were introduced.
    A few things felt a bit strange, the federation court that made a cardassian tribunal look like a fun party, and some of the renderings (especially the maintenance robot zoom) that looked like they reused the Babylon 5 cgi.