Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Ultimately the goods are lower quality because the manufacturers believe that Eastern consumers are less discerning and that they can get away with it, so it makes sense to make a fuss over it just to raise consumer awareness.
    I can't find anything about food regulations that answer the question if member states can have different regulations, for example how much % hazelnut has to be in hazelnut creme. If there are differences between countries i could see how that's a reason for the quality, others might be du to cost of transportation and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Until multinational companies kill off local competitors in the rather small markets that most Eastern Europeans countries are, after which they can use the region as their dumping ground. We need more consumer awareness to counter this. There are good products to be had, but most people go for whatever is cheap (a lot of them not necessarily by choice).

As a side note, Nutella is often cited in these comparisons. SPAR's DeSpar brand hazelnut spread actually has a higher hazelnut content and is cheaper (and is just as good if not better), but as long as people only look for the brand name, they can be sold any junk.
    Again they can't do that if they're selling worse products at higher prices. Walmart and other Big Box stores function on the idea of selling lots of cheap good for very low prices. If they were to attempt to sell cheap good for more than the guy down the street, the guy down the street wouldn't go out of business!

I mean yeah, if they sold everything super low at first to run the other companies out of business, and then raised their prices, sure. But that's a regulatory issue.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    But that's a regulatory issue.
    The food quality is also a regulatory issue, i mean austria has 13 pages of regulation alone on cocoa and chocolate products.

I guess the real issue lies with countries not exactly caring all that much about regulations but demanding companies to sell higher quality food without requiring the same standards from local businesses. Just a guess, if not, then c/p the austrian groceries book, or the german version which might be even more detailed.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

I mean yeah, if they sold everything super low at first to run the other companies out of business, and then raised their prices, sure. But that's a regulatory issue.
    Yes, and there are regulations that make selling below cost illegal as a strategy to push others out of business..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Yes, and there are regulations that make selling below cost illegal as a strategy to push others out of business..
    Okay, so if companies aren't following the law, that's the local government's job to enforce yes?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Again they can't do that if they're selling worse products at higher prices. Walmart and other Big Box stores function on the idea of selling lots of cheap good for very low prices. If they were to attempt to sell cheap good for more than the guy down the street, the guy down the street wouldn't go out of business!

I'm not really worried about higher prices. People around here are super price-conscious. But for that exact reason it is bloody easy to dump whatever junk on them just by selling it a little cheaper. Even when it is not cheaper, like when someone started selling sour cream in 175g packages where the industry standard had been 200g. Lots of people only saw that one brand's sour cream is cheaper (when is was not gram for gram). This is where regulation can come in; it became mandatory to list per unit prices, but again, most people don't look for the fine print.

Also I believe logistics and uniformity of supply concerns outweigh quality, so consumers can mostly only choose from various brands of mass-produced mediocrity. This is not to say all stuff on the shelves is bad - there is enough competition, at least in the cities, to keep the goods at least decent. But it does limit consumer choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    The food quality is also a regulatory issue, i mean austria has 13 pages of regulation alone on cocoa and chocolate products.

I guess the real issue lies with countries not exactly caring all that much about regulations but demanding companies to sell higher quality food without requiring the same standards from local businesses. Just a guess, if not, then c/p the austrian groceries book, or the german version which might be even more detailed.
    Seems like the issue is that consumers are willing to pay a premium for Western brands under the presumption that they're getting the same product they would at a Western supermarket, when in reality it's a lower grade item. This is definitely a bit of a sketchy business practice, and is certainly not restricted to Europe, but ultimately it's the responsibility of consumers to be more discerning about what they buy.

Ultimately the goods are lower quality because the manufacturers believe that Eastern consumers are less discerning and that they can get away with it, so it makes sense to make a fuss over it just to raise consumer awareness.
    Precisely. Consumer awareness is the best counter unless you want to regulate the entire food market to death. It's sad that these issues have not been raised in earnest concern for consumers but as a political move. And we sure need more awareness because if manufacturers believe that Eastern consumers are less discerning, they are fucking right.

15+ Year Old Account
    Seems like the issue is that consumers are willing to pay a premium for Western brands under the presumption that they're getting the same product they would at a Western supermarket, when in reality it's a lower grade item. This is definitely a bit of a sketchy business practice, and is certainly not restricted to Europe, but ultimately it's the responsibility of consumers to be more discerning about what they buy.
    Or the country where these things are sold. Maybe they even have higher food standards than we are and complain about worse quality although it's actually healthier? I can't find a list of ingredients that could certainly answer a few questions.

Okay, so if companies aren't following the law, that's the local government's job to enforce yes?
    Anyones really, just sue them.
    Lawyers love cases such as these so I'm a bit suspicious about the fact that apparently none of them did bring them up, yet.
    Maybe there is obviously no evidence of wrongdoing?

Lawyers love cases such as these so I'm a bit suspicious about the fact that apparently none of them did bring them up, yet.
    Maybe there is obviously no evidence of wrongdoing?
    There is enough evidence, the problem is more that there is no wrongdoing according to the law.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    This entire thread is based on the fact that the bold part is NOT true. Your government conspires with your corporations to syphon money out of Eastern Europe and poison people with low quality garbage.

EU is predatory western multi-national companies, it would be best for Eastern Europe to create is own union, free from Germany/France.

This entire thread is based on the fact that the bold part is NOT true. Your government conspires with your corporations to syphon money out of Eastern Europe and poison people with low quality garbage.

You do realize that one reason those products are more expensive in the East is because they are imported there and cannot be sold below cost to protect local business. And when that was not enough to spin the narrative they picked a few special offers to get a bigger difference.
    And on top of that they even tried to slip in comparisons that aren't even in the same currency.
    So: Dishonest clip is dishonest.

Should I make a list how the discrepancies came to be?
    Last edited by Noradin; 2017-05-22 at 04:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dear Eastern Europe and many others in the rest of Europe

Most of your problems are your own fault. That is why things have hardly improved for you. You keep blaming others, thus the people in charge stay in power and nothing really changes. Good job.

You don't see a problem with Germans poisoning half of Europe?
    You see a problem with people becoming educated consumers and buying the best product for their money? Or would you like to be burped and have your nappy changed for you after you're spoonfed?

Deleted
    No, lawyers love money and the easier the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyman View Post
    No, lawyers love money and the easier the better.
    Exactly. Thus they love cases such as these--if there is a case, that is.

Deleted
    Only if someones paying them to take care of it and paying a lot.

This is a case where poor people are running against rich multinational juggernauts that control Brussels via corruption. It's a lost case so no one bothers to bring it up.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is a case where poor people are running against rich multinational juggernauts that control Brussels via corruption. It's a lost case so no one bothers to bring it up.
    What about your government, i mean they could be doing something, no?