Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    Everything necessary for the government to stifle innovation is written in those pages.
    What innovation?

The only thing that has changed/still changes about my service for TEN YEARS is that once or twice per year they arbitrarily raise my bill hoping I won't notice because "my deal expired" forcing me to call them, sit on hold for 30 minutes, and get a new "deal" that lowers the price back down to what I was paying.

Otherwise my internet has literally not changed at all in a decade.

The "free market" only fosters innovation and lower prices when there is actual fucking competition... You know... Business A offers 100mbit for $50... Business B offers 105mbit for $45 to take business A's business... Back and forth until eventually they are both offering the maximum speed they possibly can for the lowest price they can to maintain a profit.

For the vast majority of people, they have only one major ISP servicing their area and a bunch of slow and expensive local options.

So where is the innovation? The title II rules were in affect for the last year or two... So why in the thirty years of the internet before that did almost no "innovation" happen? Leaving us with massively inflated internet prices and absurdly slow speeds compared to pretty much every other developed nation on Earth?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    What innovation?

The only thing that has changed/still changes about my service for TEN YEARS is that once or twice per year they arbitrarily raise my bill hoping I won't notice because "my deal expired" forcing me to call them, sit on hold for 30 minutes, and get a new "deal" that lowers the price back down to what I was paying.

The "free market" only fosters innovation and lower prices when there is actual fucking competition... You know... Business A offers 100mbit for $50... Business B offers 105mbit for $45 to take business A's business... Back and forth until eventually they are both offering the maximum speed they possibly can for the lowest price they can to maintain a profit.

For the vast majority of people, they have only one major ISP servicing their area and a bunch of slow and expensive local options.

So where is the innovation? The title II rules were in affect for the last year or two... So why in the thirty years of the internet before that did almost no "innovation" happen? Leaving us with massively inflated internet prices and absurdly slow speeds compared to pretty much every other developed nation on Earth?
    I blame Steve jobs and apple for ruining the word Innovation. I kid I kid. Many who took a business 101 class have fell asleep after hearing supply and demand, but you clearly did not and actually understand what competition is. I wish more people actually understood that competition is what drives innovation, not simply existing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    Did you read the article I linked? It was not throttling and Comcast was in their rights to do so. If Netflix overloads a peering port, it is not Verizon's responsibility to give them even more resources without compensation. Nothing is free, particularly when VZ spent billions of their own money to build out their network.
    Internet access from Verizon is already bought, if Verizon can't provide the bought service then it's their fault, not Netflix. Verizon complaining about Netflix is like complaining about rush hour traffic, it's not the driver's fault there is traffic, it's the city's for having poor highways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    lol millions of people voicing their discomfort with it being abolished

FCC kills it regardless.

DEMUKRAZY
    It's already been confirmed that the US is no longer a Democracy but an Oligarchy. So calling it a Democracy now is objectively inaccurate by the very definition of the word.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    It's already been confirmed that the US is no longer a Democracy but an Oligarchy. So calling it a Democracy now is objectively inaccurate by the very definition of the word.
    It is not, and never has been, a Democracy.

The average shareholder has more say in the way a company is run, than the American public has over the FCC or any other appointed government agencies.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    What innovation?

The service is actually worse now than it was 10 years ago. I get slightly more bandwidth now, but the service drops at least twice a week because of maintenance. On top of its reliability suffering, every game I see worse pings and more fluctuations than I did 10 years ago. I used to get 62ms to wow, I get 97ms now. When lol moved to Chicago, I got 21ms, today I get 36ms. I live under 200 miles from Chicago on a direct route, yet my buddy who lives over twice as far away gets 18ms on google fiber. It isn't that I can specifically tell what the difference means while playing between 21 and 36, it just makes the game feel sluggish and there are fluctuations which cause little things like animation canceling to screw up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    slow speed but decent price. 300mb here costs me over $200/month but its also bundled with my cable tv and an useless home phone that i dont plug in.

its nice to have 3 people streaming video at one time and me playing a moba, not one person lagging
    I have 100/100 for about 30 bucks currently. Why are US prices so outrageous? Then again you guys have more money so idk

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Netflix worked, and then overnight it didn't until Netflix paid Comcast, then it worked again. You can spin that however you like.
    Well there's also the fact Netflix was throttling itself...
    http://www.insidesources.com/netflix-court-throttling/
    That’s the whole problem with net neutrality,” Spiwak said. “Broadband service providers should be allowed to do something of the same thing to deal with congestion” and avoid raising prices for network usage as an alternate means of alleviating cramped networks.

“The only thing you have left is price,” Spiwak said. “The net neutrality rule will probably inevitably lead to higher prices. That, I think, is the big takeaway from this.”
    I don't agree with his take away here, in fact I think it's a pretty idiotic statement since Netflix was potentially facing litigation for it. But this is the larger conversation corporations are having.