Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Do you think all criminals can be rehabilitated?

We'll use a recent story just for the sake of discussion:

http://www.wapt.com/article/boy-insi...-theft/9871713

Cliff Notes: Teens steal a car with a 6 year old in the back. Once they realized what has happened they shoot and kill the child.

I'm also curious if any charges are pending against the parent who left the child in the car in the first place.

That aside, I'm curious if anyone realistically thinks these teenagers can be rehabilitated, or at the very least, the shooter. If you do, why do you feel that way? Opinion or studies welcome.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2017-05-19 at 03:55 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    We'll use a recent story just for the sake of discussion:

http://www.wapt.com/article/large-to...146864/9875586

Cliff Notes: Teens steal a car with a 6 year old in the back. Once they realized what has happened they shoot and kill the child.

I'm also curious if any charges are pending against the parent who left the child in the car in the first place.
    No, I do not think all can be. Some are scumbags and will go to their grave as such. Because they choose to be that way. :P

I think most criminals can be rehabilitated; what I read in that story makes me think they can't or at least not the one who actually killed the kid.

I think rehabilitated has the same meaning to everyone even though it might seem like a simple thing in and of itself. No I don't think all people can be rehabilitated either. Some people are so psychologically, emotionally or spiritually damaged either as a result of things others did or due to their own self inflicted condition that they will never be able to properly function in society without posing a serious threat to those around them or without becoming predators who prey on women or children or whoever they like to victimize.

I think many could be, but certainly not all. I think it's doubtful that true psychopaths could ever be rehabilitated, since empathy works differently for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

The science of mental health is surprisingly in its infancy. We have hardly scratched the surface with repairing brain damage. A lot of criminals and unstable people simply have brain damage. Theres plenty of cases of wild reckless and dangerous people that were cured with 20 sessions of electroshock therapy to reset the brain.

Its certainly possible a lot of criminals can be rehabbed.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Waste of time and resources to do so in anyone over a certain age, pretty much after 10 years old, you cant understand as much as then and you can still be molded to understand whats wrong and right.

A hood rat will never change.

A white trash, will never change and so on.

Not even gonna mention overpopulation and "human rights" that come in this cases.

Cause apparently a teenage thief and child murderer is required to exist in the outside world for some reason.

Plus, its a choice after a certain point, most of the criminals have terrible backgrounds but thats the problem of letting criminals exist and create such environments, its an endless circle.

Its the same in my country with Gypsies, we avoid any gypsy child and shoo them away cause we know they are only trying to steal and nothing else, but they are taught to do that since they can walk.

Do note, these arent Romani people.

Now why dont they simple grab them all and throw them in prison?

"Generalization and human rights".

There was this interview on one of them that by choice moved away from the whole stuff and actually finished "High School", he kept saying how even the 10 years old dont wanna finish school, they prefer going around spitting on people and stealing and nothing else, cause its how they are taught.

No rehabilitation can save them.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-05-19 at 04:10 AM.

All? Obviously not. That's like asking if you think all students can graduate college

It doesn't take away that rehabilitation is better than punishment any day

All with a big A? No, of course not. Some people are just lost to society.

But I think most are.

No.

And for people like the teens in this story they shouldn't even be given the chance. Their lives became forfeit the second they choose to kill an innocent child. Death sentence is acceptable.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know, but I know that you can never tell with 100% certainty that any given person cannot be rehabilitated, so you gotta keep trying.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends, some will give up and try to find a better way others will continue to fuck up till they are buried in the ground or imprisoned for life. I know some who changed their ways and never ever went back to crime and I know some who still do horrid shit and I avoid them or have cut them off out of my life. I think if the person did something really fucked up they should never be free again. but yeah some can be and some can't.
    Last edited by Dellis0991; 2017-05-19 at 04:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can as in possible if all parties cooperate? Yes in the mast majority, linked story included. Want to be rehabilitated or do people feel they deserve/worth rehabilitation efforts is a different story.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Its the same in my country with Gypsies, we avoid any gypsy child and shoo them away cause we know they are only trying to steal and nothing else, but they are taught to do that since they can walk.

Do note, these arent Romani people.

Now why dont they simple grab them all and throw them in prison?

"Generalization and human rights".

There was this interview on one of them that by choice moved away from the whole stuff and actually finished "High School", he kept saying how even the 10 years old dont wanna finish school, they prefer going around spitting on people and spitting, cause its how they are taught.

No rehabilitation can save them.
    This demonstrates a societal lack of self awareness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Depends on the crime, any person that is willing to physically harm another person e.g. murder, rape, or molestation I'd say probably not. Those kinds of crimes require a person to be fundamentally flawed mentally. It also depends on the circumstances, you can kill a person when it's for self defense but the latter two require premeditation and a complete lack of compassion.

For things like drug offences you could argue that the majority of those crimes shouldn't result in prison time anyway, circumstances permitting of course. Basically anything that only affects the individual committing the crime I'd say they could be rehabilitated. There's a giant spectrum of crimes though so it's hard to say really. For someone like Bernie Madoff I think that falls into the category of a mentally flawed person that's willing to financially destroy countless people for personal gain without regard for how the people will be affected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    This demonstrates a societal lack of self awareness.
    I figured it was just a case of self aware ignorance.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Doubt it. I grew up in the perfect environment to turn badly and didn't, simply because i always thought ahead and measured the impact of my actions on long terms.

Something most criminals simply can't do. Otherwise they wouldn't get in these situations in the first place.

No. I believe that real evil exists. Some people are sadistic and take pleasure out of causing pain and suffering, and have zero remorse. There are some people who cannot ever be rehabilitated, and in fact don't really want to be. There will always be psychopaths, sadists, predators and opportunists.

Keep in mind, I don't think the majority of lawbreakers fit into that category. But people like that do exist - the true monsters of humanity. They cannot and will not be rehabilitated and it's a waste of resources to try.

I think most people will realize what they've done and realize the path their life has taken doesn't forgive their choices.
    Rehabilitation is a tough concept in general. You can't rehabilitate people who don't believe they've done wrong, which is a big issue with most criminals.

I think we also need to ask the question "Should all criminals be rehabilitated?"

I agree that most criminals can and should be. But whichever one of those assholes killed the 6-year-old, even if he could be rehabilitated, I would not be in favor of rehabilitating that piece of shit. Let the fucker rot in prison the rest of his life.