Page 1 of 2
LastLast

US special ops just got 350 kamikaze drones to fight ISIS in Iraq

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-sp...in-iraq-2017-5

Awesome, these man guided kamikaze drones will be great at taking out individual targets with little collateral damage.

After an urgent request earlier this year, US special forces were just given 350 kamikaze drone missiles to help fight ISIS in Iraq, Defense One reported.

The drones, called Switchblades, are fired from bazooka-like launchers and have cameras and a cursor-on-target GPS navigation. They can stay airborne for approximately 15 minutes and at speeds up to 100 MPH.

AeroVironment, which makes the Switchblades, describes them as a "miniature flying lethal missile" that can be "operated manually or autonomously."

After an urgent request earlier this year, US special forces were just given 350 kamikaze drone missiles to help fight ISIS in Iraq, Defense One reported.

The drones, called Switchblades, are fired from bazooka-like launchers and have cameras and a cursor-on-target GPS navigation. They can stay airborne for approximately 15 minutes and at speeds up to 100 MPH.

AeroVironment, which makes the Switchblades, describes them as a "miniature flying lethal missile" that can be "operated manually or autonomously."

This is how adaptive the enemy was,” Thomas said. “About five or six months ago, it was a day that the Iraqi effort almost came to a screeching halt. Literally in the span of 24 hours, there were up to 70 drones in the air. At one time, 12 ‘killer bees,’ if you will, right overhead.”

Around that time, SOCOM started working with the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab to convert IED detectors and jammers into drone jammers.

Very nice indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Very nice indeed.
    Nicer than the copypaste job anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Nicer than the copypaste job anyway
    lol, they should strap some go pros on those suckers so we can see isis getting fucked, cant get enough of those kind of videos

7+ Year Old Account
    lol, they should strap some go pros on those suckers so we can see isis getting fucked, cant get enough of those kind of videos
    Why would they do that...they already have cameras...

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Why would they do that...they already have cameras...
    Those are for targeting not for the public to see. I want to see the footage.

I guess they could capture and record on those to though.

I love all those drone footage clip from syria/iraq and these would be awesome as well.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2017-05-20 at 05:03 PM.

I guess these things will be the preferred weapon of Skynet too when Skynet goes rogue and tries to wipe out the human race.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I guess these things will be the preferred weapon of Skynet too when Skynet goes rogue and tries to wipe out the human race.
    If I was AI, and wanted to kill the human race, I'd just develop biological weapons. Why destroy usable infrastructure for no reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

7+ Year Old Account
    Those are for targeting not for the public to see. I want to see the footage.

I guess they could capture and record on those to though.
    If these are fired from shoulder mounted launchers, they aren't large. You couldn't put a go pro on them. someone will undoubtedly record and leak this.

If these are fired from shoulder mounted launchers, they aren't large. You couldn't put a go pro on them. someone will undoubtedly record and leak this.
    Would be pretty sick to see and yeah i missed the part that they are launched from bazooka like launchers.

yeah it would be pretty tough to get a go-pro on there.
    Last edited by P for Pancetta; 2017-05-20 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    If I was AI, and wanted to kill the human race, I'd just develop biological weapons. Why destroy usable infrastructure for no reason.
    Your failure is thinking you know the AI agenda. Destroying the inefficient infrastructures of ants is exceptionally preferential, especially since the death of said ants will be a passive acquisition. Salvage is more readily available among wreckage rather than woven in structure.

Expect these kamikaze drones to have a significantly higher priority than blood-borne pathogens.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Trolli View Post
    Your failure is thinking you know the AI agenda. Destroying the inefficient infrastructures of ants is exceptionally preferential, especially since the death of said ants will be a passive acquisition. Salvage is more readily available among wreckage rather than woven in structure.

Expect these kamikaze drones to have a significantly higher priority than blood-borne pathogens.
    Would still be a complete waste of time and resources. Skynet will stick to the tried and true method of nuclear fire.

OT: Christopher Titus is a fucking prophet.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Deleted
    "Little collateral damage" is fine, I guess?

I like this slow move away from capturable armaments.

15+ Year Old Account
    Please tell me they scream deus vult right before impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    "Little collateral damage" is fine, I guess?
    1. One has to be a fool to believe that there can be no collateral damage in any war. No one has the technical capability to avoid it.
    2. Western world actually is very good at keeping said damage to minimum. Good example is to simply look at casuality reports, starting with 20th century until nowadays.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    I like this slow move away from capturable armaments.
    Surely single use munitions like this represent a significantly higher cost than multiple use weapons?

What advantage do these bring over conventional drones, mortars or some other theoretical weapon?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    http://www.businessinsider.com/us-sp...in-iraq-2017-5

Awesome, these man guided kamikaze drones will be great at taking out individual targets with little collateral damage.
    These drones require boots on the ground to use. Most collateral damage occurs in scenarios where there aren't boots on the ground, so it won't help much with that.

This is more like a sniper rifle that doesn't require line of sight.

I wouldn't call 100 MPH exactly missle like speed. Better than sending troops in that's for sure.