Page 1 of 3
LastLast

20 million people are starving and the media only cares about Trump, says UN

The other news stories are holding up a match in the darkness, Trump is holding up a candelabra of magnesium flares. I wouldn't be surprised at this point if he's the most known person in the world.

UN guy says Trump is drowning out all the other news stories. They also go into how Trump has said that he thinks the UN is a waste of time, the problem is that the US donates most of the money to food programs so what's going to happen to that?

Also other countries act up because nobody is paying attention to what they do. Israel is moving more settlers to the West Bank, Assad is cremating thousands of Sunni bodies to cover up war crimes, etc. Nobody is paying attention to these stories because of Trump.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a7745931.html

Twenty million people around the world are starving to death and the United Nations said the world is only paying attention to the latest scandal of Donald Trump.*

“If you turn on ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CNN — it’s nothing but Trump, Trump, Trump, Trump, Trump, Trump, Trump!,” said the director of the UN’s World Food Programme (WFP).*

Director-General David Beasley, a former governor of South Carolina, said the famine affecting Yemen, South Sudan, Somalia, and Nigeria is “not fake news, this is reality.”*

The Republican, whose appointment was supported by the Trump administration, leads an organisation whose largest donor is the US.*

Mr Trump has not been shy in his criticism of the UN, calling it “just a club for people to get together, talk and have a good time” in December 2016.*After the appointment of US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley, Mr Trump hosted the UN Security Council at the White House and said the US would reform spending in the world body because he was "disappointed" with member countries lack of progress.*

Republican leaders have*followed Mr Trump’s lead on calling for an end to US contributions to the organisation, which cover approximately 22 per cent of the overall budget and 28 per cent of the peacekeeping budget.*
    Steve Taravella, WFP’s Washington DC-based communications cfficer, told The Independent that though Mr Trump’s rhetoric is concerning, it will likely not negatively affect WFP’s anti-famine efforts.

“There has always strong bipartisan support in Congress for food aid,” he said.*

In fact, Congress recently approved $990 million in this year’s spending bill - valid until October 2017 - for general food aid.*
    Mr Taravella said though WFP is “extraordinarily grateful” for US support the problem is now how quickly the aid reaches the organisation.*
    “People are dying today not three months from now.”*
    He explained that WFP is ready and able to deploy aid, in any form, as soon as they receive it.*
    South Sudan situation

Among other worries is if the aid will come in the form of cash or food rations, which agencies and programmes that aid will go to, and which countries will be designated as aid recipients.*
    Mr Taravella said the US Agency for International Development (USAID) will determine the details, but they have yet to do so.*
    A new head for the State Department sub-agency was only recently appointed by Mr Trump, amid talks of reorganisation and proposed cuts to the tune of nearly 28 to 31 per cent of the $50 billion budget.*
    Mr Taravella said the WFP has weathered storms like this before, however.*“Even in the best of times, the US budget can be unpredictable,” Mr Taravella said, adding that the US is not the only country the agency has appealed to for increased funds.*
    The $990 million is only a temporary stop-gap to a problem that requires $2bn this year alone, let alone additional funds to make sure famine conditions do not return and persist.*But, Mr Taravella explains, food aid discussions are cannot be “in the abstract. This is very real...and dire.”*
    “We’re focused on on trying to get the job done, not the political” circumstances, he said.*
    In 2014, WFP was faced with another urgent plea for funds to help millions of refugees and internally displaced people.*
    The organisation was forced to place nearly half a million people on meager 850-calorie “diets” in UN-run camps in South Sudan, Central African Republic, and Chad due to funding shortages.*
    “None of us like to do this,” Mr Taravella said but it has become a new norm for the agency as numbers of refugees and internally displaced people surge due to increased conflicts in Yemen, Nigeria, South Sudan, and Somalia in particular.*

The intense heat and impending rainy season will likely make matters worse.*
    WFP also has to limit the number of people it can support because of limited food rations.*
    Mr Beasley said that before agreeing to take the job, he had canvassed Congressional leaders to gauge their commitment to WFP, and found it “tremendous.” However, he said he expects the plea for funds in Mr Trump’s 2018 budget “to be a dogfight.”

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Think about the children?

You could literally pull this up at any time in history and complain that people don't care about starving people in Africa because they're too busy thinking about the most important man on Earth.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not to be heartless but...

I donate quite enough of my income to charities, including feeding the hungry in my own state. Am I allowed to talk about Trump since I'm helping the hunger problem?

And if you want to blame people for why others are starving, Trump is a top contributor to "fuck you, I got mine".
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Not to be heartless but...

I donate quite enough of my income to charities, including feeding the hungry in my own state. Am I allowed to talk about Trump since I'm helping the hunger problem?

And if you want to blame people for why others are starving, Trump is a top contributor to "fuck you, I got mine".
    To be fair, some of that starvation comes from people not having a fucking clue how to feed themselves or their children without relying on frozen meals and fast food. Or have zero idea how to budget or shop properly.

These do not negate the people starving because of actual poverty and lack of resources.

I think giving them aid in form of food is counterproductive. Why should they buy food from their local farmers if they can get food for free by various organizations? The local farmers will not be able to operate if nobody is buying their food.

10+ Year Old Account
    We need a guy, to introduce and pass a budget, that would cover aid. Unfortunately, it's the same guy that campaigned on cutting foreign aid. Also, same guy who supported the appointment of former governor complaining in OP. America first...

http://www.feedingamerica.org/hunger...act-sheet.html

Twenty percent or more of the child population in 30 states and D.C. lived in food-insecure households in 2014, according to the most recent data available. Mississippi (27%) and New Mexico (27%) had the highest rates of children in households without consistent access to food.[ii]
    In 2014, the top five states with the highest rate of food-insecure children under 18 were Mississippi, New Mexico, Arizona, Alabama, and Arkansas.[iii]
    In 2014, the top five states with the lowest rate of food-insecure children under 18 were North Dakota, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, and Virginia.[iv]
    I guess this is how news need to report stories about needing money from federal government to feed children all over the world, without talking about Trump. Just say "that guy"...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump talks a lot and most of what he says regarding international matters are things he flips flops on when his entourage points something out to him how it actually works and what it actually is, UN will be another one of those things.

The starving is something that is mentioned often the problem is we have been conditioned from young age to almost believe that is simply how it is, not because someone told us it is that way but because decades have past and nothing changes.

I contribute monthly to doctors without borders for the record, but i can't help to be conditioned to the point i would seem i'm almost a bit untouched by it. So i can understand the frustration of one directly inside the situation where the media would rather follow a figure like trump than this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    To be fair, some of that starvation comes from people not having a fucking clue how to feed themselves or their children without relying on frozen meals and fast food. Or have zero idea how to budget or shop properly.

These do not negate the people starving because of actual poverty and lack of resources.
    Saying some of that hunger comes from not knowing how to feed them selfs, is far from fair. It might be true in a few cases, but this is talking about places that literally do not have any food to manage. You can say they don't have a sustainable infrastructure, which would be true and fair. But, saying they don't know how to manage eating, makes up such an insignificant number of the whole, that mentioning it as a reply is disingenuous, not just unfair.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    We need a guy, to introduce and pass a budget, that would cover aid. Unfortunately, it's the same guy that campaigned on cutting foreign aid. Also, same guy who supported the appointment of former governor complaining in OP. America first...

http://www.feedingamerica.org/hunger...act-sheet.html

I guess this is how news need to report stories about needing money from federal government to feed children all over the world, without talking about Trump. Just say "that guy"...
    these stats are so wrong, they assume everybody low income has problems with access to food. fucking stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    I think giving them aid in form of food is counterproductive. Why should they buy food from their local farmers if they can get food for free by various organizations? The local farmers will not be able to operate if nobody is buying their food.
    The reason they are starving is due to a combination of elements, large periods of drought and war's, not their inability to grow and sell produce or manage livestock.

Saying some of that hunger comes from not knowing how to feed them selfs, is far from fair. It might be true in a few cases, but this is talking about places that literally do not have any food to manage. You can say they don't have a sustainable infrastructure, which would be true and fair. But, saying they don't know how to manage eating, makes up such an insignificant number of the whole, that mentioning it as a reply is disingenuous, not just unfair.
    and where is this exactly?

- - - Updated - - -

also we pay 22% of the budget for UN? wtf

is this another case of europe and friends getting a free ride? we kinda used to that.

So...millions of people are starving...and if the media paid any attention this would change?
    Is there anyone that believes that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Instead of posting threads on a gaming forum, we could all be out spoon feeding homeless orphans. Think about that.
    "It is not wise to judge others based on your own preconceptions or by their appearances."

Are we talking about America or a country with an actual food shortage and not just people being in poverty/have poor budgeting survival skills.

I deliver pizza. You get used to watching people feed four year old children on 20 dollars worth of pizza a day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Trump talks a lot and most of what he says regarding international matters are things he flips flops on when his entourage points something out to him how it actually works and what it actually is, UN will be another one of those things.

The starving is something that is mentioned often the problem is we have been conditioned from young age to almost believe that is simply how it is, not because someone told us it is that way but because decades have past and nothing changes.

I contribute monthly to doctors without borders for the record, but i can't help to be conditioned to the point i would seem i'm almost a bit untouched by it. So i can understand the frustration of one directly inside the situation where the media would rather follow a figure like trump than this.
    You can view ratings for which charities do what and even look up their spending records here:

https://www.charitywatch.org/top-rated-charities

You even get a sort of those rated B+ or higher in each category... be careful though... there is an A rated trap under Health-General.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Are we talking about America or a country with an actual food shortage and not just people being in poverty/have poor budgeting survival skills.

I deliver pizza. You get used to watching people feed four year old children on 20 dollars worth of pizza a day.
    I'm talking about the OP........

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    and where is this exactly?
    From the OP:

The organisation was forced to place nearly half a million people on meager 850-calorie “diets” in UN-run camps in South Sudan, Central African Republic, and Chad due to funding shortages.
    ---

also we pay 22% of the budget for UN? wtf

is this another case of europe and friends getting a free ride? we kinda used to that.
    That's a symbol of American wealth and power. We control the UN with far greater that 22% influence. On top of that, US maintains over 40% of world's wealth, with the only other country over 10%, being China at 10.5%. We are so dominantly powerful that we dominate with our influence. People who complain as you did, have a bizarre view of America. We contribute by far more than anyone else, but our power and influence is far greater than the percentage we contribute. Other countries would kill, and do kill, to get a single percentage of influence into our mega pie.

http://fortune.com/2015/09/30/americ...th-inequality/

20M people starving is not news, sadly, and this not being covered has nothing to do with Trump. Stop making everything about Trump!

Sound like a record low to me, actually. Keep up the improving, world!

Deleted
    My neighbours buy more food than they can eat, so our shared trash bin is always half full with thrown away food.

It doesn't matter if they eat it or not, it doesn't matter if I shower for too long or not, neither the water, nor the food magically will appear in a refugee camp in Africa. Instead my neighbours and I will have to pay more on food and water because we buy/use it wastefully.

Trump or no Trump, I can assure you, that I spend very little thoughts on the tragedies that happen in our world. I would lose myself in a philosophical monologue about how cruel and unfair the world is. In the end, I'd achieve nothing but get sad. That doesn't mean you can't once in a while appreciate your silly luck, that for the most part is nothing but dice that landed in your favor and - see ? The sad-wanking has already startet.

Now back to Trump.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's the welfare queen argument all over again. A tiny percentage actually abuse the system, but they don't care about statistics. 0.2% of people abusing the system suddenly means everyone is abusing it. Thus, a tiny percentage of people not knowing how to feed themselves suddenly means that all the poor with resources available to them can't do it right...

When I worked minimum wage, back when I was still in high school and early college, I naturally worked with a lot of people who were much older than me and that was their primary work. They were some of the most ingenious cooks and budgeters I've known. They learned out of necessity. It's always been the rich snobs I've met that have a hard time boiling pasta without burning it.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    It's the welfare queen argument all over again. A tiny percentage actually abuse the system, but they don't care about statistics. 0.2% of people abusing the system suddenly means everyone is abusing it. Thus, a tiny percentage of people not knowing how to feed themselves suddenly means that all the poor with resources available to them can't do it right...

When I worked minimum wage, back when I was still in high school and early college, I naturally worked with a lot of people who were much older than me and that was their primary work. They were some of the most ingenious cooks and budgeters I've known. They learned out of necessity. It's always been the rich snobs I've met that have a hard time boiling pasta without burning it.
    Boiling pasta right is a bit of a misnomer, same for boiling eggs. There is actually a lot of skill to get that right and not over do it. In most cases, I bet what people consider a hard boiled egg or well done pasta, are over done. I'm not even talking about more advanced techniques, like those Russian egg cups. It's pretty hard to nail the white part to be cooked, but the yellow center to just be warm. Water boils at different times based on many factors on your location. It's not as easy as the saying implies...

(5-7 min, have an ice bath ready to stop the cooking immediately.)

"Don't look at the disaster our party gave you, think about these starving brown children on the other side of the world that we're all of a sudden claiming to care about while also proposing budgets that would cut aid to them!"

Not surprised.