Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it would keep the entire of Azeroth and beyond relevant at all times, which is not a bad thing. Levelling is a dated system anyway, progression through gear is and has been the way to control player power for years now. The point at which this failed, is when they introduced ilvl scaling of open world content.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
    Condense and cap the zones by expansion:

1-60: Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor
    60-80: Outland and Northrend
    80-100: Pandaria and Draenor
    100-110: Broken Isles
    110-120: "Expansion"
    I'd go a step further and go:
    1-60: EK+Kalimdor
    60-100: all the other expasions (because Outland and WotLK are just too dated)

Not really. It would speed up leveling not having to travel from zone to zone after doing 5 quests in them, but I am generally not a fan of scaling worlds in video games. Never played a game that did it right.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    If everything scales, why hava a leveling system and gear at all?
    At this point, I kind of agree, levelling is kind of pointless and you don't even learn your class doing it as nothing could possibly kill you. Then again I'm sure Blizzard wants people to experience the vast world they have created, and realize there is so much more in the game than just the current expansion zone.

I do actually. Keep the current expansion for the current expansion range, but each previous expansion can be merged into one giant levelling area. Want to go from 1-20 in Northrend? Why not? It would certainly mean that if you want to play an entire zone to see how the story ends, that you won't be finishing it with grey quests that award very little XP.

While we're at it... Add a difficulty option. Scale enemies to have more HP, hit harder, but award a ton more XP. Take the XP bonus off the heirlooms (being overpowered forever is reward enough, IMO), and make faster to level at a harder setting. Keep that option at end-game as well, rewarding more AP for completing your world quests on Demonic IV difficulty or whatever, so you can get more AP at the expense of taking a little longer to kill stuff. This is what they should have done in 7.2, rather than just make things have more HP for no reward, and end up with people removing gear to cheese it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, if only to put an end to the 'I'm a 110 asshole with too much time on my hands, guess I'll go kill leveling quest npcs to make lowbies miserable' nonsense.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

The old world should scale to 60, we out level zones far too quickly and eventually just abandon our quests and move on, same with Outland, it should scale to 70 who the hell wants to be shoved into that overcrowded shitshow known as HFP?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I sure do. Id love to see the Legion level scaling tech applied to every zone, including from level 1 all the way to level 120 in the next expansion.

It would make EVERY zone relevant and any gear drops, or quest rewards would be relevant and scaled to match your current level.

The level and ilvl scaling tech was the best thing by far to come out of Legion in terms of improving the leveling experience and gameplay, as well as the max level experience.
    Sure. If you get rid of the archaic level mechanic, we can talk about it.

Not that it would ever actually apply to me, because after playing WoW for 10 years, I've basically leveled everything there is to level.
    Except a rogue. I hate rogues.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro1990 View Post
    Every zone? No way. Based on expansion bracket? I can see myself enjoying that. Like classic scaling to 60, bc to 70, wrath to 80 etc.
    This is kind of how I feel. This way you can choose to zones you really love to level in while moving though that expansion, be rewarded properly, but eventually having to move to the next expansion once you bust out of a bracket. I REALLY wish they would do 5 mans like this too. It's terrible with random ques getting the same one over and over because of an level unlock.

But I also see value in the whole world being useful at max level. Although I think they could accomplish this with world quest technology and just have mobs affect by the WQ scale. But to really make the whole thing viable it would take a lot. Like making old herbs, old ore, old skins, and old reagents meaningful again because to get people to go there will take more than just mobs being of your level. Everything has to be meaningful. Not to mention the added need of a carrot like world quests or high end world drops from farm spots. Maybe world bosses. But all these things likely have draw backs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by By the Emperor View Post
    Yes, should scale all the way up to the previous expansion's max level, that way you can skip Outland and Northrend if you so prefer.
    Then why not simply go down to 8 levels all in all?
    1 Classic
    2 Can go to BC
    3 Can go Wrath
    4 Can go to Cata
    5 Can go to MoP
    6 Can go to Draenor
    7 Can go to Legion
    8 Can go to Next Xpack

Talent System can be unlocked with class quests right from the start.

... I would hate such a system but if scaling is real there is really no reason not to do it this way.

Deleted
    Although I don't think you should be lvling from 100-110 in Oldzones. The content should be scaleable to 110 through opt in where you get as an added quest reward tokens which you can use to buy stuff.
    I wouldn’t even mind having a hard and normal difficulty version of zone where the hard version grants tokens and gold/consumables.

The reason why i wouldn’t want an entire expansion to be like 58-70 and than next 68-80 is because you can get 15-20 lvls out of one expansion and you’ll have the same issue you have now where your lvling faster that the questzone lvl's. To make a zone harder you could just scale the lvl of mobs higher than your character through difficulty option and taking the final zone of an expansion to be slightly higher in lvl.

-------------------------------------------
    Aside from lvl scaling i'd wish blizzard grouped the questzone that share story.

In this type of system you can do whatever you feel like doing. All zones can lvl scale but there’s a minimum requirement to prevent extreme difficulties because it expects you to have a certain amount of abilities.

For example:
    Stormwind Kingdom
    requirement: lvl 5
    zones: Elwyn Forest, Westfall, Redridge and Duskwood.
    info: Learn about the people of the Stormwind Kingdom, their history and struggles they face at the hands of Defias Brotherhood and Blackrock Orcs.
    timeperiod:
    Race: Humans (major)

The Dwarven Kingdom of the Bronzebeards
    requirement: lvl 5
    zones: Dun Morogh, Loch Modan, Wetlands
    info: Learn about the people of Ironforge and their Kingdom, their history and strugles they face and the rivalry between the Dwarven Kingdoms.
    timeperiod:...
    Races: Dwarves (major), trolls (minor), orcs (minor)

Troll Empires
    requirements: lvl 25
    zones: Stranglethorn Vale, Hinterlands, Tanaris, Temple of Atal'Hakkar
    Info: The troll empires were the most powerfull empires on Azeroth in the past. Having been split and shattered the disgruntled Trolls are stirring to regain their lost glory. In this campaign you will be fighting trolls and learn about their ancient culture.
    Timeperiod: ....
    Races: Trolls (major), Goblins (major), Pirates (medium), Wildhammer Dwarves (minor)

Blackrock Mountain
    requirements: lvl 25
    zones: Burning Steppes, Searing Gorge.
    info: After the second War the old Horde was shattered and scattered but the remnants of the Blackrock Clan are once again in Blackrock Mountains under new management. But also the Dark Iron Dwarves have once again settled into the mountain. Both sides having an uneasy truce so that they can focus on their old enemies the Humans and the Bronzebeard Dwarves.
    Races: Orcs (major), Dwarves (major), Dragons (major). Humans (minor)

The Titans, Shapers of Worlds
    requirements: lvl 50
    Zones: Badland, Stormpeaks, Uldum
    Info: Azeroth had many upheavels that completly reshaped Azeroth. One of the earliest one was when the Titans arrived on Azeroth during a time when many of the current races did not excist on Azeroth. As you go through these zones you will learn what roll the Titans played on Azeroth and their fight against ancient godly beings. What's more the Dwarves found out they share a link with the Titans but what is it?
    Races: Dwarves (major), Titans (major), Old Gods (fair). Orcs (minor)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    Then why not simply go down to 8 levels all in all?
    1 Classic
    2 Can go to BC
    3 Can go Wrath
    4 Can go to Cata
    5 Can go to MoP
    6 Can go to Draenor
    7 Can go to Legion
    8 Can go to Next Xpack

Talent System can be unlocked with class quests right from the start.

... I would hate such a system but if scaling is real there is really no reason not to do it this way.
    Several reasons, the major one being that people don't like it when Blizzard removes things from the game (the ability pruning has not been popular in Legion), they would feel robbed of all those levels they have earned claim that they have been nerfed (even if the relative numbers stay the same). We had a similar outcry with the stat-squish, and we will experience it again with the next expansion's stat squish.

Another reason is that it would be really confusing for a lot of people, having heard of the previous max levels, entering the game when it only has 8.

It would also probably feel like a much longer grind for people, the same way people complained Cataclysm and MoP took longer to level up with 5 levels than it took in prior expansions with 10, the total time is about the same but because they only had half the number of times to level up it felt longer between each level which made the whole thing feel more grindy.

There's really no reason to reduce the level of players, I think it more likely that Blizzard would raise the starting level since that would feel like players strength was increased rather than decreased. Even if the end result is the same, people react to it differently.

Also, in your example I wouldn't be able to skip BC or Northrend. =(

Another thing to note; scaling has in a sense always been thing, from the very release of the game.

Every time a new expansion or even patch launches, our characters strength is relatively nerfed. What is really the difference between a level 5 bandit, a level 50 bandit, or a level 100 bandit? Is the level 100 bandit stronger than the level 5 bandit lore wise? No, it's the exact same bandit, appearing in whatever level the zone is relevant for.

Why is it that even though we're supposed to believe that we become stronger and stronger, our enemies, whatever they may be, be it cats, bandits or birds, their power is just enough to oppose us. It's because they have been tuned to our strength, which means we don't really become more powerful, which means the levels are already pointless even without scaling.

The scaling technology just makes this more apparent, I think.
    Last edited by mmocf8e5b938a8; 2017-05-22 at 10:26 AM.