Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Oregon IS broke....

- - - Updated - - -

If you want it managed by the feds, a 4th grade art class would be an improvement.
    Damn, give the gov't some aloe for that burn.

It's true though, our gov't sucks at running things, which is why I don't want their hands in the pot regarding healthcare, it will take a shit system and turn it into even stinker shit

15+ Year Old Account
    Reading this, I was initially thinking that sounded like a LOT of money. Then I decided to look into what that would be per person a year based on that estimated 200 billion in additional taxes. It works out to $5019 a year per person (based on the current population of CA, not what it would be in the future when this would be implemented). Again, it sounds like a lot. Then I decided to check what I paid for my single coverage. Its $430 a month for me. That works out to $5160 a year. So IF I lived in CA and IF this was implemented, it would actually be slightly cheaper for me. When I factor in what I'm paying for my deductible, this is actually MUCH cheaper per year.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    LOL refer to previous post

Look Dranei lover, I'm not against the "idea" of universal healthcare, I just don't trust our government in implementing it. CBO has estimated the cost at 2.6 trillion for the first year and 30 trillion over 10. Ouch
    Then go single payer. We have a very successful single payer system in the country at the moment. Yes, single payer is different than universal. You should look it up sometime.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Oregon IS broke....
    You can thank Measure 86 and the absolute stupidity of the kicker. $1.6 billion deficit but Oregon has to send $400 million back to taxpayers because growth exceeded projections? Brilliant!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Then go single payer. We have a very successful single payer system in the country at the moment. Yes, single payer is different than universal. You should look it up sometime.
    I should, I guess when I have the time, it's easier for some folks who don't have a job and live in moms basement

10+ Year Old Account
    US healthcare spending:
    $3.2 trillion, ~$10,000 per person. (only 86% of people covered)

Proposed CA single payer system healthcare spending:
    $400 billion for 40 million people, ~$10,000 per person. (100% of people covered)

So what's the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    Reading this, I was initially thinking that sounded like a LOT of money. Then I decided to look into what that would be per person a year based on that estimated 200 billion in additional taxes. It works out to $5019 a year per person (based on the current population of CA, not what it would be in the future when this would be implemented). Again, it sounds like a lot. Then I decided to check what I paid for my single coverage. Its $430 a month for me. That works out to $5160 a year. So IF I lived in CA and IF this was implemented, it would actually be slightly cheaper for me. When I factor in what I'm paying for my deductible, this is actually MUCH cheaper per year.
    I think there's also other factors to look at too though, will your quality of care be the same? will there be excessive wait times?

I don't trust the ability of the government to lead a group of boy scouts out of a wet paper bag, let alone a multi trillion dollar healthcare system.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    US healthcare spending:

$400 billion for 40 million people, ~$10,000 per person. (100% of people covered)

So what's the issue?
    This is 100% coverage? Or how does it work?

US healthcare spending:

So what's the issue?
    assuming that the gov't runs it effectively and efficiently, which they don't have a great track record of doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think there's also other factors to look at too though, will your quality of care be the same? will there be excessive wait times?

I don't trust the ability of the government to lead a group of boy scouts out of a wet paper bag, let alone a multi trillion dollar healthcare system.
    Weren't you in the army? Didn't you say deep ago that the government paid for your school?

You've made your living on the coattails of the government and yet you spend most days sitting on here bashing how evil and terrible they are at everything when they dare spend money on other people...? Like what the fuck?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchles View Post
    You can thank Measure 86 and the absolute stupidity of the kicker. $1.6 billion deficit but Oregon has to send $400 million back to taxpayers because growth exceeded projections? Brilliant!!!
    That would STILL make Oregon underwater for $1.2b, mostly thanks to PERS.

- - - Updated - - -

Weren't you in the army? Didn't you say deep ago that the government paid for your school?

You've made your living on the coattails of the government and yet you spend most days sitting on here bashing how evil and terrible they are at everything when they dare spend money on other people...? Like what the fuck?
    Earned vs unearned government spending.

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL refer to previous post

Look Dranei lover, I'm not against the "idea" of universal healthcare, I just don't trust our government in implementing it. CBO has estimated the cost at 2.6 trillion for the first year and 30 trillion over 10. Ouch
    i don't love draenei. you can't place a dollar value on human life...oh wait your supertony of course you can.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    US healthcare spending:

So what's the issue?
    That's still relatively high compared to the rest of the developed world. I think there's still work to do to bring it down. Even 6-8k/person is a major tax break for companies down there.

15+ Year Old Account

The government won't suddenly fire every doctor and nurse in California. That's not how this works. My wait times today aren't amazing. I frequently had multi hour waits last year for my appointments. All that will change will be how billing is handled. If you want to discuss how efficient our doctors and hospitals are, that's an entirely different discussion.

IIRC, the United States--as a nation, not as the government--spends somewhere from 18-20% of the economy on healthcare.

To put that in perspective, most other First World nations are in the 9-12% range.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the question is more about feasibility moreso than straight cost. Could California realistically afford to implement single-payer? I'm guessing probably not, but their economy is around the size of France's and they have universal healthcare.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Two pills of aspirin will be $30 in a hospital when you go to Walgreens around the corner a buy an entire bottle for half that lol. Lack of price controls is probably the only sane starting point.
    That's a symptom of private insurance and only private insurance. Essentially what happens is a ridiculous billing and negotiation procedure between an insurance rep and the hospital charge master.

It starts out where the insurance rep tries to cut cost by denying payment on most of the charges. The chargemaster comes back going "well fuck you then, this bandaid that you agreed to pay is $90 billion". They do this dance back and forth until they eventually agree on the total sum in the middle. However, when you don't have people to negotiate these prices, simple things become insanely overpriced.

Well when everyone sacrifices their bodies and minds to the gov't for 12 years, and EARNS benefits under a gov't contract, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    California is probably one of the few states that could actually afford this. Oregon would go broke. Will be interesting to see how this goes.
    Their general fund budget is only $125 billion. They would have to tax the hell outta their subjects to make this work.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    Their general fund budget is only $125 billion. They would have to tax the hell outta their subjects to make this work.
    According to this:
    http://healthpolicy.ucla.edu/publica...AL_8-31-16.pdf

71% of healthcare spending in California is already paid for by taxpayers.

$260 billion out of the state's $367 billion healthcare spending was publicly funded. So going from this to fully public is not much of a stretch.