Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Trump calls for end to filibuster

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...-to-filibuster

Baby Trump can't handle any opposition.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd agree that it should be done away with in it's current form, if not for the fact that the Republicans would just put it back in place right before the next election.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    I'd agree that it should be done away with in it's current form, if not for the fact that the Republicans would just put it back in place right before the next election.
    Considering it's the only thing keeping Trump from getting his healthcare and budget from goin through, at this point anyway it's doin some good.
    Last edited by Blade Wolf; 2017-05-30 at 02:51 PM.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

10+ Year Old Account
    The Senate will laugh this off as much as TrumpCare 2.0 and his budget. They know full well Trump is cripplingly inexperienced and the temperment of a small child, and Trump has given them very little they actually wanted -- the SCOTUS pick was about it.

There is no realistic chance of this happening.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post
    Csondering it's the only thing keeping Trump from getting his healthcare and budget from goin through
    See that's the thing: it isn't.

TrumpCare 2.0 was so toxic, unable to make even 50 votes, the Senate ignored it in its entirety and was working on their own bill weeks before the CBO report. And the budget report was DOA. Yes, the fillibuster might affect other things later, but not those two.

Of course he is. I'm waiting for someone to produce evidence of Trump supporting the filibuster in recent history.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Of course he is. I'm waiting for someone to produce evidence of Trump supporting the filibuster in recent history.
    Actually, here is Trump making the same claims in early May and the Senate GOP dismissing it out of hand. I doubt enough has changed for this time to be different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Here ya go.
    "Thomas Jefferson wrote the Senate filibuster rule. Harry Reid & Obama killed it yesterday. Rule was in effect for over 200 years." - Trumpster 2013
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

It should be removed... the problem is only the party in power ever moves to remove it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    It should be removed... the problem is only the party in power ever moves to remove it.
    I am for the complete removal of the senate and make the HoR ten times the size, diluting the power of all representatives, empowering citizens to partake in democracy, and letting the representatives actually work and live in their communities. It would be a year round session, and voting for bills can be done online by the reps.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even the GOP as off the rails as they are know that eliminating the filibuster will come at a huge political price. Not generally the thing you want to do when your party is struggling with infighting and you have a president rocking historic unpopularity ratings.

The filibuster will stay, at least until the 2020 elections.

No the filibuster is more important than ever

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with the current form of filibuster is that it's too "fast and easy". A filibuster shouldn't be procedural, but an actual filibuster where you explain your position. Remember Ted Cruz reading green eggs and gave during a filibuster of ACA repeal? That actually forced Cruz to show his point or lack there of. Mitch McConnel just saying 'filibuster' isn't how it should be done...

Trump's suggestion is the opposite of what is needed.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post
    http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...-to-filibuster

Baby Trump can't handle any opposition.
    It's funny how people are pro/con on filibusters when it depends who is doing it. Apparently in your world, only one party uses filibuster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Here ya go.
    "Thomas Jefferson wrote the Senate filibuster rule. Harry Reid & Obama killed it yesterday. Rule was in effect for over 200 years." - Trumpster 2013
    There's a reddit for that:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TrumpCriticizesTrump/
    Putin khuliyo

They already fucked up with the SC appointment. If they kill the rule altogether it would be an enormous mistake.

Unless you believe dems will never be in control again.

The filibuster is supposed to be a check on the power of the ruling party. Without it, all we have is the tyranny of the electoral majority which basically states if the farm states don't like it, it doesn't get done. Since our Congress is pretty much just Red Vs Blue right now I'd rather fix the source of the problem, ridiculous partisanship that has brought us to this point, rather than the symptom (destroying the filibuster).

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    It's funny how people are pro/con on filibusters when it depends who is doing it. Apparently in your world, only one party uses filibuster.
    But it is very weird though, health care, tax reform are being done using reconciliation the biggest problem Trump has had with congress has been his own party not democrats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Why should it be removed?

Its a system useful to both parties for valid reasons.

The filibuster ensures that a general consensus and not just a simple majority is required to pass important legislation.

Imagine if 100 people had to decide between pizza or sushi, winning vote is what everyone has to pay for and eat. Sushi wins 51 to 49. Everyone has to eat sushi. Thing is that effectively half of the people voted against pizza, thats not a group decision. And there is enough if them to halt the entire food operation.

A more serious example, imagine if only a simple majority was needed to remove a President. The US government would completely shut down because presidents would have removed left and right even though they still maintained the support (through partisan representatives) have the country. There would chaos in the streets are people lost complete faith in the voting process.

If the filibuster is removed then everything should require at least 65% support to pass.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Why should it be removed?

Its a system useful to both parties for valid reasons.

The filibuster ensures that a general consensus and not just a simple majority is required to pass important legislation.

Imagine if 100 people had to decide between pizza or sushi, winning vote is what everyone has to pay for and eat. Sushi wins 51 to 49. Everyone has to eat sushi. Thing is that effectively half of the people voted against pizza, thats not a group decision. And there is enough if them to halt the entire food operation.

A more serious example, imagine if only a simple majority was needed to remove a President. The US government would completely shut down because presidents would have removed left and right even though they still maintained the support (through partisan representatives) have the country. There would chaos in the streets are people lost complete faith in the voting process.

If the filibuster is removed then everything should require at least 65% support to pass.
    That's the thing though - currently, neither party is in any way interested in working with the other. Both Republicans and Democrats, to be honest.
    Though I would put a bit more blame on Republicans here, simply because most of their agenda at the moment seems to be 'undo what Democrats did last time around'. Will likely be the same once Democrats get in control again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Going to save it for a daily laugh, thanks.