Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Wanting to start late.

Afternoon all,

So ive not played WOW for a while and ive got some free time at the moment, ive been keeping tabs on the expasion but im wondering if its too late to start?
    Im worried about this legendary weapon malarkey, is there a quick way to catch up in the field with current levels and or items? or will I always be playing catch up and never be able to get in groups because of the low level weapons?

Thanks all

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringers View Post
    or will I always be playing catch up and never be able to get in groups because of the low level weapons?
    It is NOT too late to start now, but you really really really want to read up on guides regarding artifact weapons, order halls and how to get flying in Legion. Those will answer most of your questions and help you get there faster. There are excellent catch up mechanics in place, don't worry.

Also people can't see your artifact weapon level, so it wont stop you from getting in group but people will laugh at your clown dps if you're behind. I assume starting research for AK now should go really fast so you should be able to somewhat catch up, but you'll stay behind for a while until we reach one of those "cap moment" where everybody has time to finish everything before a new patch comes out, which should be at the end the the ToS patch I assume, then everyone kinda start on the same level for Argus.

Legendaries kinda drop fast, so I wouldn't worry too much about it, if you're lucky you'll get the good ones fast and in 1 month you won't even worry about that at all.

It depends.

It's never too late, but it's way, way, way harder, given the system of AK + AP, legendaries and everything. Come 7.2.5, you'll have 12 legendaries to get, now, realistically speaking, each class only has ~2-3 really good ones and a really good, king one.

Your chances to get the good ones, because, let's face it, everyone wants them are very slim and given you get a legendary every 2 weeks if you clear LFR/N/HC, some M+, WQs and some other things, they can be pretty far off.

That being said, 7.2 added nice quality-of-life things and 7.3 is coming hot with Argus and it's obvious it's going to be an amazing story arc, given it's the home of Sargeras and the Legion, so, lots of things to look forward to!

Afternoon all,

So ive not played WOW for a while and ive got some free time at the moment, ive been keeping tabs on the expasion but im wondering if its too late to start?
    Im worried about this legendary weapon malarkey, is there a quick way to catch up in the field with current levels and or items? or will I always be playing catch up and never be able to get in groups because of the low level weapons?

Thanks all
    It depends on how long would be "too long" for a catch-up session, in your opinion. There is some hard time gating, such as the order hall questlines and order hall traits, which will always take a minimum of X many days to unlock the next step, so you're always looking at having to go into a second (or third) month of subscription to have all the "basic" stuff unlocked on a main. Alts that you decide to level up after your main is done will have a much much easier time, since a lot of the progression you do on your main will be transferable to your alts (artifact knowledge), but your main will have to do it "the hard way".

Best of luck.
    Also, the PTR is usually available if you just want to have a taste of what awaits you.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you wish to start, then it is never late to start. Still a raid incoming, as well as a another chapter to come
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Its never too late, but it will cause a lot of frustration.

When everyone around you will be getting 10mil AP tokens, you'll be getting 10-20 times less AP because of stupid time gating of AP research. So not only your weapons will be worse, you will have harder time improving them.

When everyone around you have farmed Titanforged gear for months, you'll be lucky to get base set and no matter what you do, your gear will be worse because of WF/TF system.

Everyone around you will quest several times faster because of flying mounts, you'll spend at least a month grinding all reputations and doing all quests to get flying achievement. Rep is gated behind availability of world quests, so you'll need to play every day in the morning and evening.

While many players have best available legendary weapons, you'll be lucky to get couple in few months. Chances of them being best in slot are next to none.

Maybe you'll catch up in few months if you grind 24/7 and have good luck, but probably not.

You'll be severely nerfed in every activity. Your performance will be worse. Being behind because of time gating and/or RNG is frustrating. Unlike in previous expansions, in Legion there is nothing you can do because everything is either time gated or has many layers of RNG on top of more RNG. It is massive constant grind without guarantee of success.
    Last edited by mmocbeba583bd0; 2017-05-24 at 09:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's never too late to start, honestly. Do it....Legion is awesome.

I resubbed a month ago after quitting during Highmaul progression (so around 2 years ago?) and my highest toon is only 880. Only the most desperate of groups/raids will take me since everyone is pretty much 905+ with multiple legendaries and 36+ traits unlocked. What I'm doing now is farming tokens so I can upgrade every single one of my gear to 890+ so I can join progression for Normal ToS. Thing is though this farming for token thing is making me want to quit again because it's so boring and I need like 60K tokens to get full 890+
    Last edited by lmryll; 2017-05-24 at 10:37 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lmryll View Post
    I resubbed a month ago after quitting during Highmaul progression (so around 2 years ago?) and my highest toon is only 880. Only the most desperate of groups/raids will take me since everyone is pretty much 905+ with multiple legendaries and 36+ traits unlocked. What I'm doing now is farming tokens so I can upgrade every single one of my gear to 890+ so I can join progression for Normal ToS.

It just sucks that LFR is the only means I can do the most recent 3 raid tiers.
    Just get into a casual raiding guild. There's plenty of guilds that are willing to literally carry people through everything up to Nighthold HC, and once you're geared, you can get into core groups. But yeah, if you play a pure DPS class, getting into Mythic + dungeons is a major pain in the ass. Yesterday I saw "LFM basic Mythic 890+ BIG DICK DPS" advert, really made me think about the state of this community.

if you have A LOT of free time, are willing to farm a short period (5-6 weeks) like hell, and accept you are always behind, go for it. but if you think in terms of old xpacs ala "lets boost a char into gear and make em raid competitive in 3-4 weeks" - forget it.

to be raid competitive (i talk about HC and M here), you need:

- 52 points in your AW, whats A LOT AP to farm
    - at least 1 good Legendary (you have, with 7.2.5, 12 legendaries, 3 are good, 1 is superior) with a 4/12 chance (33%).
    - if your first Legendary 33% hit failed, you have to farm A LOT.
    - at least 1 good and 1 mid trinket.
    - 3 good relics
    - gear level of ~900-905

in this xpac it is a HARD way, to start late. but its doable. IF you have the time and willing. but if you want equip fast, to raid HC quickly, and just have fun, but outside raid wanna logoff, this xpac isnt for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    If you wish to start, then it is never late to start. Still a raid incoming, as well as a another chapter to come
    2 raid tiers left. It is as easy as it has ever been to catch up now. The first part of Legion was fairly alt or new toon unfriendly they have added in several ways to allow people to rapidly catch up though.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by johnyderp View Post
    Just get into a casual raiding guild. There's plenty of guilds that are willing to literally carry people through everything up to Nighthold HC, and once you're geared, you can get into core groups. But yeah, if you play a pure DPS class, getting into Mythic + dungeons is a major pain in the ass. Yesterday I saw "LFM basic Mythic 890+ BIG DICK DPS" advert, really made me think about the state of this community.
    Yeah I need better luck with guilds. Got any tips in joining a good one? I thought I lucked out when I joined my most recent guild because they carried me through Heroic NH (my first run of NH outside of LFR) which bumped my gear to 880 but since then, they've focused solely on clearing Mythic NH so I'm out of luck again. Every guild spam I see on trade chat is recruiting for Mythic NH. Understandable since NH has been out since what... January?

As for Mythic dungeons, I've yet to get into one. I was wondering why since my iLvl should be enough to get me in at least one lowbie Mythic+ a day so I decided to make my own group and saw like a dozen 905+ DPS apply within the 5 minutes. No wonder groups don't want a lowly 880 toon like me lol! Why do these guys even want to run Mythic+ dungeons? Does the loot there scale up to like 915/920?

I mean most guilds doing M NH will likely do N/H at some point during the week, at least my guild does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Afternoon all,

Thanks all
    It's never too late to start. Every patch now Blizzard seems to include catch-up mechanics that'll shoot you right along to max character level and competitive gear level.

its not too late, it take me only 2 weeks for new alts to be 110 and 880-885 ilvl and in a casual way, after that just find any guild who farm hm palace and want new member and you can up to 900-905in just a few weeks, after that if you really want more, gquit and check fr any mythic raid who also want new member around 905 ilvl

Quote Originally Posted by lmryll View Post
    Yeah I need better luck with guilds. Got any tips in joining a good one? I thought I lucked out when I joined my most recent guild because they carried me through Heroic NH (my first run of NH outside of LFR) which bumped my gear to 880 but since then, they've focused solely on clearing Mythic NH so I'm out of luck again. Every guild spam I see on trade chat is recruiting for Mythic NH. Understandable since NH has been out since what... January?

As for Mythic dungeons, I've yet to get into one. I was wondering why since my iLvl should be enough to get me in at least one lowbie Mythic+ a day so I decided to make my own group and saw like a dozen 905+ DPS apply within the 5 minutes. No wonder groups don't want a lowly 880 toon like me lol! Why do these guys even want to run Mythic+ dungeons? Does the loot there scale up to like 915/920?
    Finding guilds that are progressing on heroic, or only raid heroic(due to limited roster) is usually a good choice. Normally a good atmosphere too, as they're laid back.

As for M+, clearing it means another chance towards a legendary as you accumulate bad luck protection. And the rare chance of a titanforge to a very high ilv, as well as some artifact power. Most people are too lazy to make a group, so even at 880 those 905+ players would flock to you for having a key and being willing to create a group.

While it takes more effort, you can also make a raid for Nighthold Normal/Heroic. It's similar to making a M+ group, and if you do it when the Artifact Knowledge bonus is out for Broken Shore buildings, even more geared players look to pug the raid and filling a group can be quite easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    2 raid tiers left. It is as easy as it has ever been to catch up now. The first part of Legion was fairly alt or new toon unfriendly they have added in several ways to allow people to rapidly catch up though.
    Indeed, you are right.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Bad time to come back. Wait until the final patch (Argus) when all the catch up stuff is available.

catch ups are already in place. AP will come naturally from playing as will gear. the only thing that will hold you back is legendaries and even the first few of those come fast now as long as you're doing content. plus I assume you're not trying to play very high end since your just coming back so legendaries won't even hold you back that much in that aspect